D Kaedan Korczak - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2019, 41st, VGK)

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Big kid who might be next in line for Kelowna who pumps out NHL defenseman at an impressive rate. With Foote graduating to the AHL next year, he may get a bigger opportunity next year and a chance to shine.

kaedan korczak - Twitter Search

elite propsects - Kaedan Korczak

There is no "might be" when it comes to Korczak, this kid is a stud and has future NHLer and impact defenceman written all over him. He was one of Kelowna's better players in the playoffs and is poised for a big breakout in his NHL draft year. I wouldn't be surprised if he surpasses Nolan Foote and ends up getting picked higher than either Foote brother. I think Korczak will be knocking on the door of top 10 by the end of his draft year, providing he continues to develop.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There is no "might be" when it comes to Korczak, this kid is a stud and has future NHLer and impact defenceman written all over him. He was one of Kelowna's better players in the playoffs and is poised for a big breakout in his NHL draft year. I wouldn't be surprised if he surpasses Nolan Foote and ends up getting picked higher than either Foote brother. I think Korczak will be knocking on the door of top 10 by the end of his draft year, providing he continues to develop.

I only saw him in the playoff series against Tri-City, but I thought he stood out for them.

Good to know you think so highly of him.

Reactions: Larry Fisher

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Was going to make a thread for him over the summer but you beat me. As said the kid is a stud and has a good chance of being a 1st rounder next year. It's a great situation next year for him as Kelowna is amazing at developing D and Foote will be going pro so he'll be used a lot in every situation as the #1. Have seen him going back to his peewee days with Yorkton and his numbers should explode next year.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I really think he's going to go between 15 and 20 in the draft. There's lots to like about Kaedan Korczak. You've got the size, the skating, and the hockey IQ. He's playing the top pairing in Kelowna, is playing in all situations and has been great. He's also played in big games and stepped up. He's already got 8 points in 11 games so far this year, so he's going to smash his totals from last year. I'm a huge fan.

EDIT: Don't forget he's also a right handed shooting defenseman, which A LOT of teams are looking for. That's going to add to his current value.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He's also a very physical player which is becoming more rare in draft prospects which makes him even more valuable. His production is very impressive given how much Kelowna has struggled in the early going

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yes he should be a 1st rounder even though Thomson gets all the PP time which doesn't help Korczaks numbers. Every situation minute eater who can shutdown the other teams top talent. He'll likely go late 1st/early 2nd similar to Alexeyev, Woo and McIsaac

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
For you all WHL guys who watch Kelowna I was wondering, how is Korczak's partner (today) Devin Steffler? I know he's not a draft prospect or anything of that sort but he's Austrian and he might be considered for the U20 NT down the road. How is he holding up against WHL competition?

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Korczak will be a great first round selection. He skates well, see's the ice very well ,and plays with a toughness that is lacking with most D prospects. The most important aspect of his game is that he can anticipate the play and position himself accordingly. Lots to like about him and could see him rising up the draft board.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Has had a great year for Kelowna and will be a steal for some lucky team. Has plenty of untapped offensive potential that he shows off whenever Thomson is out of the lineup. Is already a great shutdown dman but if his offensive game keeps growing he could be a impact player in the nhl. Think he'll at least be a Josh Manson type but potential for more offense

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Deserves to go in the first round but probably ends up in the 2nd or even 3rd. Going to be a steal for some team.
Most mocks have him going in the 2nd round. Don't see him falling to round 3. He seems to project to a solid 2nd pairing Defensive guy. I've sen reports from scouting services that don't expect much offence from him at the next level.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Deserves to go in the first round but probably ends up in the 2nd or even 3rd. Going to be a steal for some team.

Agreed.

To me he should be in the 20-25 range and his size/skating/IQ/solid first pass are a pretty sure bet to play at higher levels. Josh Manson was mentioned and isn’t a bad comparable.

Is more skilled than his production which is limited by his lack of PP time. Is actually a top-20 ES scorer amongst WHL defenders this year. Will not be a point producer or PP guy in pro but has more than enough skill for his game to translate well as a defensive guy.

I’m surprised that so many sources have Lassi Thomson ahead of Korczak. Thomson is better at one thing - he has a howitzer of a shot that plays well on the PP. Korczak is better at everything else and a substantially better pro prospect.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Korczak isn’t a better skater than Thomson. Can’t pass as well as him, and doesn’t transition as well, either.

Substantially better in his own end, more physical, more intelligent, more of a gamer in tight contests.

But “better in every category” is the kind of hyperbole that really lowers the overall level of discussion around here. No need for disinformation. Ultimately I expect them to go within 5 or so picks of each other.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Korczak isn’t a better skater than Thomson. Can’t pass as well as him, and doesn’t transition as well, either.

Substantially better in his own end, more physical, more intelligent, more of a gamer in tight contests.

But “better in every category” is the kind of hyperbole that really lowers the overall level of discussion around here. No need for disinformation. Ultimately I expect them to go within 5 or so picks of each other.

Disagree that Thomson is a better outlet passer/transition player. There’s a reason Korczak is top-10 in the WHL in ES assists with nearly double the total Thomson has. Korczak isn’t flashy but he’s quick and accurate tape-to-tape and his ability to move the puck is IMO very underrated.

Thomson is probably a more agile forward skater and puck rusher but Korczak’s backward skating and footwork - which are far more important - are excellent.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah I'd say Korczak is just as good as Thomson if not better at moving the puck, skating and transition. Korczak is put in the shutdown role while Thomson is in the OFD role. Both are great prospects but Korczak is the better player+prospect. You can see how his offense jumps whenever Thomson has been out of the lineup so he's clearly capable of it

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah I'd say Korczak is just as good as Thomson if not better at moving the puck, skating and transition. Korczak is put in the shutdown role while Thomson is in the OFD role. Both are great prospects but Korczak is the better player+prospect. You can see how his offense jumps whenever Thomson has been out of the lineup so he's clearly capable of it

What is his foot speed like. Does he rely on his positioning vs his skating more? How is his puck retrieval? I saw some footage from last year and he seemed a little heavy footed.. Has his quickness improved this year? How is he at the opposing blue line? How is he on the boards winning puck battles and making plays in traffic in his own end?

Thanks

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
What is his foot speed like. Does he rely on his positioning vs his skating more? How is his puck retrieval? I saw some footage from last year and he seemed a little heavy footed.. Has his quickness improved this year? How is he at the opposing blue line? How is he on the boards winning puck battles and making plays in traffic in his own end?

Thanks
He's a good skater and it's noticeably improved from the start of the year. He's almost in the correct position but if he isn't his skating can make up for it. Him, Bryam and Robertson are all awesome at getting the puck and getting out of their zone quickly and effectively. Like Byram he likes to let forecheckers on him and will take a hit to free up space for his partner. He's not as aggressive as Byram pinching in but makes good reads when to pinch and when to back off. He's a monster in front of his net and along the boards rarely if ever losing a battle. Has an old school mentality with a new age skill set. When he's under pressure he won't try the flashy move that catches people's attention but will make the safe and effective play time and again. He's the perfect shutdown role Dman who can contribute offensively if needed and could babysit a OFD rover like a Hughes. Whenever Thomson is out of the lineup he plays a more offensive role and is PPG in those games so there's an untapped ceiling that good scouts should see.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's a good skater and it's noticeably improved from the start of the year. He's almost in the correct position but if he isn't his skating can make up for it. Him, Bryam and Robertson are all awesome at getting the puck and getting out of their zone quickly and effectively. Like Byram he likes to let forecheckers on him and will take a hit to free up space for his partner. He's not as aggressive as Byram pinching in but makes good reads when to pinch and when to back off. He's a monster in front of his net and along the boards rarely if ever losing a battle. Has an old school mentality with a new age skill set. When he's under pressure he won't try the flashy move that catches people's attention but will make the safe and effective play time and again. He's the perfect shutdown role Dman who can contribute offensively if needed and could babysit a OFD rover like a Hughes. Whenever Thomson is out of the lineup he plays a more offensive role and is PPG in those games so there's an untapped ceiling that good scouts should see.

Right on thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad