D Ian Mitchell - Univ. of Denver, NCAA (2017, 57th, CHI)

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I searched and couldn't find a thread.

One of two players on the '16 Hlinka roster who isn't from the CHL.

He played last season for the Spruce Grove Saints of the AJHL and is committed to Denver re NCAA; WHL-wise, I think Brandon holds his rights. Elite Prospects didn't show him on the roster for Spruce Grove next season (and it shows him playing in Denver starting in the 18/19 season).

Can those who have seen him comment on his play, projection, etc...and also clarify his playing status, team-wise?

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I searched and couldn't find a thread.

One of two players on the '16 Hlinka roster who isn't from the CHL.

He played last season for the Spruce Grove Saints of the AJHL and is committed to Denver re NCAA; WHL-wise, I think Brandon holds his rights. Elite Prospects didn't show him on the roster for Spruce Grove next season (and it shows him playing in Denver starting in the 18/19 season).

Can those who have seen him comment on his play, projection, etc...and also clarify his playing status, team-wise?

He's listed on the spruce grove roster for the AJHL page. Would take a loose guess and say he's committed to the college route.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
After Mitchell's standout Hlinka performance, I wanted to bring this back up. Does he rank among the top Canadian defenders for this draft? One might think his non-WHL status may hurt him but the BCHL in particular has been pumping out first rounders with ease...3 just last year in Jost, Fabbro and Cholowksi.

I realize now that Spruce Grove is in the AJHL...which doesn't seem quite as highly regarded as the BCHL. When was the last AJHL first rounder and can Mitchell compete for that kind of draft ranking in a lesser-exposed league? My gut says yes based on his play among peers nationally/internationally but what do you think?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Was he really a standout in the Hlinka? Maybe I caught him during the wrong games but to me he didn't look very good at all.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Brandon do hold his WHL rights. He had a good interview on the pipeline show this summer.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Haven't seen him play live, but he's scoring at a slightly higher clip in his rookie year in the NCAA than he did in his last year in the AJHL. No goals yet though.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
Haven't seen him play live, but he's scoring at a slightly higher clip in his rookie year in the NCAA than he did in his last year in the AJHL. No goals yet though.

I think a big part of that is that he is taking over Will Butcher's vacancy at Denver, which is impressive for a freshmen. His point totals are probably a bit inflated playing minutes with Borgstrom, Terry and Gambrell on the NCAA's top team, but the fact he's been able to produce at the current rate bodes well for his future as an NHLer. He could even be a darkhorse to make Team Canada's WJC team, although I haven't heard anyone mention his name as an invite. I guess we'll see in the next few days.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Underrated prospect for sure...can't see him being on contention for TC this season but would be a guy to look for on the 2019 TC radar IMO.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Four point night last night in a 5-0 win over UNO. Now has 19 points in 23 games for Denver.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
really like his game, he has done such a great job this year -I actually think he jumps pro after the year ends. without Troy Terry, Gambrell, and Hillman there next year, I think Mitchell sees a rebuild coming and simply turns pro, they are losing a ton of talent after the year.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Fantastic play to lead to Denver’s second goal tonight. He’s got some really good offensive instincts, and his skating lets him take chances and still get back to defend. Very exciting player to watch live.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

His awesome play from last night. Also added another assist, but that wasn't highlight worthy like the above clip is.

Reactions: Teemu

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I haven't watched a full game of Mitchell's yet, just highlights or a period here or there, but he always looks so dynamic, an edge-of-the-seat player.

His production the last year and a half should see him secure a spot on the WJC team, and I look forward to seeing more of him then.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Oh this looks like a good pick. Hawks has started a nice rebuild on the back. 2 excellent picks in the 2017 draft

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad