D lines set

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Trotz said Ellis is in over Blum. The lines are officially set per Trotz.

Weber-Josi
Hannan-Klein
Ellis-Gill

He said expect Hannan/Klein to get lots of minutes and be our shutdown line and Klein to get some PP time. Also to expect Weber/Josi to be a PP combo but will mix in Ellis sometimes for Josi to add more offense and limit Josi's minutes some.

These lines were heavily predicted but this puts to rest whether Blum/Bartley will be really competing for a spot this soon.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Interesting. You have to think the short training camp and lack of preseason played into this. Very little opportunity for a younger guy to try to win the coach's confidence over the veteran Hannan. I still hope Blum can turn it around and win a full-time job with the team, but it looks unlikely to happen this season now. I wonder who they'll carry as the seventh defenseman? With the condensed schedule surely they'll want to have someone on-hand for injury replacement instead of having to call someone up.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
the real test of Blum starts now. Does he keep working hard and wait patiently for his chance like Kline did? Or does he sulk and pout? he has to know with the compressed schedule he'll get a some games.... he just needs to be ready..

Webersmashpuck

Mar 17, 2009
Spring Hill
I am just glad we have a defenseman who could be fairly good as our 7th. With the shortened training camp I would not be surprised if Blum had the opportunity at close to 40 games this year.

I also see Josi getting sort of a break this year, because he will be on the first pairing I am sure Trotz will have Klein and Hannan against the other teams first lines as much as possible.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I'm fine with this. Even if we struggle this year, the outlook on the blueline is pretty bright for the next few years. I think Blum will eventually come out of his shell leaving us with one all-star defensemen (Weber), 1 very good defenseman (Josi), and 2-3 very solid blueliners (Ellis, Klein, Blum). If Ekholm continues his upward trajectory, that's even better.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Trotz said Ellis is in over Blum. The lines are officially set per Trotz.

Weber-Josi
Hannan-Klein
Ellis-Gill

He said expect Hannan/Klein to get lots of minutes and be our shutdown line and Klein to get some PP time. Also to expect Weber/Josi to be a PP combo but will mix in Ellis sometimes for Josi to add more offense and limit Josi's minutes some.

These lines were heavily predicted but this puts to rest whether Blum/Bartley will be really competing for a spot this soon.

Seems like Trotz is saying Hannan - Klein will play almost as much as Weber - Josi.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Hannan might give Klein that little bit of security he needs to relax.

If Klein ever puts it all together, he'll be awesome, but I've said the same thing about Legwand for how many years now?

jlsg

Nov 8, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised to see Blum rotated into many of the spots during the course of the year. Doing 4 games a week, week after week will wear on a guy. Giving everyone a game off now and then will be a huge benefit.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I doubt Blum goes back down. He should be our #7 and actually will probably play up here quite a bit

I honestly wouldn't be opposed, while Boruque is injured, to run 7D. McG/Clune aren't going to get much ice time to begin with. Why not dress a 7th D that can contribute on the PP and help with the transition away from one minute-eating pairing. Of course, that needs to go away as soon as Bourque is back.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I honestly wouldn't be opposed, while Boruque is injured, to run 7D. McG/Clune aren't going to get much ice time to begin with. Why not dress a 7th D that can contribute on the PP and help with the transition away from one minute-eating pairing. Of course, that needs to go away as soon as Bourque is back.

problem is then someone in the top 9 double shifts and with the compressed schedule that will wear them out

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I doubt Blum goes back down. He should be our #7 and actually will probably play up here quite a bit

Agreed. 5th/6th defensemen will be rotated frequently with so many games in a tight schedule. Blum could still get plenty of playing time as the 7th D.

problem is then someone in the top 9 double shifts and with the compressed schedule that will wear them out

More the reason to have a guy like Mueller/Latta available on the roster.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville

When McG played last year, someone was picking up his shifts at least half the time. If you rotate the person who doubles on the 4th line throughout a game, I don't think a minute or two of extra ice is going to kill anyone.

n00b1AnPr1nc355

Sep 23, 2008
What do you guys project Josi to end up scoring at? Is he physical? I know nothing about him but seems to be a good sleeper pick up.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
What do you guys project Josi to end up scoring at? Is he physical? I know nothing about him but seems to be a good sleeper pick up.

hes probably going to score more goals than Suter did, and given that he's with Weber and on the 1st PP unit I think he will put up some decent points. Hes more positional than physical, but he's no cupcake(or should I say Fruit Cup).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad