D Eric Knodel - U of New Hampshire (2009, 128th overall, Toronto)

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Has anyone seen this kid play? I've read scouting reports on him and i'm very intrigued by his size (6'6", 225 lbs) and increasing offensive ability, but have never seen him play live.

For those who have seen him play for New Hampshire multiple times, can you give a report on him, mainly about how he stacks up to other defensemen in the NCAA and his chances of becoming an NHLer?

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
its a tough call with him, and hes a weird case because there are not a lot of compareables with the red-shirt treatment he got. not to mention UNH isnt a hotbed of hockey prospects, so as much as he has some intriguing tools, id have a hard time believing anyone who said he has strong pro chances.

having said that, i think i might try and give him a chance in the AHL. i could see him not getting signed though. although i do think the red shirt issue gives him another year before he has to be signed? i could be wrong

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Any reason why he was Redshirted? isn't that pretty rare occurrence in hockey?

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Any reason why he was Redshirted? isn't that pretty rare occurrence in hockey?

i think it is quite rare.

im not totally sure, but i recall reading something about the defence being pretty good when he first got there or something. i cant recall specifics tbh.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
As a UNH fan I'd love it if he did I don't think he makes it

He is slooooooow. He is definitely huge but at least when I see him he doesn't really use his size to his advantage that much

Also I have no idea how he scores so many goals. His shot is average at best at least, guess it just finds the back of the net

I'm rooting for him though, too bad he has to be a prospect of one of my least favorite teams haha

And to the OP, at least on UNH, he isn't even their best defenceman. Trevor Van Riemsdyk is an awesome two way defenseman. In my opinion better offensively and defensively

its a tough call with him, and hes a weird case because there are not a lot of compareables with the red-shirt treatment he got. not to mention UNH isnt a hotbed of hockey prospects, so as much as he has some intriguing tools, id have a hard time believing anyone who said he has strong pro chances.

having said that, i think i might try and give him a chance in the AHL. i could see him not getting signed though. although i do think the red shirt issue gives him another year before he has to be signed? i could be wrong

Yeah AHL seems likely. I just don't see how he can keep up with an NHL level pace

Goldie

Nov 30, 2008
read these from yesterdays HF.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...oronto-maple-leafs-spring-top-20/#more-104437
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...-crop-of-drafted-ncaa-defensemen/#more-104441
He will have agood career in the NHL. Bank on it. Don't know where you get your info Kvetch- repeatedly the National NCAA announcers have stated that he has the hardest shot in college hockey. Leads HockeyEast Def in scoring for the year and 2nd in the nation in blocked shots. Unusual combination. Best Defenseman in the NE

Last edited:

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
read these from yesterdays HF.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...oronto-maple-leafs-spring-top-20/#more-104437
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...-crop-of-drafted-ncaa-defensemen/#more-104441
He will have agood career in the NHL. Bank on it. Don't know where you get your info Kvetch- repeatedly the National NCAA announcers have stated that he has the hardest shot in college hockey. Leads HockeyEast Def in scoring for the year and 2nd in the nation in blocked shots. Unusual combination. Best Defenseman in the NE

I've seen him live plenty haha

Maybe he does have the hardest shot, not from what I've seen haha

You can't seriously just judge a player based off his stats. I've seen him play and he just isn't fast enough in my opinion. And I know you don't need to be a fast skater to be a defenseman, but honestly (no offense if he reads this) but his skating sort of reminded me of some gigantic oversized kid in house league. It just looks unnatural, I don't really care what the HF article says haha.

Like I said I am rooting for him. TVR would be outscoring him quite handily if he didn't get injured btw

Watch the guy play, then get back to me

Or just watch that clip. Tell me if those look like "smoother strides and quicker feet". Not to me

Now watch TVR and tell me who looks better

Goldie

Nov 30, 2008
I have watched every UNH game for the last 10 years. MOD I am telling you Eric will be a good NHLer for a while. If you like UNH then why diss this player?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I have watched every UNH game for the last 10 years. MOD. I am telling you Eric will be a good NHLer for a while. If you like UNH then why diss this player?

I'm not dissing the player, just being honest. Do you think Matt Willows has a future as an NHL'er?

He is having a good year, putting up points, just doesn't have NHL upside. Pretty much how I feel about Knodel.

I like him, honestly. I have met him before and he was nice. Just from my assessment I don't think he has NHL upside. Would love for him to prove me wrong honestly. Not to mention Umile tends to make defensemen and goalies look better than they really are

Good luck to the guy honestly

Last edited by a moderator:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I've seen him live plenty haha

Maybe he does have the hardest shot, not from what I've seen haha

You can't seriously just judge a player based off his stats. I've seen him play and he just isn't fast enough in my opinion. And I know you don't need to be a fast skater to be a defenseman, but honestly (no offense if he reads this) but his skating sort of reminded me of some gigantic oversized kid in house league. It just looks unnatural, I don't really care what the HF article says haha.

Like I said I am rooting for him. TVR would be outscoring him quite handily if he didn't get injured btw

Watch the guy play, then get back to me

Or just watch that clip. Tell me if those look like "smoother strides and quicker feet". Not to me

Now watch TVR and tell me who looks better

Well, TVR is basically a lock to be a Leaf prospect so I doubt they care too much haha.

famadihana

Mar 27, 2011
Also a UNH fan.

Knodel isn't anything special. Just a big body. I don't see an NHL future for him.

Wish him the best, though.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
all I can tell you is that "Knödel" means dumpling in German, which gave me a good chuckle.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Well, TVR is basically a lock to be a Leaf prospect so I doubt they care too much haha.

I wouldn't say that. He's likely a fan of a U.S. Team on the East coast, and he's already attended the Flyers training camp so they may have first crack at signing him. Generally college free agents either sign with their childhood team or the one who offers the best chance to play.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I wouldn't say that. He's likely a fan of a U.S. Team on the East coast, and he's already attended the Flyers training camp so they may have first crack at signing him. Generally college free agents either sign with their childhood team or the one who offers the best chance to play.

And that probably is the Flyers... :(

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

not to mention JVR left college after two years for the $$$

wouldn't be surprised if Trevor goes wherever offers him the most money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad