D Ilari Melart, HIFK (SM-liiga) - Undrafted late bloomer

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Ilari Melart - Eliteprospects.com

1259405083.jpg

Melart, -89 born undrafted defenseman has emerged from a goon into a national team player. He's got a big frame (6'3'' and 227 lbs), and isn't afraid to drop the gloves or dish some big hits. On the other hand, he's also an underrated puck-mover.

In my opinion, Melart's style of play would fit North American game perfectly. Would there possibly be teams interested in at least trying him out?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Ilari Melart - Eliteprospects.com

1259405083.jpg

Melart, -89 born undrafted defenseman has emerged from a goon into a national team player. He's got a big frame (6'3'' and 227 lbs), and isn't afraid to drop the gloves or dish some big hits. On the other hand, he's also an underrated puck-mover.

In my opinion, Melart's style of play would fit North American game perfectly. Would there possibly be teams interested in at least trying him out?

He was underrated puck mover because he was thought as goon by pretty much everyone but doesen't have enough of hockeyIQ and his brains isn't fast enough to do good decisions all the time in the small rink. He has been extremely mistake-prone when there have been huge pressure on him. Offensively he isn't clever at all and lacks vision. His game is suited in european game. With higher hockeyIQ and much faster decision making he could make it but now i see his chances very slim. Jani Hakanpää who has much better tools and is bigger has slight to average chance to be NHL-player. He is also 3years younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad