D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
*Nobody separates themselves with one month.

Better?
Much better, because it's completely different from "for good".

Praytell...
How is not separation when one plays in the NHL... Plays a top role (like 1C... You know, playing against the opponents' best lines night in, night out)... Is producing to the tune of a 67 points pace (good for 2nd on his team and 2nd for all rookies)

Vs

Playing in the juniors or in a European league?

The only one that is remotely close to Hischier is Patrick (injured, 0.33 ppg, not playing a top role), but Nico has performed much better (way more points, way more responsibility) than him. Everyone else is not even in the same galaxy so far.

Is any of this wrong?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Makar vs Fabbro:. Months apart in age and putting up similar numbers in college...who's better? GO

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Makar vs Fabbro:. Months apart in age and putting up similar numbers in college...who's better? GO

They're just so immensely different players and their situations are so completely different that it's not really a comparison you can make at this point. Fabbro has that extra year of experience at the NCAA level and a much better team around him with a much higher pedigree; but he also didn't have nearly as much responsibility & opportunity placed upon his shoulders right away. With Makar and the other new players Umass has an 8-6 record after going 5-29-2 last year, and Makar is clearly their star player who the entire team is built around. That is just such a radically different environment for a young player than slowly being worked up the totem pole by one of the powerhouses of that level.

And that's not even getting into just how disparate their strengths & weaknesses as players are.

Personally, I'm always fond of seeing young talents playing pivotal roles in their teams' success, even if that level of success is much more moderate; but that isn't the end-all, be-all. In the long run I'm thrilled that we have Makar, but that doesn't take anything away from Fabbro...who could well end up the better NHLer, especially with BU & Nashville's track records of developing NHL talents & the risk of Makar stagnating before making all of the strides he'll need to to reach that Duncan Keith 2.0 potential that he got hyped for having in the build up to the draft.

I'm just in love with how smart, driven, skilled & ridiculously explosive Makar is...throw in him measuring in bigger than expected at the combine, his excellent debut on the TC scene during the summer series, and the huge role he's playing in Umass's turn around this season; and my excitement over Makar has only grown over the past year.

Reactions: 99664987

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He hasn't impressed me at the wjc.

Might that perhaps have more to do with his minimal usage when ever Ducharme has been able to avoid having to turn to Cale; rather than with what he's done when he's actually been allowed on the ice?

Because when he's been on the ice, this avs fan hasn't been able to help but feel his excitement continue grow. Even against the best of the best in his peer-group his skillset is on another level, and the intelligence/creativity is on display at both ends of the ice even if he's still lacking in experience.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He hasn't impressed me at the wjc.

Well that's pretty funny. Considering he's been the best Dman Canada has had all tournament despite getting the least amount of minutes. He makes something happen almost every time he's on the ice.

But dont take my word for it, go have a look at the countless number of posts in GDTs or the Canada roster thread from people praising his play and demanding more ice time for him. Or the experts like Bobby Mac, O'neil, Pronman, etc. etc.

It's not very often an opinion can be wrong, but it does happen. This is one of those times.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I love him. Was just bumping the thread and wanted to hear people's opinions on agreement or not.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I love him. Was just bumping the thread and wanted to hear people's opinions on agreement or not.

I'd disagree with him being not impressive. He's been really good, producing as you would want from an offensive dman, despite the fact that he is getting limited minutes (for whatever reason). You can see the all world talent, just wish Ducharme would actually utilize him more.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Not only is he amazing, but he has also grown it seems. People were not a fan of his 5'10 stature at the draft. He looks bigger than that on the ice and here is a picture of him stood beside 6'1 Dante Fabbro and they are both pretty much the same height. I mean there could be some small equipment differences such as one wearing a skate with a thicker heel. But there's no chance in hell he's 3 inches shorter. I'd bank on Makar already being 6'0.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Any idea why he's deserving the least amount of icetime?

Because Ducharme is such a successful coach :help:. He'll stick with his returnees, even if they can barely skate they're so banged up. From what I've seen the hockey world almost unanimously wants Makar to get more ice time.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Kid's a dynamo at the WJC. Can run the PP effortlessly. I expect Makar to tear up the NCAA in the last half of the season after the WJC tourny is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad