D/LW Mackenze Stewart - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2014, 186th overall, Vancouver)

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
So the Canucks actually signed this guy today. From my viewings I'm baffled at the signing as I see zero upside, but I'm not a huge WHL guy. Any regular WHL followers able to chip in with some thoughts? Thanks in advance!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Was shocked he was drafted. Even more shocked they signed him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is the worst WHL player I have ever seen get a pro contract. It's debatable if he'll even be good enough to claim an overage spot for a WHL team next year.

Can't skate, no talent, doesn't have a terribly high defensive IQ. Does everything slowly. He's big and can fight a bit.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Quite simply, Benning was/is not ready for an NHL GM position.

He is a guy who has repeatedly shown that he believes that size > hockey playing ability.

Can't wait for this guy to be fired if he continues this **** and doesn't get Subban signed.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Don't worry guys, Benning has a plan. We're going to develop him as a winger.

Brilliant.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If they wanted a goon winger so bad they should have just kept Sestito. He has almost as many points at the NHL level as Stewart does in juniors. Oh and he's already a winger and didn't cost a draft pick.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Quite simply, Benning was/is not ready for an NHL GM position.
Has nothing to do with GM 'readiness', whatever that means. It's just a philosophical difference. Pretty shocking that such philosophies and mentalities continue to be employed by NHL teams.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I'm starting to get the feeling Jim Benning has NO IDEA what he is doing.

Dorsett signed for too much

Sbisa who is pretty bad D-man gets a massive raise.

This Mackenzie Stewart will struggle to make Vancouver's ECHL affiliate.

:shakehead

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Hate to pile on here. But agree with pretty much all of the above. Big body defenseman that didn't stand out at all ever for me. He did take a step forward this year, but I don't see him as close to playing pro. There are a lot of players eligible this year and even overagers that I would consider before. Maybe his transition to forward will allow him to become a Kale Kessy type prospect.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
They are going to look like geniuses if he turns out.. Not a fan of the team but I'd be ok with him breaking out on the wing haha.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I think this is officially the worst player to ever have their own thread on the prospects board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad