D Cody Corbett - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2012 undrafted)

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
Keep an eye on this player, he's draft eligible this year. He's only played 2 games so far to this point, has a goal and assist in tonight's game. He's got a very nice skillset for a defenseman. Thick-bodied, puck moving, hard shooting, decent skater. Just everything you'd look for in a defenseman. The Oil Kings have an embarrassment of riches on the backend.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Keep an eye on this player, he's draft eligible this year. He's only played 2 games so far to this point, has a goal and assist in tonight's game. He's got a very nice skillset for a defenseman. Thick-bodied, puck moving, hard shooting, decent skater. Just everything you'd look for in a defenseman. The Oil Kings have an embarrassment of riches on the backend.

Great game from Corbett tonight, smart puck mover with a wicked shot.

Great choice for him to come to Edmonton to develop, a lot more scouts have noticed him.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
i was thinking this myself when i heard he was going to play for edmonton. 6'1 210 mobile puckmoving dman. He had a very good season last year as a 16yo in minnesota HS. He is looking very comfortable in the dub, it will be interesting to see if he can make some noise up the rankings.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Was very curious to see how he played now that he's come North. Sounds like a solid player.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Watched him all Fall in the Upper Midwest (MN) Elite League. Solid skater, physical, moves the puck well, good first pass. Leadership qualities, big time point shot. Just a crazy development curve too.

The issue is that he was starting to do too much, skating laps during his shifts. To me that tells me he wasn't being challenged, so going to the Dub is big for him.

To me, he's at his best when he isn't jumping up in the play; taking care of his end and moving the puck up.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Watched him all Fall in the Upper Midwest (MN) Elite League. Solid skater, physical, moves the puck well, good first pass. Leadership qualities, big time point shot. Just a crazy development curve too.

The issue is that he was starting to do too much, skating laps during his shifts. To me that tells me he wasn't being challenged, so going to the Dub is big for him.

To me, he's at his best when he isn't jumping up in the play; taking care of his end and moving the puck up.

Couldn't agree more.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
Seen him in person once now. And he seems like a really good player, I like him a lot.
Edmonton's defensive line is excellent. Pysyk is his usual steady self, Reinhart has had a bit of a slow start but seems to be coming around, and Gernat has been an excellent surprise. Lowe still takes a number of stupid penalties though.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
the oil kings have one of the best defences in the dub, at least on paper. they are only gonna get better as the season progresses i think, especially corbett, reinhart and gernat

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How the hell and why the hell was this kid passed over? TWICE....

I have no idea to be fairly honest, he was my choice as "most improved player" last year and still think he deserved a selection last year. Even though he has been over twice, I am still confident a team will invite him to training camp or sign him to a ELC in the offseason.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota has brought him into camp twice. I think they are interested in him. We'll see after this season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ryan Wilson/Boychuk, solid 5-6 defenseman with offensive upside.

#2 Cody Corbett – Two-Way Defenseman [2013 OA]
Pros: Uses his stick well. Decent skater. Has improved a lot since last season. Decent offensive talent.
Cons: Prone to force pass into traffic. Needs to improve positioning.
Potential: Top 6 defenseman

Here is my basic scouting of him from a year ago. Should have been drafted last year if it wasn't so freakin' deep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad