D Rinat Valiev (2014, 68th, TOR; traded to MTL; traded to CGY)

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
I figured this player deserves his own thread after the outstanding start he's had to the season (18 points in his first 13 games). I haven't had a chance to watch him play but an NHL amateur scout I know listed Valiev as one of his favorite prospects last year - and this is a scout who has an exceptional eye for D talent.

Valiev - who was passed over in the 2013 draft - has good size and is posting impressive numbers, yet there is little to no chatter about him. Is it solely because he's Russian? Anyone who gets to see him play often - please chime in with your thoughts on his potential.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Liked him a lot already last year. Was still surprised he went as high as in the 3rd round but obviously it was well deserved. Leafs got a good one.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Really liked him last year. Here's what I said about him in my final WHL rankings last season.

#16 - Rinat Valiev - Kootenay Ice - D - L - 6'1 - 190

Valiev is a two-way blueliner for the Kootenay Ice. He's got good size and strength and displays a strong ability to get around the ice. He showed me some nice hockey IQ in my viewings, with an ability to create plays offensively or to read and react defensively. He's got a nice rugged edge to him and plays a very pro-ready style of hockey. Has flown under the radar for much of this year, but I'm a big fan.

Top End NHL Potential: Middle pairing defenceman

Pick Prediction: 4th round

Has obviously taken his game up a notch this year, too. Has a chance at being a solid NHL player in a few years.

Ace88*

He and provorov are really similar players. I bet theyd make a killer pairing...be smart, russia

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I doubt he'll keep up this production but considering his weird transition into North America, I'll take it.

He's all ready signed to an ELC too, so very likely to be on the Marlies next season.

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
Torontos got nice blueliners on the come up. Between Valiev, Nilson and Loov I say at least 2 end up at least #3/4 defenseman in the NHL.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Anybody have the opportunity to see this guy play as of late? Now listed at 6'2", 208 lbs, apparently good mobility and now has 43 points in 44 games. What can we hope for out of this player?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Anybody have the opportunity to see this guy play as of late? Now listed at 6'2", 208 lbs, apparently good mobility and now has 43 points in 44 games. What can we hope for out of this player?

My post above on what I said about him last year remains true. Plus, he's showing nice consistent signs of development.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Just got recalled to the AHL I believe, for anyone who watched him, is there anything here? How did he play in the WHL? Projection?

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Just got recalled to the AHL I believe, for anyone who watched him, is there anything here? How did he play in the WHL? Projection?

He was arguably the best player for the ICE in their series against the Hitmen. He's a consistently solid defenceman, that can turn a two-way game if necessary. He's got a good slapshot but doesn't depend on it.

Not afraid to engage physically in front of the net, or get in front of shots. Solid in the corners.

He's not a stand-out guy that you're going to notice every shift, but then again, he's not a liability that you're going to notice every shift. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I never hear about this guy again, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he grows into a top-6 or top-4 NHL defenceman in 2 or 3 years.

Good call-up by the Marlies - I hadn't realized he was signed.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's not a stand-out guy that you're going to notice every shift, but then again, he's not a liability that you're going to notice every shift. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I never hear about this guy again, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he grows into a top-6 or top-4 NHL defenceman in 2 or 3 years
Exactly how I would describe him as well. Good shot on the PP.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
"Bust" is an overly harsh assessment at this point. He's not lighting the world on fire, but he's been playing regular top-4 minutes on defense for the top team in the AHL. He's also scoring at a pace that would average out to about 30 points in a full 82-game season. I've seen a few Marlies games live this year, and while I can't claim to have spent a lot of time focusing on Valiev, or to have noticed him standing out a ton, he seems to be a pretty capable puck-moving defenseman.

At just 20 years old, I'd expect he's ticketed for another year or two of development in the AHL before the Leafs either move on from him, or decide he's ready for a serious shot at the NHL. And he's going to have some increased competition for playing time on the Marlies next year, with Travis Dermott, Andrew Nielsen & Cody Donaghey all scheduled to graduate from junior hockey to the AHL. Though that may be partially off-set by one or two of Stuart Percy, Scott Harrington & Victor Loov moving on to full-time NHL jobs, and the Marlies potentially moving out some AHL veterans like Andrew Campbell & TJ Brennan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad