Columbus, Ohio
marcus-05_imgver_full-667.jpg

Birthyear: 1996-05-08
Birthplace: Skellefteå, Sweden
Position: D
Shoots: L
Height: 191 cm / 6'3"
Weight: 73 kg / 161 lbs

"Pettersson is a tall and lanky two-way defender who plays with good mobility, strong positioning and impressive passing ability as well as the ability to make quick decisions. He needs to use his size better as there is not much physicality in his game." - FC

"Pettersson has the prototypical height and frame to be an NHL defenseman. Mobile for his size, he plays a sound positional game and is a skilled passer. Not overly combative nor assertive; he is still developing physically." - HF

7th among European Skaters in CSS Final Rankings.

Last edited:

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
E-Mac's War Room profile on Marcus:

Excerpt:

"Mr. Up – I am referring to Marcus as Mr. Up not just because of his 6’4 height but also because there is so much potential upside to his game.
Offense – Marcus is a converted centre so, yes, he can do offense. Marcus is just a natural at offense, hockey sense, skating, passing, shot, all the skills. However, it is his ability to make quick decisions in the moment that sets him apart from the pack.
Defense – His size, skating and positioning along with an active stick and a long reach make a case for his defensive game (which is still a work in progress) now. Add high level passing skills and an ability to join the rush and Marcus starts to get interesting as a defenseman on the way up.
Improvements to make – At 6’4 and only 167 lb., Marcus needs to fill out. This will then allow Marcus to introduce some physicality to his game which for now is virtually non-existent.
Draft placement..."

Click here for full article

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I know he'll never be at the same level , but he sounds Lidstromesque.

Any know his upside ?

I think the upside (pardon the pun) is huge. The fact that he has so quickly transitioned to D and done it at a high level means there may even be more growth as he goes on. I think the questions are about his ability to fill out his frame and whether or not he has (or can obtain) defensive instincts.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Going to be a nice "off-the-board" pick for someone around the middle of the 1st round b/c of his physical tools and potential ceiling. Just a hunch.

Now here's a man who has his ear to the ground. And, if I'm not mistaken, you are the same poster who believes Donato has a shot at the late 1st. You are ahead of your time, or at least 99% of HF boards, sir.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Now here's a man who has his ear to the ground. And, if I'm not mistaken, you are the same poster who believes Donato has a shot at the late 1st. You are ahead of your time, or at least 99% of HF boards, sir.

i had the #47 pick in my mock draft and both petersson and donato were available at #46, i tried to trade for the pick but the guy decided to keep it and took donato :(. would have been such a steal, im high on both these guys aswell

that being said im not sure they're guarenteed to make it into the first, i can see them going around 26-34 tho

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
A player I am hoping the Canucks have on their radar. He is a project but if all things work out he will be a very good hockey player.

I see a mix of Jonas Brodin and OEL in him.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
THN had this to say about him a little earlier in the year. I know THN kinda sucks, but at least it's a SCOUT's opinion and not theirs.

Marcus Pettersson, D – Skelleftea (Swe.)
One scout said Pettersson has the most upside of any European in the draft. A big kid who covers a lot of ground, Pettersson has an edge to his game and can move the puck pretty decently. He has a ways to go, but he’s already playing up with the men in Skelleftea after a successful start to the campaign in junior. Draft eligible in 2014

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
MP is currently a huge reach in the mid-first. His defensive shortcomings have to do with ability not textbook learning. Funny how it works in hyping the unknown.

I even would feel very uncomfortable rolling the dice on him as a pure puck mover as he hasn't established himself in that domain either.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
I think the Wings take him as long term developer if no one else is avaliable at 15. Could be wrong.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
"Pettersson, a lanky 6-foot-3 defender, will need to put on some more weight before coming over to North America. That hasn’t affected him much in Sweden though, as Pettersson got his 2013/14 season started off in a big way with 13 points in 27 games from the blueline. His strong play at the J20 level has earned him a call up to the top league where he has been held pointless in his first nine games.

Right now, Pettersson projects as more of an offensive defender, especially considering he was converted from the center position. He can unleash a strong and accurate shot, but is also a more than capable playmaker. Some scouts have pointed out his natural offensive instincts as well as his above average hockey sense.

He does see the game well and displays good mobility and positioning. And while Pettersson does still have some work to do to get his defensive game up to speed, he also needs to focus on filling out his frame and adding a physical element to his game.

He’s seen time on both the PP and the PK during his career, so as long as the other dimensions of his game come around, Pettersson should bring some legitimate two-way potential." - http://www.propuckprospects.com

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Made his NHL debut last night VS Chicago, paired with Josh Manson. Received a fairly sheltered 13:28 which could be expected, but managed to finish +2.

His smarts and mobility/reach were evident, but it's also clear that he is still has some work ahead to reach his physical peak - overall a positive debut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad