D Jacob Ragnarsson - Almtuna, SWE (2018, 70th, NYR)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think this guy is flying way under the radar. Son of former longtime Sharks defender Marcus Ragnarsson (actually born in California according to EP). Playing in Allsvenskan for Almtuna, he is the third highest scoring U18 player - and he's a defender. Timra standouts Hallander and Olofsson have 13 and 10 points respectively. Ragnarsson has 12 in 27 games from the blueline along with a +10 and everything I've read indicates he's got pretty sharp mental game besides the offensive tools which would be no surprise given his father. He's also cousin of Gustav Lindstrom, who is his teammate and was drafted in the 2nd round last year by Detroit and is competing for the Swedish WJC team.

Any of our Swedish experts have anything to add? Zero talk about him.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I've only seen 1 game of him but I was very impressed. I expected to see a stay at home D but he was actually very involved offensively, often acting as a 4th forward. Will keep an eye on him for sure.

GC

Jun 13, 2015
I have seen him for many years and I really like his game. He is a smart player, nothing fancy but a solid D-man.
If I was a NHL scout I would be following him, for sure. He can become as good player as his father was.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I LOVE his game, in a previous thread asking about draft steals, I listed him as mine.

He's a smooth skater, isn't a train wreck in his own zone, smooth pivots, needs to put on some weight and get more physical in front.

His first pass is good and he shows sneaky offensive upside.

Hockey IQ off the charts.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Seems like had a poor finish to the season with 1 point and -12 in the last 20 games but it’s still a very impressive stat line for a 1st time eligible player

Could be a great late round pick up

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Seems like had a poor finish to the season with 1 point and -12 in the last 20 games but it’s still a very impressive stat line for a 1st time eligible player

Could be a great late round pick up

Young players in their first pro season often hit a rookie wall at some point.

Definitely an underrated player from this draft, and it was good that my team could draft him. I think he has a good chance to be an NHL'er.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He struggled last season, but he’s been on loan at Timra this season in the Allsvenskan and has 7 points in 18 games.

Almtuna was a dumpster fire last year and Ragnarsson was one of the youngest kids on that team. This year with Timrå he is on a team with a much better structure and it shows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad