D Johannes Kinnvall - HV71, SHL (Undrafted)

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Off to a hot start in the SHL so far with 3+4 in 5 games. Strangely, almost no video of this player online.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Off to a hot start in the SHL so far with 3+4 in 5 games. Strangely, almost no video of this player online.

It's weird he has so little talk, just from a numbers standpoint he he very good production.

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
Any Swedes out there have a first hand scouting report on this guy? His numbers look pretty good, but that's all I know of him.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Kinnvall's numbers in the SHL are absolutely insane.

He has the second highest REL Corsi in the league (+14.68) and is BY FAR the best producing D-man in the league at 5v5 (1.65 G/60 + 1.65 A/60 = 3.30 P/60). 2nd place is at 2.40 P/60 and there's only 4 D-men total above 2.00 P/60

A little hyped.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
A few clips here. Nothing very interesting though. I believe he's #28.

Two goals in this clip, both before the 1:30 mark.

Three assists in this clip.

Goal and two assists from back in January.

Reactions: Reinhart

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
So his numbers are amazing in the SHL, now he’s signed for Calgary what are his chances of making the league/coming close to replicating his SHL numbers?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
So his numbers are amazing in the SHL, now he’s signed for Calgary what are his chances of making the league/coming close to replicating his SHL numbers?

He’s what, 9th or 10th on their pre-season depth chart (Tanev, Hanifin, Andersson, Zadorov, Gudbranson, Valimaki, Stone, Mackey…maybe even Kylington) ? Sutter’s hard-on for “tough guys” and last minute signings of Gudbranson and Stone certainly didn’t help Kinnvall’s chances of being an NHL player any time soon. I expect Sutter to rely on his rough and tumble vets like a warm sweater on a cold winters day while more talented defenders ride the pine or play in the AHL. If Kinnvall does impress and make the squad I imagine it will be at the expense of somebody like Valimaki.

Last edited:

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
He’s what, 9th or 10th on their pre-season depth chart (Tanev, Hanifin, Andersson, Zadorov, Gudbranson, Valimaki, Stone, Mackey…maybe even Kylington) ? Sutter’s hard-on for “tough guys” and last minute signings of Gudbranson and Stone certainly didn’t help Kinnvall’s chances of being an NHL player any time soon. I expect Sutter to rely on his rough and tumble vets like a warm sweater on a cold winters day while more talented defenders ride the pine or play in the AHL. If Kinnvall does impress and make the squad I imagine it will be at the expense of somebody like Valimaki.

Thanks for the indepth reply, I appreciate that. It's a shame the coach's mentality will mean we don't get to see him: Calgary have the potential for a fun, offensive and talented blue line if they let themselves.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Thanks for the indepth reply, I appreciate that. It's a shame the coach's mentality will mean we don't get to see him: Calgary have the potential for a fun, offensive and talented blue line if they let themselves.

I’m not saying he doesn’t have a chance - just knowing Sutter and seeing the depth chart makes me think Kinnvall is going to really have to impress at training camp to make it. Tanev, Hanifin and Andersson are the Big 3. Zadorov plays the Sutter way and is still somewhat young so I’d say they’ll try to max out any upside he has left. That’s four. They didn’t pay Gudbranson $2 million to ride the bench. That’s five. Stone is a lock to be the #7 type guy IMO.

So that leaves Valimaki, Mackey, Kylington and Kinnvall fighting for one regular spot. I’d say Valimaki’s pedigree is going to get him the longest look. And I think Mackey’s experience in the organization gives him a head start over Kinnvall. Kylington isn’t good but is still there as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad