D Jack Dougherty - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2014, 51st, NSH)

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
action_sta_jack_dougherty.jpg

Birthyear: 1996-05-25
Birthplace: Cottage Grove, MN
Position: D
Shoots: R
Height: 188 cm / 6'2"
Weight: 84 kg / 185 lbs

"Dougherty is an intelligent defenseman who tries to blend strong positioning while trying to inflict a physical dimension on his opponent. He isn't the fleetest of foot, but does get where he needs to go. He also makes a strong first pass and has solid offensive instincts." - FC

"Dougherty has made great strides the past couple of seasons — steadily progressing from a defensive defenseman to a confident puck handler and someone with a great ability to read the play. Has the size and skating ability that attracts scouts and has not let his offensive play diminish his defensive game." - HF

Last edited:

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
How does he compare to a 17 year old Trouba?

Not as nasty physically.

I really like this kid, I'm not sure if I agree with the scouting reports listed above though. I've never really thought of him as a defensive defenseman, he has no problem making an impact offensively and I'd consider him a very good skater.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Excerpt from E-Mac's profile:

From the War Room

Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Jack Dougherty:

Mr. Effective – Not the biggest guy in the world, not the best skater in the world, doesn’t have the best skills in the world, Mr. Effective just “gets her done” through hard work and effective use of the tools he has.
Offense – Has the point shot and has an effective outlet pass, even in tough situations. Just “gets her done”. Jack has shown considerable improvement in this area of his game over the past year to the point where is no longer considered just a defensive defenseman.
Defense – Add a bit of a mean streak to sound positioning, the ability to know what to do in a situation, the willingness to be a little physical and you have yourself an effective defenseman, one who “gets her done” in all situations, 5 on 5, PK, PP.
Improvements to make..."

Full article - available here

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
"A versatile defender, capable of playing in all situations, Dougherty possesses good offensive instincts. With great vision, he makes a good first pass but is also working on improving his point shot to compliment his strong wrister. Attending the University of Wisconsin in the fall, the talented defender also hopes to transition into the role of the power play QB.

A solid skater with good mobility, he gets to where he needs to be on the ice. Dougherty is an intelligent defender, but also has a bit of a physical side to his game.

Versatility and ability in each responsibility are key for this young defender. Still a developing prospect, but the upside is there."

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
If McKeown were to drop to Calgary's 2nd, would you rather Dougherty or him?

Dougherty

So smart, big hitter and can play shutdown role. Great at blocking passes and shots. He's a great passer as well and just makes little plays where he'll hang on to it for half a second to draw the defender then make the pass. Knows when to jump into the rush. He's a lot like Niklas Krnowall

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
I think "2nd rounders" Dougherty, Petersson and Sanheim all got late in the first round, due to the lack of higher end defensemen. I hope Calgary can get one of these 3 with the 34th pick, but I doubt it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If McKeown were to drop to Calgary's 2nd, would you rather Dougherty or him?

That's a tough one. McKeown is a really nice prospect to, and one of the best skating dman in this draft. He uses his stick to break up plays and is very smart with good offensive instincts. JD, isn't quite the same skater, but is more physical and willing to throw the body more. I may lean more towards Dougherty for his physicality, but McKeown is such an awesome skater. I think their size is both pretty comparable. Really I'd be happy with either.

That would make a good poll.

Last edited:

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Why do you not like comparisons? No one is asking will he become like this player, just who do they play like.

I'm not sure of his reason, but for a lot of people it's just because it's hard to pinpoint somebody in most cases as really everybody plays differently and it can give some false readings into how a player plays. Some people tend to take these comparisons quite literally.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'm not sure of his reason, but for a lot of people it's just because it's hard to pinpoint somebody in most cases as really everybody plays differently and it can give some false readings into how a player plays. Some people tend to take these comparisons quite literally.

It helps people like me, who has only seen a few clips of Dougherty.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
His skill package *looks* good but there is something a little missing with him IMO. Hockey sense. His mobility is fairly good for his size but his straightaway speed is not great, he can get beat wide and to pucks if a forward gets a step on him. Tries to do too much at times right now and his passes aren't zipped on to the tape, he tries to feather plays through and they're soft sometimes, not zipped up to the forwards. His size and general package is appealing of course. Will give him the benefit of the doubt a bit because he came into the program a year later than everyone but he has to simplify his game big-time - you can tell he came from high school hockey and needs to get rid of a lot of those habits still.

Dougherty is trying to do too much still. He has to focus on making the simple play, in puck moving AND defending, and making the simple play right away and every time. Consistency. There is upside here but there is a lot of development that needs to be done, not completely convinced he has a mind for the game as the pace continues to pick up but he will have time in college to develop. Realizing and embracing his identity as a pro will be crucial going forward.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Dougherty also has the ability – and likes – to step up for the big hit. Although it’s not a glaring hole, Dougherty’s skating isn’t brilliant and that mobility issue may scare teams away come June. His creativity with the puck is another downside and a main reason he only managed five goals and 17 points in 51 games this past year.

We touch on Dougherty a bit more here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fcs-draft-countdown-25-21/

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
so very impressed with his play this year. absolutely having a great first season in Portland, seemingly does it all very well and should have been at worst at camp for the US at the WJC.

I think Nashville has a very solid young dman on the way sooner than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad