D Chris Bigras (2013, 32nd, COL)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think he's a solid prospect.

He kind of reminds me of Matt Finn. Doesn't have the shot and maybe a little less skilled though.

I could see him going somewhere around the 3rd round.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
I'm a fan. He reminds me a lot of Matt Finn and Xavier Ouellet. Bigras plays defensively round, quiet game. I think he may have more offensive potential than the two that I mentioned, but he doesn't have the shot that they possess. He always gets his shot through though. Bigras is also much more willing to pinch than Ouellet and Finn. Very rarely do you see him play the body, even when he bodychecks he hits the stick not the player. He uses his body to block the player from the puck, it's very effective. Bigras is also a good passer, with all his passes being very accurate and hard.

Bigras really does need to improve his speed though. Honestly, that combined with that and his shot, I don't think he's a first round talent yet. If he improves them then maybe he will be, but I have him in the second round for now.

bidzey*

He plays a none flashy game, which was the reason he was 41rst overall in the OHL draft. I wonder where he would've placed if they knew then what they know now.

He does need to improve his shot, but I find he's quicker this year than last. He's not the roadrunner or anything, but I don't find his speed to be his top concern right now. He's also 20lbs heavier this year.

I'm comparing him to Claude Lemieux, not for skill sets or style play, but because they share a very simular and valuable asset, the more important the games are the more they perform. Just look at the last half of last year's season onto the playoffs.

Don't have a clue where he's gonna place for the 2013 draft, but I do expect him to go up in direction if he moves at all.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I'm perplexed as for why ISS has him in the "falling" category. If anything, I thought he'd be a riser as a guy who came in as a bit of an underdog and performing well overall.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
He plays a none flashy game, which was the reason he was 41rst overall in the OHL draft. .

He was rated as a top 20 player, but had NCAA options. Scouts don't care about 'flashy ness', they care about potential and results.

bidzey*

I'm perplexed as for why ISS has him in the "falling" category. If anything, I thought he'd be a riser as a guy who came in as a bit of an underdog and performing well overall.

that surprises me too, he's very near the top of the OHL for plus-minus rating, and 6 points in 9 games is nothing to shake a stick at. I do agree with them he's trying to do too much this year at times. He's given a hefty role this year on the team, and maybe it's just a groove he's got to find and play this role a bit more simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs took him 32nd overall.

But what is so interesting is that Rick Pracey (Head Avs Scout, always find gems in the OHL) said that Bigras was a mid 1st round talent on their list and was very happy he was there at 32. Also he didn't say this directly, but I get a feeling from him that he's the Ryan O'Reilly of defensemen.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Avs took him 32nd overall.

But what is so interesting is that Rick Pracey (Head Avs Scout, always find gems in the OHL) said that Bigras was a mid 1st round talent on their list and was very happy he was there at 32. Also he didn't say this directly, but I get a feeling from him that he's the Ryan O'Reilly of defensemen.

Looks like the Avs stole my llist :P

MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov as their top 3 and Bigras mid-first

Really like this draft for Colorado

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm a fan. He reminds me a lot of Matt Finn and Xavier Ouellet. Bigras plays defensively round, quiet game. I think he may have more offensive potential than the two that I mentioned, but he doesn't have the shot that they possess. He always gets his shot through though. Bigras is also much more willing to pinch than Ouellet and Finn. Very rarely do you see him play the body, even when he bodychecks he hits the stick not the player. He uses his body to block the player from the puck, it's very effective. Bigras is also a good passer, with all his passes being very accurate and hard.

Bigras really does need to improve his speed though. Honestly, that combined with that and his shot, I don't think he's a first round talent yet. If he improves them then maybe he will be, but I have him in the second round for now.

Funny people in this thread think he needs to improve his skating since he's ranked the best skater in the draft. Ahead of Mackinnon in #2, at 9.7/10

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
Funny people in this thread think he needs to improve his skating since he's ranked the best skater in the draft. Ahead of Mackinnon in #2, at 9.7/10

Look at the date of the post. ;)

Bigras improved both his skating and shot substantially over the course of the season. He also can skate for what seems like forever and never seems to tire.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Look at the date of the post. ;)

Bigras improved both his skating and shot substantially over the course of the season. He also can skate for what seems like forever and never seems to tire.

Well thats great news. Good even that he has the drive to try and improve himself that greatly.

I'm excited for this pick.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Roy: D Chris Bigras could be a surprise and make a team.

I really hope they aren't swinging for the fences with him. He'd be a nice reliable d-man. Rushing him would be a shame.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm actually loving this pick now.

I think he's one of those players who flew under the radar the whole year. He never had a bad year, hell he actually improved his deficiencies. Other teams just fell in love with other players.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I really wanted Hagg with this pick, and I still kind of do, but the more I here about Bigras the more ok I am with this pick, I really hope he's able to turn into a Dan Hamhuis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad