D Mikael Wikstrand - Färjestad BK, SHL (2012, 196th, OTT)

General Granny*

A thread on a 2012 7th rounder?

lolwut.

Outscoring a 1st round forward as a dman in the same league and a top 4 dman for Sweden and QBing the 1st PP.

But I guess you are right, hur hur der screw 7th rounders when did a player ever come out the 7th round, especially a smooth skating Swedish two way dman, why even have 7th round picks, it should be just 3 rounds right?

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
He is really good. His development this year has been amazing.
Good to hear.
He's a much better player than say, Ryan Murphy.

Guy's a 1st round talent no doubt.
LOL. The homer in this post is strong.
Outscoring a 1st round forward as a dman in the same league and a top 4 dman for Sweden and QBing the 1st PP.

But I guess you are right, hur hur der screw 7th rounders when did a player ever come out the 7th round, especially a smooth skating Swedish two way dman, why even have 7th round picks, it should be just 3 rounds right?
Did that 1st round forward (I'm assuming Landeskog) get to play with Anze Kopitar and Bobby Ryan?

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Good to hear.

LOL. The homer in this post is strong.

Did that 1st round forward (I'm assuming Landeskog) get to play with Anze Kopitar and Bobby Ryan?
Your ignorance is strong as well.

I guess Wild fans can't discuss the future of OHL leading scorer when injured Tyler Graovac (a 7th Round Pick), etc, etc.

General Granny*

Was Forsberg, and he was outscoring him before those came on the team, last I checked Forsberg is now ahead.

I am not saying he is better than 1st rounders or that he will be the next Lindstrom, just that he's a legite prospect that has developed nicely and worth a thread on.

So before you got mental over a thread over a 7th rounder like you are the one that pays for this site's servers and bandwidth how about you do a little research about the player first.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Wikstrand has developed this past year to what an average defender with his projection would take in 3 years. Marvelous development year outscoring Forsberg and tying OEL's goalscoring record by a defender. Called up to the SEL and now playing as Sweden's best defender so far in the pre-tourney WJC.

What a curve for this guy.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Its too bad hes a 7th rounder. Really thought he had NHL potential for a second.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I was actually surprised he went so late in the draft, he has no real weakness to his game. Very good on the PP and in the offensive zone but also solid in his own end. His production has actually gone down since Kopitar and Bobby Ryan joined him on the PP in Mora, that's pretty strange...

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
If his first couple games of pre-competition plus his first half in Allsvenskan are any indication, he probably should have went in the 1st round last year. Sounds crazy, but that's what he looks like so far.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
If his first couple games of pre-competition plus his first half in Allsvenskan are any indication, he probably should have went in the 1st round last year. Sounds crazy, but that's what he looks like so far.
So you're saying that 6 months after the draft, he should be leapfrogging 160 or so players?

He was alright in the USA vs Sweden game. I mean hell, I wouldn't trade the Flyers 2012 3rd round pick, dman Shayne Gostisbehere (who scored the game winning in OT for the USA in that same pre-comp game) for him.

He's progressing very good by all indications, and that's great. But to say that he should have been a 1st round 6 months after he was a half round from being undrafted is a pretty homer comment. Just sayin'.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
So you're saying that 6 months after the draft, he should be leapfrogging 160 or so players?

He's progressing very good by all indications, and that's great. But to say that he should have been a 1st round 6 months after he was a half round from being undrafted is a pretty homer comment. Just sayin'.

Its not just sens fans tho.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa

That's definitely a stretch. The draft was 6 months ago. In that case Charles Hudon would be a top 20 pick. Even though I thought he was a 2nd-3rd round guy. Wikstrand has progressed nicely, but I'm not getting too excited about his development just yet.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com

He was alright in the USA vs Sweden game. I mean hell, I wouldn't trade the Flyers 2012 3rd round pick, dman Shayne Gostisbehere (who scored the game winning in OT for the USA in that same pre-comp game) for him.

I would. I'm a Flyers fan, FWIW. I've also seen Wikstrand 10ish times this season in Mora and twice with the WJC team.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Why do they not have his stats updated on hockeydb? Annoying...18 points in 29 games is damn good.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Wikstrand has developed this past year to what an average defender with his projection would take in 3 years. Marvelous development year outscoring Forsberg and tying OEL's goalscoring record by a defender. Called up to the SEL and now playing as Sweden's best defender so far in the pre-tourney WJC.

What a curve for this guy.

Sounds impressive, on the opposite curve as Bystrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad