Prospect Info: D Mats Lindgren -- Taken 106th in 2022

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Red Deer had lost five in a row going into the playoffs and they win their series 4-1 over Medicine Hat. Two OT wins helped them, Lindgren was okay.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is what it seemed to me. I was operating on the assumption that Lindgren, Konecny, and Lyckasen all get let go.

There was progression from last year to this year, but the arc from his draft year to now - with the dip that was last year - doesn't really make me think he's going to get a deal. Maybe I'm wrong. But I don't see a dominant or even above average 20-year old defenseman in the WHL games of his that I've watched. And since he's not offensively dominant and isn't the first choice in shutdown situations, I can't see why they would do this. I'd rather they use a contract slot on someone like this - Mikulas Hovorka Elite Prospects - transaction for Mikulas Hovorka who offers skills they don't have in a right-handed shooting chassis.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I know you keep track of these things -- what does Rochester/Cincy have signed next year as far as defensemen go?

I'd think that would play a factor in a case like this.
1712421703249.png

Zach Metsa is it as far as non-Sabre contracts.

Rochester will have:

Definitely: Zach Metsa, Nikita Novikov, Vsevolod Komarov

Likely (RFA Re-signing needed) : Riley Stillman, Kale Clague, Calle Själin

Possibly: Ryan Johnson (if not ready), Joe Cecconi, Jeremy Davies (UFA Re-signing needed)

All of this to say, not really space for Lindgren off the hop. If they signed him, I see Rochester scratch at best, ECHL at worst.

So don't bother if you don't see something.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I know you keep track of these things -- what does Rochester/Cincy have signed next year as far as defensemen go?

I'd think that would play a factor in a case like this.

Under contract:

Metsa (AHL)
RJohnson (NHL)
Novikov (NHL)
Komarov (NHL)

Held rights:
Sjalin (RFA)
Stillman (RFA)
Clague (RFA)

Prow is probably done though maybe they bring him back one more year. His knees seem shot. Cecconi is Group VI UFA, Davies is UFA, Noah Laaouan is UFA.

Figure they need some vet types back (Cecconi, maybe Davies), then they have a possible 8 from Buffalo to figure in, then the Russians and Metsa. Does Lindgren do enough to be in that mix? I say no.

Reactions: Zman5778

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The only reason I ask(ed) is that guys with his profile (smaller, offensive D) tend to do well in the AHL. I get that there's likely no NHL upside there. And hey, Cincy needs guys too.

But I, as always, defer to those that have watched him this year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The only reason I ask(ed) is that guys with his profile (smaller, offensive D) tend to do well in the AHL. I get that there's likely no NHL upside there. And hey, Cincy needs guys too.

But I, as always, defer to those that have watched him this year.

Jacksonville. :D

I would rather keep Sjalin if he is game to stick one more year. At least it looks like he has the chops to play at this level. And maybe Lindgren gets the ECHL gig as a non-contract signee. That might be an option too initially. He is such an excellent skater that he should be viable in a minor role.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We'll find out shortly if he's getting a contract. If they give him an ATO and assign him to Rochester he's still in their plans. If not, well don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya

Sounds reasonable. That Miedema didn't get invited to Rochester after Kingston got stomped out of the OHL playoffs was also telling.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad