D Josh Manson (2011, 160th, ANA)

idiroft

Sep 21, 2012
Lisboa
Josh Manson is the biggest surprise in the Ducks's line-up this season. After Beauchemin and Lovejoy went down with an injury/illness, he was recalled from the minors and hasn't looked out of place at all. This is his first season as a pro (excluding a few games in the AHL at the end of last season).

He looks capable of becoming a bruising top4 D for many years to come and be a great compliment to Lindholm´s or Fowler's game. Great value for a 6th rounder!

Steven

May 10, 2009
Had never heard of this kid before the Flames/Ducks game the other night. I kept noticing him on the ice and wondering where he came from. Was really impressed by his game.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I follow the ducks prospects very closely for about the last 15 years and I have never been truly "surprised" by any of our young players. Guys drafted a little later like Matt beleskey, Sami Vatenen, Nick Bonino ect - you could see that they were progressing well and going to surprise people when they got a chance at the NHL level. However, with Manson his development has been so steep so so unexpectedly quick that I did not imagine he would be as effective at the NHL level as he has been. I am very pleasantly surprised and think he has is displaying a wonderful combination of skill, size, skating, confidence and hockey IQ. I am excited about him and think he could unexpectedly be a future top 4 D-Man.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
As a Flames fan I definitely noticed him multiple times on Tuesday, was pretty impressed.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It's really neat how in a deep prospect pool like our's, there still tend to be hidden gems. And well hidden he seemed to be. Credit to our scouts again, we've heard from the organisation that they were very high on Manson for little while, when the reasons weren't as obvious as they now appear. He has been really good. Skill, size, grit, skating and all with a fine hockey IQ - so much to like with the kid.

Jul 22, 2012
If there was a knock on our organization it would be its ability to develop players like Josh. Great to finally see a player like him come out of our system.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wow--glad to see other fanbases saw the same thing I saw when he was playing the Kings. I thought he was, subtly, the best d-man on the ice for either team that first game. Thought I was crazy :laugh:

He just saw the ice and everything around him so well and every pass was tape to tape. I'm a d-man myself so I'm always looking for those little things and even in his coverage and board work he wasn't just good--he was flawless.

It's really neat how in a deep prospect pool like our's, there still tend to be hidden gems. And well hidden he seemed to be. Credit to our scouts again, we've heard from the organisation that they were very high on Manson for little while, when the reasons weren't as obvious as they now appear. He has been really good. Skill, size, grit, skating and all with a fine hockey IQ - so much to like with the kid.

That's what makes prospects so fun. The lottery ticket effect. Great work by the staff.

If there was a knock on our organization it would be its ability to develop players like Josh. Great to finally see a player like him come out of our system.

What do you mean? Late picks?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Gotcha. I was perfectly fine with you guys not having those. :sarcasm:

Hah, yeah, I bet. That description might be a bit unfair to Manson, though, because he is undeniably talented. It's just the way he plays is exactly what, I think, we need. He still shows his inexperience at times, but he's an impressive kid.

Lindholm is bigger and stronger this season, too. He could really be something, and is already matching up against top competition. If he hasn't already surpassed Fowler(Cam still has a level in his game that Lindholm hasn't shown he can match just yet, but he isn't consistently at it and has a tendency to play tentatively) yet, it doesn't look like it will be much longer.

I like seeing Anaheim get bigger on the blue line, but I especially like that Manson and Lindholm can bring size -and- mobility. We don't need a big pylon back there. We need players with size who can skate, and who can move the puck.

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA
I think he played his best game tonight against Calgary. He has a serious shot to stay up with the big club for the rest of the season.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I had big expectations for him based on the way Bob and Bruce and Madden talked about him in the past. They were reinforced by the rookie camp, and now they are being blown away. I'm waiting for him to come down to Earth, but he is getting much better as the games go on. It's kind of scary to say, he reminds me of how Lindholm was last year.....

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I had big expectations for him based on the way Bob and Bruce and Madden talked about him in the past. They were reinforced by the rookie camp, and now they are being blown away. I'm waiting for him to come down to Earth, but he is getting much better as the games go on. It's kind of scary to say, he reminds me of how Lindholm was last year.....

But he`s older (23 already)

in any case, it`s very hard not to like this guy!

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
But he`s older (23 already)

in any case, it`s very hard not to like this guy!

Not their age, just the way Lindholm started last year and got better and better through the first half of the season until they couldn't send him down.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Not their age, just the way Lindholm started last year and got better and better through the first half of the season until they couldn't send him down.

Yeah, what i meant was that Manson probably doesn`t have as big potential as Lindholm due to the fact he`s older (but who knows since he`s only a few years separated of playing a forward).

He does look like a guy that will be a top 4 capable player though.

idiroft

Sep 21, 2012
Lisboa
Yeah, what i meant was that Manson probably doesn`t have as big potential as Lindholm due to the fact he`s older (but who knows since he`s only a few years separated of playing a forward).

He does look like a guy that will be a top 4 capable player though.

Defensemen don't hit the plateau at 23. There is plenty of room to grow.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Really impressed by this kid. You can see the hockey genes running in his blood. Big physical dman with a mean streak and a huge reach. And not only that but compare those to a remarkable foot speed in his first few steps make it extremely difficult to get around him. Great pick in the 6th round for sure! Even would have been a good 2nd rounder in 2011.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad