D Cale Makar (2017, 4th, COL) Part 2

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Makar and Adam Fox will have a battle all year who will be top scoring dman in NCAA... Love both those guys and am happy they will be apart of two exciting NHL teams to watch

+ Quinn Hughes while being younger than both Makar and Fox.

So far

Fox 15 points in 7 GP
Makar 15 points in 11 GP
Hughes 13 points in 11 GP

Fox's numbers are ridiculous though lol.

Reactions: L13

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Makar and Fox play in weaker divisions than Hughes , Perunovich has 16 points in 12 games plays in by far the tough's conference and was rookie of the year in college last year . When looking at stats in college hockey there are so many variables as to strength of sch you play what conference you play in . Scoring 30 points in the NCHC would be similar to 45 in a few weaker conferences Alantic ECAC WCHA even Hockey East is not once what it use to be . They have a few strong teams but too many weak ones as well , Notre Dame left that hurt .
Fox has 15 points yes , 8 on the PP and 8 are secondary assists , you have to look deeper into stuff if you want to make true evaluations but yes those stats still look good and no he won't keep up that pace once teams get settled in .

member 157595

I would assume he signs the minute UMass's season is done?

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
Makar and Fox play in weaker divisions than Hughes , Perunovich has 16 points in 12 games plays in by far the tough's conference and was rookie of the year in college last year . When looking at stats in college hockey there are so many variables as to strength of sch you play what conference you play in . Scoring 30 points in the NCHC would be similar to 45 in a few weaker conferences Alantic ECAC WCHA even Hockey East is not once what it use to be . They have a few strong teams but too many weak ones as well , Notre Dame left that hurt .
Fox has 15 points yes , 8 on the PP and 8 are secondary assists , you have to look deeper into stuff if you want to make true evaluations but yes those stats still look good and no he won't keep up that pace once teams get settled in .

Really? Tkachuk scored one goal his first 15 games last year in the ECAC and 1 goal his last 15, and ended up with a grand total of 8. Was drafted 4th overall. Doing pretty well now.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Really? Tkachuk scored one goal his first 15 games last year in the ECAC and 1 goal his last 15, and ended up with a grand total of 8. Was drafted 4th overall. Doing pretty well now.
Yup he's doing well i agree but he was young enough he was drafted out of there .Look at the the pairwise rankings last year Hockey East fair really poor and are again this year, same with the other conferences i mentioned . There is usually an adjustment period for freshman as well especially true freshman .

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I personally think he will be a good deal better than Quinn Hughes at the NHL level.

He should be considering he was drafted 4th overall but it seems like Hughes is tracking better. Hughes is a year younger and putting up almost the same PPG.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I personally think he will be a good deal better than Quinn Hughes at the NHL level.

Fair enough, everyone has there view. What type of players do you see them as in the NHL?

I personally feel Hughes has higher offensive upside, but may not be as good defensively. Both are walking into pretty good situations when they make the jump.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Fair enough, everyone has there view. What type of players do you see them as in the NHL?

I personally feel Hughes has higher offensive upside, but may not be as good defensively. Both are walking into pretty good situations when they make the jump.

I think have nearly identical offensive ceilings (60-70 point guys) but Makar is way more proactive defensively and a faster skater. Quinn is fast, but Makar is borderline if not nearly as fast as McDavid. Plus, great shot, similar vision and both walk the line in the O-Zone.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I think have nearly identical offensive ceilings (60-70 point guys) but Makar is way more proactive defensively and a faster skater. Quinn is fast, but Makar is borderline if not nearly as fast as McDavid. Plus, great shot, similar vision and both walk the line in the O-Zone.

Nah,
I can understand people liking Makar more because of some attributes like shooting and goal scoring and defensive aggressiveness.
But Hughes is the better skater.
Hughes is the best skater in the NCAA.

Last edited:
Reactions: CP4

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014

..’nearly as fast as McDavid’

Uhh....NO!
Lol

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Hughes has much better edges, yes, but Makar is definitely faster.

Yikes.
You have countless people affirming this.
I primarily watch the NCAA and I don't even think it's really up for dispute.
Pronman said he is the best skating prospect he has seen since McDavid
Brian Campbell who is now a part time color analyst said "He'd be one of the best skaters in the NHL if you put him into a line-up right now, not just on Vancouver. He'd keep up with McDavid even if McDavid had a head of speed"
Andrew Merrick, and Buccigross said he is the best skater in the NCAA from the last few years.

I really dont think you've watched him.
I am not saying Hughes is better than Makar, but in the category of just skating.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad