LD Cam York - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2019, 14th, PHI)

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Fair enough. To be clear, I have #1-2 as tier 1, #3-4 as tier 2 and at #5-7 I have York together with Boldy and Krebs in a 3rd tier and it's very close between those guys for me, but with everything else being equal, York being a D gives him slightly higher value on my board.
Mind sharing your rankings? I like reading your takes on players :)

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's going to be under-drafted, and turn into a top 10 player from the 2019 draft. I don't know if he has the upside to be a top 5 player from the 2019 draft because there will be some elite players from this draft unless it ends up being a terrible draft, but I think York has a really high floor. I'd be very surprised if he's not a 2/3D.

York is one of my favorite players in the 2019 draft. Good in all zones, smart player, skates well, excellent passer and QB's the PP. I'm hoping players such as Seider, Heinola, Harley are picked before him, and he drops to the Rangers second first round pick.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I wouldn’t mind seeing the Habs take him at #15 depending on who else may slide, and he will probably be available there. He has been solid for the NTDP for two seasons.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought that was a penalty and thought York had his worst game of the tournament today.

On Russia's second goal, he unnecessarily chased after a puck that he was never going to get to and Thrun was much closer to. It allowed Podkolzin to throw the puck back across to his teammate who York should've been marking. Knight should've done better on this goal, but the defense of York on that goal wasn't great.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He looks like a good one to me. One of those guys that skates effortlessly yet still covers a ton of ground.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
This may be a controversial take, but I am unimpressed by him as a top 15 candidate.

I think being surrounded by an insane amount of talent up front has inflated his numbers and made him look like a better prospect than he is.

He's a smaller player who does not have a dynamic offensive skillset.

Not a bad player at all, but I don't see a future top pairing defenceman on a contending team.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
This may be a controversial take, but I am unimpressed by him as a top 15 candidate.

I think being surrounded by an insane amount of talent up front has inflated his numbers and made him look like a better prospect than he is.

Not a bad player at all, but I don't see a future top pairing defenceman on a contending team.

I agree. I don't think he's bad, but he suffers from extreme tunnel vision/puck watching.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

He's the best passer in the draft most likely. He facilitates so much of the US offense. Yes he plays with an insanely talented team, but he's a huge part of that offense being as good as it is. Great players benefit from playing with each other. To not call him dynamic...I don't know what you're watching, unless your definition of dynamic is wildly different from my own. Yes, he doesn't have a huge point shot, but he does have everything else you need in a player offensively.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
He's the best passer in the draft most likely. He facilitates so much of the US offense. Yes he plays with an insanely talented team, but he's a huge part of that offense being as good as it is. Great players benefit from playing with each other. To not call him dynamic...I don't know what you're watching, unless your definition of dynamic is wildly different from my own. Yes, he doesn't have a huge point shot, but he does have everything else you need in a player offensively.

I think the point shot thing is a bit over rated in hockey today. It's not the big wind up slapper, it's direct it on the net or continue to work the puck to the open man for the one timer in most cases.

Reactions: Jacob

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
The biggest unknown for me. Really wished I watched more of him, but he was dynamite this tournament.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This kid is really underrated. Can't believe the scouts McKenzie polled had Harley over him. No freaking way.

Reactions: JLT

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I didn't think York had that great of a tournament, but this type of tournament does disservice to the game he plays. York is not flashy, and judging him based on seven games or less is not going to give a full picture of the consistency he brings over the course of a season. He doesn't have many super great games, but he almost always plays well, and it adds up over the course of a season. Aside from being a very accurate passer, York doesn't do much great, but he also doesn't do much poorly.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

I'm the opposite, I think people perceive him as an offensive defenseman, when in actuality he is a two-way puck distributor. He uses his speed to cover more ice in the defensive end and gets it out of the zone quickly. He might not be the guy with a ceiling of 55-70 points offensive dman, but I see him as a 45-55 point top pairing shutdown defender as his ceiling. I think his offensive numbers are slightly inflated because of his line mates, but he always seems to be on the ice when his team scores. I know +/- can be a bit of a flawed stat, especially on a stacked team. I just think he plays a very safe and smart game without taking too many risks. It is eerily similar to how I would describe Dobson from last years draft. They don't play the exact same, but in that way they connect.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I'm the opposite, I think people perceive him as an offensive defenseman, when in actuality he is a two-way puck distributor. He uses his speed to cover more ice in the defensive end and gets it out of the zone quickly. He might not be the guy with a ceiling of 55-70 points offensive dman, but I see him as a 45-55 point top pairing shutdown defender as his ceiling. I think his offensive numbers are slightly inflated because of his line mates, but he always seems to be on the ice when his team scores. I know +/- can be a bit of a flawed stat, especially on a stacked team. I just think he plays a very safe and smart game without taking too many risks. It is eerily similar to how I would describe Dobson from last years draft. They don't play the exact same, but in that way they connect.

How many 45-55 point top pairing shutdown defenseman are in the NHL right now? How many have there been in history? I like the kid, but I don’t think many know how rare it is to see a shutdown defenseman to surpass 40 points on any given year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad