D Derek Forbort (2010, 15th, LAK)

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Did a quick search, and very little info on this guy. Can anyone give some information, insight on Derek Forbort and his game?

I see he's rated in a wide variety of places in all the rankings, and I've only read like 2-3 scouting reports on him, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Things like, how his season his going, his strengths and weakness', NHL player comparison etc.

Any info would be great! :handclap:

Thanks.

Hollywood Bad Boy

Apr 6, 2009
check out a scouting report on thescoutingreport.org. Forbort is a tremendous athlete with raw abilities and potential. With coaching and experience, he can be a top pair defenseman who will contribute points. However, when these type of players don't develop as quickly as a team would like, it's easy to label them a bust. He reminds me of Keaton Ellerby during his draft year. If Ellerby develops to his potential, Florida will have a top notch defenseman.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
The mystery man. I saw him in the MN state tourney last year. Obviously skilled, but lanky and still growing into his body, like a colt. His team trailed so he was moved up front to generate offense. At that time, mostly a poke-checker on defense; not very physical.

The fact that he's still being ranked as a first-rounder by most services well into his USNDT year suggests to me that he must be on track. There was a risk he'd move to that program and be exposed in a way he wasn't in high school. Now that teams have seen him at a higher level, they can worry less about a David Fischer pick.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
Just curious to know how he's developing now. Its well known that he has just raw athleticism and that it would take him time to develop. It's been 2 years now and wondering how he's progressing.

Whats his potential like now. You don't hear much about him

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Just curious to know how he's developing now. Its well known that he has just raw athleticism and that it would take him time to develop. It's been 2 years now and wondering how he's progressing.

Whats his potential like now. You don't hear much about him

He got bumped off the powerplay midway through last season and he's settling into a shutdown role for NoDak. He's a fantastic athlete and had a great opportunity to be an elite college defenseman but never really took the reins. Too many mental lapses and too many games where he just didn't show up. His defensive game has improved but the offense still isn't coming through. Maybe the hockey sense just isn't there. Certainly not yet the two-way force the Kings were hoping he'd become. He has a year left so here's hoping he makes the best of it.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think he was compared to Erik Johnson alot around MN. Big kid, strong, agile but not the power physical guy you want for that frame. . Going in there Ann Arbor days and high school days. EJ turned the corner much faster.

Forbort remians that big kid with potential, but.....

NoDak is a team thats lets its top players play alot. No problem playing a guy that has earned it, top PP, PK, even strength and double shifts. On the flip side if you do not have it, you sit out even strength and the like. He does not have that killer instinct so he has not played himself into a top role.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
Is he ahead or below Dillon Simpson on the depth chart?

Ahead, Forbort and MacWilliam are 1/2, I would put Mattson ahead of Simpson as well. Mattson and Simpson are first pairing PP guys, but Mattson also killed penalties last year, I would guess Simpson will this year as well.

Last edited:

as15

Sep 21, 2012
I think he was compared to Erik Johnson alot around MN. Big kid, strong, agile but not the power physical guy you want for that frame. . Going in there Ann Arbor days and high school days. EJ turned the corner much faster.

Forbort remians that big kid with potential, but.....

NoDak is a team thats lets its top players play alot. No problem playing a guy that has earned it, top PP, PK, even strength and double shifts. On the flip side if you do not have it, you sit out even strength and the like. He does not have that killer instinct so he has not played himself into a top role.

I'm not sure why you think he doesn't play alot, he was on the top pairing with Ben Blood all of last year. He was on the first PK the entire year and the second PP for the majority of the year. Forbort's big issue is that he is not aggressive enough in all aspects of the game. As you alluded to, he is not physical at all, which is a problem when you are 6'5. He is still very effective defensively, but it would be nice if he added that snarl to his game.

Offensively, he is very frustrating. He is an extremely good passer but he is very reluctant to skate the puck even though he has that ability. He rarely jumps into the play or pinches in the offensive zone, but when he does he is very, very good. Find some highlights of him from last year's Final Five and you will wonder how this guy isn't a PPG player. If he can figure out how to play aggressively at all times, you are looking at an extremely good player, he just hasn't shown it consistently yet. This will be the year for him to really show what he can do.

Last edited:

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I'm not sure why you think he doesn't play alot, he was on the top pairing with Ben Blood all of last year. He was on the first PK the entire year and the second PP for the majority of the year. Forbort's big issue is that he is not aggressive enough in all aspects of the game. As you alluded to, he is not physical at all, which is a problem when you are 6'5. He is still very effective defensively, but it would be nice if he added that snarl to his game.

Offensively, he is very frustrating. He is an extremely good passer but he is very reluctant to skate the puck even though he has that ability. He rarely jumps into the play or pinches in the offensive zone, but when he does he is very, very good. Find some highlights of him from last year's Final Five and you will wonder how this guy isn't a PPG player. If he can figure out how to play aggressively at all times, you are looking at an extremely good player, he just hasn't shown it consistently yet. This will be the year for him to really show what he can do.

Very intrigued by this prospect, thanks for the info. Do you think he could have a Jake Gardiner type junior year jump? Seem to be hearing a lot of the same stuff that was said before his junior season.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
Very intrigued by this prospect, thanks for the info. Do you think he could have a Jake Gardiner type junior year jump? Seem to be hearing a lot of the same stuff that was said before his junior season.

Probably not quite that large of a jump. I expect Forbort to have over 20 points, maybe pushing 30 if he gets alot of PP time but I don't expect that to happen. Forbort will always be more defensive compared to Gardiner, and isn't nearly as fast.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Probably not quite that large of a jump. I expect Forbort to have over 20 points, maybe pushing 30 if he gets alot of PP time but I don't expect that to happen. Forbort will always be more defensive compared to Gardiner, and isn't nearly as fast.

I imagine Shmaltz will end up QBing the powerplay before long, barring growing pains. I can't see Forbort being more than a 2nd pairing PP guy and even then I think he'd just be on that unit because of seniority to start the year and could easily be bumped out by Mattson/Simpson/Gleason. Senkbeil was also pretty decent offensively in junior.

The positive with Forbort is that he still projects OK as a pro defenseman (in the Willie Mitchell mold) but I think most people had or still have higher hopes.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
I imagine Shmaltz will end up QBing the powerplay before long, barring growing pains. I can't see Forbort being more than a 2nd pairing PP guy and even then I think he'd just be on that unit because of seniority to start the year and could easily be bumped out by Mattson/Simpson/Gleason. Senkbeil was also pretty decent offensively in junior.

The positive with Forbort is that he still projects OK as a pro defenseman (in the Willie Mitchell mold) but I think most people had or still have higher hopes.

I would guess Mattson and Schmaltz are on the first PP, with Simpson and Forbort on the second. Which leaves the two seniors Gleason and MacWilliam out, at least that is how it was last year. Senkbeil won't be in the lineup, let alone on a powerplay.

I agree that he still projects as a solid puck-mover with plus defensive skills in the NHL, but he shows glimpses of his talent that make you want/expect more from him.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Wow, really had to pull this one up from the dead circa 2012 but thought it might be worth it in this case.

Derek Forbort has been a very slow-burn, slow-developing prospect but he's certainly come into his own recently. The former 15th overall pick is now 24 and only a rookie in the NHL but he has appeared in every Kings game this season and over the past two weeks he's put in work: 7 Games, 3 points, +4, and averaging a whooping 22:13 of ice per game including heavy short-handed loads and even regular PP time and earning the title of Drew Doughty's regular partner. While playing next to Doughty certainly eases the transition - the idea that Forbort, once close to bust territory in these parts, is now playing this kind of role is pretty darn cool. He's physically imposing and strong, fights, blocks shots all over the place, skates well for his size and has better passing and vision than you might think.

Looks like the Kings have quietly developed another really good defender. Sometimes patience pays off both for the team and the player.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Wow, really had to pull this one up from the dead circa 2012 but thought it might be worth it in this case.

Derek Forbort has been a very slow-burn, slow-developing prospect but he's certainly come into his own recently. The former 15th overall pick is now 24 and only a rookie in the NHL but he has appeared in every Kings game this season and over the past two weeks he's put in work: 7 Games, 3 points, +4, and averaging a whooping 22:13 of ice per game including heavy short-handed loads and even regular PP time and earning the title of Drew Doughty's regular partner. While playing next to Doughty certainly eases the transition - the idea that Forbort, once close to bust territory in these parts, is now playing this kind of role is pretty darn cool. He's physically imposing and strong, fights, blocks shots all over the place, skates well for his size and has better passing and vision than you might think.

Looks like the Kings have quietly developed another really good defender. Sometimes patience pays off both for the team and the player.

What makes the Kings (and teams like the Hawks) so good is their development program keeps cranking out effective NHLers. At this point the entire top six is homegrown with a couple of acquired pieces for the bottom pair/7th D.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What makes the Kings (and teams like the Hawks) so good is their development program keeps cranking out effective NHLers. At this point the entire top six is homegrown with a couple of acquired pieces for the bottom pair/7th D.

Wasn't Muzzin from the Pens?

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Forbort has played really well this year. Just a solid 3-4 defenseman. Took a lot of AHL years to get him to LA. Still don't think he should have gone so high in the draft, especially seeing who was picked after.

Playing with Doughty helps too.

Kings also are grooming Gravel and LaDue.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad