D Lukas Dragicevic - Tri-City Americans, WHL (2023, 57th, SEA)

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Dragicevic is fantastic and probably a top 5 D for 2023 right now. His defensive game is excellent.

It’s insane. I could see the WHL alone contributing half of the top-10 and 12-15 first rounders.

I cannot see a world where the WHL places 5 of the top 10. It’s extremely unlikely that 4 from this list (Benson, Dragicevic, Heidt, Howe, Leslie, Yager) end up pushing out ridiculous talents like Carlsson, Dvorsky, Fantilli, Gulyayev, Halttunen, Michkov, Ritchie, and Sale.

I would only have Bedard and Yager in my top 10, and only Dragicevic behind that in the top 20. Deeeep draft.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Dragicevic is fantastic and probably a top 5 D for 2023 right now. His defensive game is excellent.

I cannot see a world where the WHL places 5 of the top 10. It’s extremely unlikely that 4 from this list (Benson, Dragicevic, Heidt, Howe, Leslie, Yager) end up pushing out ridiculous talents like Carlsson, Dvorsky, Fantilli, Gulyayev, Halttunen, Michkov, Ritchie, and Sale.

I would only have Bedard and Yager in my top 10, and only Dragicevic behind that in the top 20. Deeeep draft.

Lots of time for things to shape up. Look at Lambert going from a projected top 3 pick to a mid-late 1st. Some of those names (clearly not Michkov/Bedard/Dvorsky) will slide, while some unknowns will rise. Happens every year.

I also believe Howe is a '24 eligible with a late bday.

I have no insights on how the top 5-10 shapes up as of today, but I also don't think there's much point in projecting that order when we're so far out from draft day.

One thing is for sure, this guy is legit. And GM's love big RHD who can throw the body and put up points. Look at this year, Jiricek is going to go very high with a skillset that is overall quite similar to Dragicevic's.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Any insight on why he didn't make the roster for the Hlinka Gretzky Cup?

He didn't have the greatest camp that I've ever seen. I guess he just lost his spot to Bonk and MacKinnon. Bonk had a great camp, but I wouldn't have taken MacKinnon over Dragicevic.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
He didn't have the greatest camp that I've ever seen. I guess he just lost his spot to Bonk and MacKinnon. Bonk had a great camp, but I wouldn't have taken MacKinnon over Dragicevic.
Still pretty ridiculous to not take arguably the best defenseman in the age group, unless he's injured or some other issue. He was one of the lone bright spots on the U-18 team as an underager, yet he's not better than the 7 guys chosen for this team? I know Bonk had a good camp, but he played Jr B most of the year, while Dragicevic stood out against the best 2022 draft eligible prospects and gained international experience.

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Still pretty ridiculous to not take arguably the best defenseman in the age group, unless he's injured or some other issue. He was one of the lone bright spots on the U-18 team as an underager, yet he's not better than the 7 guys chosen for this team? I know Bonk had a good camp, but he played Jr B most of the year, while Dragicevic stood out against the best 2022 draft eligible prospects and gained international experience.
The only defenseman on his level as a prospect at this camp was Allen IMO. If Drago had a poor performance, then the omission would be fine, but he honestly looked great to me. Non-sensical.

Personally, I thought Dragicevic was the second worst defender at camp. I still had him on my team due to previous pedigree (similar to how Yager and Barlow were not standouts, but still listed), but I don't think it's the most shocking thing in the world if we're going purely on camp performance.

Additionally, I thought Dragicevic really struggled at the recent U18's. He was put in an unfair position, no doubt, but he was a bit of a train wreck defensively.

I actually spoke to a few Western scouts about Dragicevic about the camp (when I was making my prediction based on the two scrimmages), and both told me that they felt Dragicevic was the most overrrated/overhyped player from the WHL from this crop. Said he has some great offensive tools, but decision making and defensive play will cause him to fall. Neither was surprised that he didn't make the Hlinka squad.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Personally, I thought Dragicevic was the second worst defender at camp. I still had him on my team due to previous pedigree (similar to how Yager and Barlow were not standouts, but still listed), but I don't think it's the most shocking thing in the world if we're going purely on camp performance.

Additionally, I thought Dragicevic really struggled at the recent U18's. He was put in an unfair position, no doubt, but he was a bit of a train wreck defensively.

I actually spoke to a few Western scouts about Dragicevic about the camp (when I was making my prediction based on the two scrimmages), and both told me that they felt Dragicevic was the most overrrated/overhyped player from the WHL from this crop. Said he has some great offensive tools, but decision making and defensive play will cause him to fall. Neither was surprised that he didn't make the Hlinka squad.

That’s wild. He was electric offensively at the U18 last year, made great decisions, and was solid defensively. The story was same for his WHL season.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
The whole team struggled, including some 2022 first rounders. They were awful. Personally, I thought he acquitted himself quite well considering the circumstances. I don't think any of the 7 D that made this team would've performed any better, except possibly Allen.

Last edited:

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Was very impressive vs Everett yesterday, his hockey IQ stands out so much. Scored a nice goal reading the play which he jumped up and was sprung on a breakaway which he showed off nice hands. Beat Zellweger on it and outplayed him all night. Tri-City still isn't a very good team so offense will be tough to come by but he takes his chances in the right moments. Was awesome defensively shutting down basically every attempted entry with either his stick or body. Still an absolute joke he didn't make the hlinka and where he's being ranked early on but if he plays like he did vs Everett consistently he should go top 10. One positive of not making the hlinka is extra motivation to prove everyone wrong. Should make the U18s again though as I expect Tri-City to miss the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad