D Frederic Allard - Chicoutimi Sagueneens, QMJHL (2016, 78th, NSH)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Searched for his thread but was surprised when I didn't find one. Have always been impressed when I've watched him play. Has decent size(6'1 179) and has put up great numbers this year so far with 14G+45A in 63 games. Is known as more of an offensive defenceman but his defensive game isn't a major weakness and has improved as the year has progressed. Isn't afraid to be physical either and is someone I expect to be taken somewhere in the 2nd round this year.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=213473

incognito Burrito*

Definitely has good stats.

Would be interesting to hear more about him.

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
A late 97 who is good size and putting up points? Whoever picks him will consider him a steal, especially if it is outside the 1st round

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Bump. Why no talk at all? >6'1, 59pts in 64gms as a D.

Elite Prospects Run-Down:

"A tenacious two-way defenceman that has a distinct willingness to do whatever it takes to keep his team up. Battles hard for puck possession and has a very good active stick. Not consistent enough to be relied upon in all situations, especially under high pressure, but is definitely getting there and his game is rounding out well at an accelerated pace. Possesses a hard, accurate shot and is creative with his passes. As such, his primary function as an offensive defenceman is to be played on the forecheck and in situations where pressure is sustained. All-in-all, a hard-nosed two-way defenceman that has the raw tools and the upward-trending tendencies that point to a positive development path. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)

"Strong two-way play. Great offensive instincts and abilities. Not all that flashy, but when he's on his game he is able to become a difference-making force from the back end. Think Justin Schultz but with a little bit more aggressiveness." [EP] - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=213473#sthash.ZKmTZVNc.dpuf"

So why no talk at all?

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I think he is the best Q d-man in the draft....don't get the no love either. Would easily take him early 2nd, ahead of Green and Girard.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think he is the best Q d-man in the draft....don't get the no love either. Would easily take him early 2nd, ahead of Green and Girard.

I think it's between he and Green. Girard had the best season, by far, but doesn't translate as well to the pro ranks.

I think Allard will end up around 45-50, and Green around 50-60. Girard will go in the 1st, but I don't think I'd be happy with that pick.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I think it's between he and Green. Girard had the best season, by far, but doesn't translate as well to the pro ranks.

I think Allard will end up around 45-50, and Green around 50-60. Girard will go in the 1st, but I don't think I'd be happy with that pick.

Agreed. Girard has the best offensive skills of them all, but they aren't so much better then Allard that makes up the sizable gap in, well - size, and defensive play.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

With the lack of quality RHD in this draft I expect both Green+Allard to go early to mid 2nd.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
I'd love to draft him late 2nd or early 3rd if we could. Might be more top end talent available in the 2nd but if D is a need I would definitely go for that.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Bump. Why no talk at all? >6'1, 59pts in 64gms as a D.

Elite Prospects Run-Down:

"A tenacious two-way defenceman that has a distinct willingness to do whatever it takes to keep his team up. Battles hard for puck possession and has a very good active stick. Not consistent enough to be relied upon in all situations, especially under high pressure, but is definitely getting there and his game is rounding out well at an accelerated pace. Possesses a hard, accurate shot and is creative with his passes. As such, his primary function as an offensive defenceman is to be played on the forecheck and in situations where pressure is sustained. All-in-all, a hard-nosed two-way defenceman that has the raw tools and the upward-trending tendencies that point to a positive development path. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)

"Strong two-way play. Great offensive instincts and abilities. Not all that flashy, but when he's on his game he is able to become a difference-making force from the back end. Think Justin Schultz but with a little bit more aggressiveness." [EP] - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=213473#sthash.ZKmTZVNc.dpuf"

So why no talk at all?

We have him ranked as a high 2nd rounder. Didn't have the best series against Cape Breton but he's one of the best RHD available. His slapper is his bread and butter. And I don't agree with the Schultz comparisons. Allard is far more responsible/reliable and not as graceful a skater

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Why is he ranked so low in the 2nd despite having amazing stats? What's the knock on his game?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Central scouting has him ranked 32nd for NA skaters and he's 31st overall on my list for what it's worth. The main knock is he's known as more of an OFD who isn't overly strong but his low ranking has more to do with he's a defenceman from the Q imo. I really hope and think the Avs will target him at 40 if he's still left.

I think he's slightly better than Girard and will transfer better to the NHL.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Central scouting has him ranked 32nd for NA skaters and he's 31st overall on my list for what it's worth. The main knock is he's known as more of an OFD who isn't overly strong but his low ranking has more to do with he's a defenceman from the Q imo. I really hope and think the Avs will target him at 40 if he's still left.

I think he's slightly better than Girard and will transfer better to the NHL.

I think his play style in the Q is alot more of a allround defensmen kinda like Vlasic in 2006. I wouldn't call him an offensive D.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Oh I know I was just saying the perception is he's an OFD when he's more of a TWD. I wouldn't put him on Vlasic level though.

No, but Vlasic wasn't super hyped in 2005, he was kinda a surprise early 2nd rounder. He develelopped really well after. Allard probably won't became the next Vlasic, but in the Q they are similar. imho

But agree with you, because of his high pts total and the Q, people who haven't seen him probably think of an offensive D.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
This guy's 4-way mobility is nowhere near Vlasic's. He is very, very good in a straight line with excellent acceleration, it is good for gaining separation using the back of the net and also joining the rush. He has a good battle level down low as well, but I find his multi-directional skating to actually be a bit sloppy and inefficient, with and without the puck. His transition passing in the neutral zone when he is forced to move his feet and think can be imprecise and elite players in the league can lose him laterally down low. He is going to have to clean this up to be efficient at the next level.

Also, 36 of his 59 points (11G, 25A) came on Yanick Jean's perennially excellent powerplay, which is in a spread format which the large majority of pro teams do not use (they use a 1-3-1). From what I've seen Chicoutimi has their defensemen play quite conservatively in the offensive zone, they do not use a heavy pinch which a lot of NHL teams are using and their defensemen rarely venture deep into the zone to create confusion. The reason I am saying this is because with his defensive details and puck moving in transition, I think there is going to be an adjustment period for Allard at pro as well as with the stylistic changes to pro. Not all bad though, I think he is an excellent skater forwards, I like his compete level and he is sure able to get his shot on net to the tune of almost 4 shots per game. I think I like Clague and Girard more right now.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This guy's 4-way mobility is nowhere near Vlasic's. He is very, very good in a straight line with excellent acceleration, it is good for gaining separation using the back of the net and also joining the rush. He has a good battle level down low as well, but I find his multi-directional skating to actually be a bit sloppy and inefficient, with and without the puck. His transition passing in the neutral zone when he is forced to move his feet and think can be imprecise and elite players in the league can lose him laterally down low. He is going to have to clean this up to be efficient at the next level.

Also, 36 of his 59 points (11G, 25A) came on Yanick Jean's perennially excellent powerplay, which is in a spread format which the large majority of pro teams do not use (they use a 1-3-1). From what I've seen Chicoutimi has their defensemen play quite conservatively in the offensive zone, they do not use a heavy pinch which a lot of NHL teams are using and their defensemen rarely venture deep into the zone to create confusion. The reason I am saying this is because with his defensive details and puck moving in transition, I think there is going to be an adjustment period for Allard at pro as well as with the stylistic changes to pro. Not all bad though, I think he is an excellent skater forwards, I like his compete level and he is sure able to get his shot on net to the tune of almost 4 shots per game. I think I like Clague and Girard more right now.

You mean an umbrella? It gets used a lot

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
You mean an umbrella? It gets used a lot

No that's not what I mean, an umbrella is what the Penguins use. Chicoutmis uses a spread - D are dot wide with aot of switching with 2 on the flanks/down low and one man in front.

Winnipeg used it at times, not that many teams use it. I don't want to get into a tactical discussion - back to Allard

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No that's not what I mean, an umbrella is what the Penguins use. Chicoutmis uses a spread - D are dot wide with aot of switching with 2 on the flanks/down low and one man in front.

Winnipeg used it at times, not that many teams use it. I don't want to get into a tactical discussion - back to Allard

I just was/am unsure what you meant by 1-3-1 on a pp. it makes no difference regardless I was just wondering what you meant. Agreed back to Allard.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm a bit confused with a lot of the "two-way defenceman" reports here.

From what i've watched of him (and admittedly, mostly earlier in the season), he looked like an absolute turnstyle defensively. Couldn't handle size or speed in his own zone at all.

I think it's also worth noting that 60%+ of his points came one the PP. That's a pretty substantial factor, if you're expecting an all-around 5v5 puck-moving dynamo.

He's got some nice offensive blueline in skills...but i wasn't impressed with the rest of his game. Maybe i didn't catch enough of him later in the year? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad