D Jonas Siegenthaler - ZSC, NLA (2015, 57th, WSH)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wanted to make Jonas Siegenthaler a thread because he has looked very impressive thus far in the WJC. Been cycling back forth between GC Küsnacht in the NLB and Zürich in the NLA (almost point per game player against men in the NLB). But he is a two-way defenseman that plays a very calm defensive game with good puck skills (both for pokechecking and passing). Additionally to this, he can level people when he wants and bring some offense from a decent shot. Lastly, he reads the game at a very high level, reminds me a lot of his teammate Mirco Mueller in ability to read the play. I was thinking he was going to go somewhere around 4th to 6th for this draft, but if he plays this good consistently, I could see him become a legitimate top 90 player.

Your guys' thoughts on him?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
He looked really good this game. Still have him pegged as a top 120 pick, and I can't see him falling past the early-mid 5th round.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
He looked really strong thus far in the WJC but that's not a surprise, he gets a lot of ice time this year with the Z and he always amazes me. Could be one of our next big D-man..

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
He looked really strong thus far in the WJC but that's not a surprise, he gets a lot of ice time this year with the Z and he always amazes me. Could be one of our next big D-man..

This. In the game against Russia yesterday I thought he played as well as Mueller. I was very impressed with him.

Strong positioning, good outlet passing, strong on the puck, good skater, got physical but not in a way that would get him in trouble.

I was very impressed

dsg89

Mar 24, 2009
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Jonas-Siegenthaler

Scouting Report: A solid defender with good size and strength. Is able to shut down opponent players. Uses his stick very well to interrupt plays and is excellent in preventing forwards from scoring on rebounds. Reads and understands the game well. His Size and strength allows him to get involved physical though could use his body more often to make plays. Needs to improve his offensive play and rarely gets involved in the opponent teams zone. First few steps need to be better but isn’t a bad skater, not very explosive though. Needs to gain strength in his shot and could work on his first pass which is always a secure one but rarely an opening pass. His pass is very strong though and receives passes well too. Very good at one vs one situations and stays calm and focused without panicking. Overall a very solid and matured defender with great defensive skills.

NHL Potential: Stay at home defender. Plays solid defensive game but needs to imrpove his offence.
Profile from: Dennis Schellenberg - updated Dec. 6th of Scouting-Factory.Blogspot.ch

Could be a 3rd rounder....like his matured play!

mynameistickle

Sep 9, 2009
Richmond, VA
Won player of the game honors in today's WJC game versus CZE, which Switzerland won 4-3 in OT on a nice goal by Nico Hischier. Jonas played a team high 26:36 TOI over 44 shifts. I know he's projected as a defense first defenseman but that's an awful lot of ice time and he was manning the point on the top PP unit. Does he have more unlocked offensively ability than I've been made to believe?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Won player of the game honors in today's WJC game versus CZE, which Switzerland won 4-3 in OT on a nice goal by Nico Hischier. Jonas played a team high 26:36 TOI over 44 shifts. I know he's projected as a defense first defenseman but that's an awful lot of ice time and he was manning the point on the top PP unit. Does he have more unlocked offensively ability than I've been made to believe?

Well, he's a great skater and a solid puck mover. But that's about it. He's a big shutdown defenseman. I can see him logging big minutes in the NHL but he's not likely to be a key part of the Cap's PP anytime soon.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Doesn't look like his shot has improved much, if at all, since he was drafted. Pretty disappointing, especially for a big guy like him. If he had a big shot from the point he could be a really good all-around defenseman in the NHL. Without it, he is pretty meh. Not sure he becomes more than a #4/5 guy.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Is he kind of in the mold of a Carl Gunnerson type defenseman? There's no Streit or Josi offensive upside to his game?

He's just like Josi minus the shot and minus the offensive instincts :laugh:
As I said, he's really fast and his mobility is great for a guy that's 6'2. His passing is also great but until now, he's not engaging all that much in the offensive zone. He probably could skillwise but his mind doesn't seem to be ready for that.

The statement above is pretty harsh but his shot truely isn't great. Maybe he'll be able to develop some offense but I think he'll be more of a solid 2nd pairing guy.

mynameistickle

Sep 9, 2009
Richmond, VA
I loved watching him skate today, and he seems smart/toolsy. Its a shame he's never developed a shot at all to this point in his career. I wanna believe in him, NLA numbers are hard to predict NHL success but he does show little offense...

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Skates really well and can think the game. Needs more work on the physical side of the game and his offensive tools need sharpening, but I think Caps fans should be very happy with his progress.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Skates really well and can think the game. Needs more work on the physical side of the game and his offensive tools need sharpening, but I think Caps fans should be very happy with his progress.

Good summary.
This tournament should allow us to get a good look at him. In Switzerland, when playing for ZSC, he may be able to hide but he can't do it here. For a lack of competition he's the clear Nr.1 on defense and the Coaches will continue to lean on him pretty heavily. He played a phantastic first game. Let's see if he can keep it up against better teams and despite a tight schedule. But so far so good.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, that's pretty ironic that he scored one from the blueline after what we wrote.
But okay. Not sure he even wanted to score. Probably wasn't his hardest shot...and the swedish goalie should have saved it. If you watch the highlight and pay attention to the behind the goal view, you'll see that the goalie had free sight and that the placement wasn't all that good. Pretty weak one to let in.

That said, it still was another good game by Siegenthaler and his mate Karrer. After playing over 26 minutes on Tuesday he again played over 25 minutes yesterday.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
Play 22 minutes tonight, nobody talk about him how does he look so far and do you think he could become a top 4 def soon ???

Reactions: Casanova

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
last 2 games 18 minutes 5 block shots ... So is he that bad? cause i can't see Caps games ...Stats look good tho...

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
He was in over his head playing on the first defense pairing. However, with Kempny back in the line up, he is playing where he belongs (6th-7th on the depth chart).

I think hes playing ok in his current role. I really wish he moved the puck better. He's in danger of slipping down the depth chart as the Capitals are deep in regards to LD prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad