LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Don't love the hockey sense, can rush the puck at a high and has some skill but that's kind of his whole game right now. Impressive for his age that he can do this but you wonder how much he can improve.

I think he is just starting to feel his oats and what he can do. Will be an interesting development year for him and to see how he matures as a hockey player.. He has the physical tools for sure.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Don't love the hockey sense, can rush the puck at a high and has some skill but that's kind of his whole game right now. Impressive for his age that he can do this but you wonder how much he can improve.

There is still some rawness to his game, lets wait until he gets more experience in a mens league first.

Larry Lightning

Aug 27, 2018
Tampa
Looked like a top 10 pick to me at the Hlinka tourney but I understand the questions about his game. He can look unpolished and erratic at times but he was in control with the puck on his stick constantly. He is pretty calm while also being quite aggressive in his own zone and can really turn it up while transitioning the puck up the ice. His skating is something else.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Great mix of size, skating and speed. And nothing more.
Below average hockey IQ, nothing about first pass ability, and surprisingly pretty average shot.
Seems like Swedish Sean Day

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Where is he playing?
Is he injured? I have not heard from him since the Hlinka tournament.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Where is he playing?
Is he injured? I have not heard from him since the Hlinka tournament.

His season starts today. Has looked good in the pre-season according to the twitter, haven't seen him play myself. Not down with the J20 team so that's also a good sign.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
Is there any similar projection to a Brent Burns type of a player? Seems like you could almost transition him to FWD the way he jumps up in plays and attacks...

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Is there any similar projection to a Brent Burns type of a player? Seems like you could almost transition him to FWD the way he jumps up in plays and attacks...
Not at all apart from the skating. He doesn’t have the high-end hands, he has some skill sure but not high end skill. He builds his game around good positioning and smarts, which Burns doesn’t have. I don’t get this comparison at all, the best comparison I can come up with is a better skating Ekholm.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not at all apart from the skating. He doesn’t have the high-end hands, he has some skill sure but not high end skill. He builds his game around good positioning and smarts, which Burns doesn’t have. I don’t get this comparison at all, the best comparison I can come up with is a better skating Ekholm.
His tool-kit reminds me of guys like Chychrun and Wilde. Pinpointing how smart he is, is another story. I saw a few mistimed and bad rushes during Hlinka that got exposed at the U-18 level, and will get exposed again as the game quickens. But, I need to see more to see if it was bad habits, an off-game or two, or a long-term issue.

Reactions: teemussalami1

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
His tool-kit reminds me of guys like Chychrun and Wilde. Pinpointing how smart he is, is another story. I saw a few mistimed and bad rushes during Hlinka that got exposed at the U-18 level, and will get exposed again as the game quickens. But, I need to see more to see if it was bad habits, an off-game or two, or a long-term issue.

He doesn't strike me as the smartest player, but regardless has the tools. Just have to hope he doesn't take the Bode Wilde path in his draft year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think if you put Broberg on the 1st PP of last years U-18's he'd put up significant points. It is not hard to get PP points when you are playing with Hughes, Wahlstrom, and Farabee.

I'll phrase it a different way then. I don't think he has the offensive talent that Wilde does.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'll phrase it a different way then. I don't think he has the offensive talent that Wilde does.
I think the root of that is what we think of Wilde. I think his low-iq or recognition abilities off-set that. He has the same issues that people get when they are a man-child at from a young age, and have trouble adapting as windows close as the game quickens. Wilde constantly skated into trouble. Broberg has the same size and explosiveness in open ice that Chychrun and Wilde had at the same age.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the root of that is what we think of Wilde. I think his low-iq or recognition abilities off-set that. He has the same issues that people get when they are a man-child at from a young age, and have trouble adapting as windows close as the game quickens. Wilde constantly skated into trouble. Broberg has the same size and explosiveness in open ice that Chychrun and Wilde had at the same age.

I think Wilde is a well above average playmaker, tremendous stick handler, and he's also a big goal scorer. He has the ability to QB a PP. He didn't fluke his way into points on that team. He played a big part on that PP. I think his skill-set is pretty defined. He's an offensive defenseman right now who could develop a two way game, if he limited his puck mistakes. Right now, his decision-making in the defensive and neutral zones is too risky for him to play anything other than a very erratic two-way game. I've seen him play some very good games defensively where he looked like a two-way beast. The potential is there. Can he improve his decision making? There are other little things he needs to improve defensively. Positioning, being a little smarter with the penalties he takes, but its mainly decision-making with the puck, whether thats quick reads or when he's trying to make a play.

I think Broberg would be similar to Wilde, if Wilde wasn't very talented offensively. I see a lot of people say Wilde is just some big guy who can skate, and I think that a very unfair analysis of his game. The kid is very talented and has some things he needs to improve on, but it seems like these things have been magnified the last six months in the media. I think he was a steal for the Isles.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think Wilde is a well above average playmaker, tremendous stick handler, and he's also a big goal scorer. He has the ability to QB a PP. He didn't fluke his way into points on that team. He played a big part on that PP. I think his skill-set is pretty defined. He's an offensive defenseman right now who could develop a two way game, if he limited his puck mistakes. Right now, his decision-making in the defensive and neutral zones is too risky for him to play anything other than a very erratic two-way game. I've seen him play some very good games defensively where he looked like a two-way beast. The potential is there. Can he improve his decision making? There are other little things he needs to improve defensively. Positioning, being a little smarter with the penalties he takes, but its mainly decision-making with the puck, whether thats quick reads or when he's trying to make a play.

I think Broberg would be similar to Wilde, if Wilde wasn't very talented offensively. I see a lot of people say Wilde is just some big guy who can skate, and I think that a very unfair analysis of his game. The kid is very talented and has some things he needs to improve on, but it seems like these things have been magnified the last six months in the media. I think he was a steal for the Isles.
I think he'll have significant issues fixing what is wrong with him, as the gaps only get smaller as the game speeds up.

He has skills, but I see similarities with Broberg on how they can exploit things due to being man-children combined with explosive skatings. Chychrun also had this. Trying to figure out how much is actually adaptable or they are just crippling IQ decisions is the hard part.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
As someone who (clearly) cares about hockey sense more than any other trait (see: The People vs. Farkas in the Evan Bouchard thread), I don't see what the issue is...at least with the scouts that I know, I got a lot of agreement about Bouchard as being a dunce. But so far this year, I'm 0 for 1 on people agreeing with me that Broberg is not only smart, but very smart.

From what I saw, which was every shift of the Hlinka tournament (and two of the games, three times) and then a couple games in J20, he seems very advanced to me in shutting down plays before they start a la Drew Doughty. He's a step ahead, not a step behind among his peers in my viewings. I'm not some stubborn blockhead though, so if we have some video to back this up or that we can discuss, I'd very much enjoy that...can someone point out a few of these poor decisions for illustration purposes please?

If anything, I think it's the hands that are lacking...not the smarts. I see everyone coming in and saying "oh, what a toolsy player...10 cent head though" and I think it's closer to the opposite. I'd like to see him make a second man miss, I'd like to see him make a good F1 miss while puck carrying...he's not like Burns or Wilde at all, those guys are all skill...Broberg - and I think someone mentioned it - is like Mattias Ekholm when he was a hatchling, where he could carry it across two lines if he can swing the net with speed and just coast along the gutter against a weak forechecker.

I would like to see Broberg improve his technical skills, particularly at top speed. I'm open to the idea that hockey sense is an issue, but I've seen hours of his game play at this point and I look at it as a really strong positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: G0bias
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad