D Connor Murphy (Sarnia Sting / Phoenix Coyotes)

Tweaked9107

Some say...
May 31, 2008
Sussex, England
What's the story with this guy? I know he has top 4 potential but the real question i'm interested in is his injury status. Will the prior injuries (back and knee) cause issues in the future, or was it just pure bad luck from a bad hit or something that caused them?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The back issue was a stress fracture caused in the weight room during the offseason. He then reinjured the same injury. The knee injury was more of an unfortunate fluke collision during practice. So the good news is that the two aren't related. (perhaps the back injury could have caused weakness in the knee but I doubt it).

Tweaked9107

Some say...
May 31, 2008
Sussex, England
So could that stress fracture be a problem in the future, or is it just an injury that he aggrevated and should go away now? I don't know much about how these injuries can be caused/repeated.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He's not an exceptionally physical player despite good size, so I don't thnk there's much risk of him wearing down conventionally. He's a very good two-way prospect so hopefully he holds up.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Love him as a player. Just wish he could stay healthy and get more consistent minutes.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
So could that stress fracture be a problem in the future, or is it just an injury that he aggrevated and should go away now? I don't know much about how these injuries can be caused/repeated.

You're guess is as good as mine. He could have a structural issue (not saying he does) or it could be a freak thing that didn't heal properly.

He did rehab that knee injury, and reports were that he was in tip top shape, so that's probably a good sign.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
What's going with Murphy this year? Just looking at his stats with the 3 pts and -6 at this point of the season, was wondering what the story behind that was.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
He plays on a piss poor Sarnia Squad that does not know what defense is.

Murphy is also a reason as to why Sarnia's defense is so terrible, IMO... He has some good-great moments but other times he is just a turnover machine. He has ways to go in his defensive play.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
Murphy had a great start to the season. He was all over the ice, playing physical and playing very solid defence. He was also carrying the puck extremely well. But then it just went all down hill. He has had some nice flashes offensively, but he can't keep the puck on his stick. He shoots it up the boards without looking, and he holds on the puck far too long. Lately, he's been a turnover machine. He's also had some trouble staying on his skates, he slips or loses an edge more often than normal.

To be fair though, Sarnia is a terrible team. Much worse than I expected they would be. There defence is absolutely horrible and they get little help from the their forwards.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
As another Hab fan watching Sarnia closely this year, Murphy's probably been their best overall D. Unfortunately that's not saying a whole lot. He's had ups and downs like the rest of the team, but I like the way he plays. I think he'd do a lot better on a better team, if that's not stating the obvious.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
I can certainly tell that none of you watch Sarnia with these comments.

Murphy has been easily Sarnia's best and most consistent defenseman this year. They aren't the most defensive team but to call this "piss poor" is ignorant.

Murphy has been exceptional in games and his stats aren't telling any part of the story. He logs a ton of minutes and defensively is one of the smartest defenders in the OHL. As with most junior players, he will make some turnovers but compared to others at this level it's not even close.

Watch the games and stop basing everything on stat tracking. There's been a lot of improvement in his game especially defensively this season.

BTW, Sarnia is actually a better "team" than they were last year. Much harder working and they have players that player better defined roles.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Murphy has been easily Sarnia's best and most consistent defenseman this year. They aren't the most defensive team but to call this "piss poor" is ignorant.

Murphy has been exceptional in games and his stats aren't telling any part of the story. He logs a ton of minutes and defensively is one of the smartest defenders in the OHL. As with most junior players, he will make some turnovers but compared to others at this level it's not even close.

Watch the games and stop basing everything on stat tracking. There's been a lot of improvement in his game especially defensively this season.

BTW, Sarnia is actually a better "team" than they were last year. Much harder working and they have players that player better defined roles.

Come on man. If you're calling Murphy "exceptional" and saying he's one the "smartest defenders in the OHL", I'm going to have wonder if you're watching the games.

I agree with best and most consistent - but with the caveat that, like I said before, that still isn't a glowing review. He's been the best of a pretty average bunch.

Last edited:

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto

Really? I've seen every game that Sarnia has played this year except on Oct 6th against Sault Ste Marie. On top of that I caught a ton of Sarnia games during the second half of last season. So yes, I feel rather informed on my opinion of Connor Murphy.

He's definitely been better offensively than the 3 points that he's gotten, though.

I definitely agree with what hototogisu said. He has been Sarnia's best and most consistent defenceman, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You're guess is as good as mine. He could have a structural issue (not saying he does) or it could be a freak thing that didn't heal properly.

He did rehab that knee injury, and reports were that he was in tip top shape, so that's probably a good sign.

It was a training issue. Improper technique that caused the issues in the past.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004

I've watched every game and I agree with everything That and Hototogisu said. Connor Murphy has been up and down all year. He's been the best of that unit, but that unit has been an absolute train wreck at times. He's got good potential but needs to be more consistent and smarter with the puck.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
This kid seems to be made of glass. :shakehead

Hopefully it's just a condition issue, or some absurdly bad luck, and not structural.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Really had a good showing at the WJC. Shame about the injury. Might've been a mistake to forego the NCAA. Looks like he's going to need a degree afterall. I don't think he can make a career out of zero to thirty games per season.

EDIT: He's averaged 31gp in the last four seasons.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
jacksonUnbreakable.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad