Prospect Info: D Declan Chisholm (2018 5th, 150th overall) - Signed ELC

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Great skating D man but he doesn't think the game at the same speed but you hope he can develop that over the next couple of years

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Over in the prospects thread there are a few posts from Petes fans who say he has a solid 200 foot game. Obviously his point totals are more than I could have hoped for in his Draft +2 season let alone his draft +1 so that is a massive plus. One of the posters also commented that he is a great kid and that doesn't hurt. Loved the point in his interview where he mentioned "his best friends dad is a scout for the Jets" so I guess we probably know who went to bat for Declan in the war room.

Great to have this kind of a defensive prospect in the pipeline.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Great skater, playing a smarter, calmer more positional game this year, so starting to assert himself in all 3 zones. Some interesting quotes from his new coach:

"We all know he is a great skater, he's got great feet, but his gap control is really good now," said Wilson. "I remember watching some stuff where I thought we could improve his gap and he has improved on his gap. When the attack is coming in on him he's limiting the time and space of the opposing team very well. He and (Cole) Fraser are playing against the other team's top line every game and they're doing a great job for us. That's hard to do but it's showing the responsibility he has to take it upon himself to be that defenceman. It's also not hurt his offensive production."

Source: Scouts noticing Peterborough Petes defenceman Declan Chisholm’s breakout year

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Great skater, playing a smarter, calmer more positional game this year, so starting to assert himself in all 3 zones. Some interesting quotes from his new coach:

"We all know he is a great skater, he's got great feet, but his gap control is really good now," said Wilson. "I remember watching some stuff where I thought we could improve his gap and he has improved on his gap. When the attack is coming in on him he's limiting the time and space of the opposing team very well. He and (Cole) Fraser are playing against the other team's top line every game and they're doing a great job for us. That's hard to do but it's showing the responsibility he has to take it upon himself to be that defenceman. It's also not hurt his offensive production."

Source: Scouts noticing Peterborough Petes defenceman Declan Chisholm’s breakout year

So a "5th ROUND" D +1 PPG D man that is on the shut down pair getting recognized for his gap control and defensive skill. :vhappy:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Our D looks like it could be our strength in the future. These prospects seem better than Chariot Morrow and Myers

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It’s uneducated comments like this that create myths.

They did shift their drafting strategy with regards to dmen the following draft year. How much of that had to do with Stanley and Cederholm I don't know but since that draft they have placed far greater weight on skating, puck skills, offense and the ability to break the puck out.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They did shift their drafting strategy with regards to dmen the following draft year. How much of that had to do with Stanley and Cederholm I don't know but since that draft they have placed far greater weight on skating, puck skills, offense and the ability to break the puck out.
It appears Stanley was a single player draft strategy. The last defenseman drafted before him was Niku in the 7th round the season before and Green the pick directly after him. Don't see how Cederholm is any type of trend beginning or ending? The next season the first 2 defenseman picked were even bigger kids in Samberg and Kovacevic followed by Gawanke then a big kid in Evingson. Then Chisholm and Vallati last season. Going back before Niku you see the same variety in defenseman types being picked along the way.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Or maybe when they drafted Niku, or Morrissey...

Niku was a shot in the dark that’s turned out incredible.

Exactly.

Kovacevic, Samberg, Gawanke and Chisholm all looking like they have NHL potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad