D Dominick Fensore - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 90th, CAR)

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
From Elite Prospects Rinkside:
Domenick Fensore
Was born in Thornwood, New York. Another player from Westchester County. At 5-7, 154, that’s not what every team is looking for on the blueline. However, the teams that decide his play outweighs the size risk will get a heck of a player. The BU commit makes smart passes. Good safe clears and can skate the puck out of the defensive zone, something all defenseman have to do with relative ease to keep moving up the ladder. In 45 games he had six goals and 37 points. He’s the second highest scoring defenseman on the NTDP squad, that should weigh in his favor.

Reactions: neelynugs

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I'm a huge fan of Fensore, and there's a lot to like about his game. His skating is sublime and he's stellar in transition play. Not afraid to show some disrespect in the corners too. BU got a good one here.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I doubt he’ll be drafted. Can’t defend and 5’7. The rest of his game is pretty good. He might be the most offensively talented defensemen on the 18’s. Very good skater, puck handler and passer. If he was three inches taller, I could see him being a late first/early second, so it’s not a question of talent. 5’7 defensemen with big defensive deficiencies don’t get drafted the first time around. He could play his way into an NHL contract eventually or he could be drafted in a year or two.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought Fensore had a really good WJC18.

I think it might've been incorrect to say he can't defend. He hasn't defended as bad this season as McCarthy or Vlasic, and at the World Championships, I only saw one or two instances where he was beat defensively. His defensive struggles are mostly a matter of getting outmuscled near the net.

If he can put on 30 pounds during his time at Boston University and in the AHL without losing any of his mobility, I think he has the talent to reach the NHL. He has a pretty good base of offensive talent, and he might be able to hold up defensively. I think he would be a better 6th or 7th round pick than a low skill grinder. The way the NHL is trending, smaller players now have more of a chance to make it. In five years, a 5'7 NHL defensemen might not be that unusual.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
I agree with your previous comment. The Cup playoffs have been a struggle fest for smallish players and especially D in this category. So many seem to disappear when the physicality picks up.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How's his frame? Francis Bouillon "Cube" carved out a decent career and he wasn't a puck savant, but he was as wide as a trailer. If this kid can get a couple more inches, never mind extra weight, he could play at Rafalski's size, too.

I feel like drafting depts would look past size in the later rounds for a talent like that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He seems like a litmus test for the desire to find offensive skill on the blueline. He clearly has it, but yeah, his defensive game needs work. I was hoping he'd be a nice option for Buffalo with their 3 6ths, but it seems like he's gained notice and has shuffled higher. Pronman does seem to have a yen for skill-first guys, so it's not too much of a surprise to here him talking Dom up.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
It’s a very old school way of thinking but I just don’t think I can bring myself to draft Fensore, not because of his talent but because I don’t see how a 5’7 dman can be successful in the NHL. I could be very wrong and I hope I am, we may even get to the point where it’s common place but right now, I can’t see how a 5’7 D can play in the NHL in a regular role.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
No question he's getting taken by somebody. I could see a team picking him as high as late 3rd if they have a bunch of picks.
I’m a Coyotes fan and I’d be happy if they took him in the 3rd with either their pick or the Chicago pick.

I was once happy when the Coyotes picked Connor Clifton and then disappointed when they later let him go. I’m okay with these kinds of gambles.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I think he could pan out similarly to Victor Mete. Yes, he will get outmuscled most of the times, but thanks to his tremendous speed he will also to be the first to the puck avoiding physical contact a lot of times.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
There’s a 5’9 174 lb dman in the cup finals right now, came though usdp and BU, I’d be happy if the Rangers can grab him in the 4th and probably wouldn’t mind if in the 3rd. Talented player and likely more offensive upside still, one of the youngest players in this draft. If he’s around in the 6th or 7th he’ll be a steal. Came in at 5’7.5 154 at the combine, he can still catch a growth spurt and will bulk up while in college. Sam Girard is another decent comparable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad