D Blake Siebenaler - Niagara Ice Dogs - OHL (2014, 77th overall, Columbus)

jhoops89

R.I.P. Thrashers
Mar 14, 2012
6'1"
183lbs
USA

15th Round Pick in 2012 OHL Draft

"Siebenaler is an offensive minded defender who makes excellent reads in the offensive zone and dishes crisp passes. He skates beautifully with the puck and controls the point well on the powerplay. He is learning to be more consistent in his defensive game. (November 2013)" -Future Considerations and Elite Prospects

I noticed him while playing NHL 14 and decided to do a little research; but I couldn't find much. Do you guys know anything about him? Other than the description above.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Having seen both play extensively in the OHL, Siebenaler reminds me a lot of TJ Brodie in his draft year and early stages of development.

Right now his game revolves around his skating ability. Offensively, his game is driven by his ability to gain entry and avoid forecheckers in the defensive end. His ability to control the point, his shot, and his ability to jump up in the play are all works in progress.

His defensive game has actually improved a lot over the course of the season. His reads have been generally much better and he's a doing better job one on one in the corners and in front of the net. He still needs to add size, but he's showing a strong learning curve.

I think he's a solid round 3-4 guy at this point.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
NHL 14 has him rated too high if your asking where he's going to get drafted, expect him to go in the 3rd round. The main concern is how long he's been playing full-time defense (3 years). Good skating, a nice shot, and solid positioning on the ice, he is still very raw though, only time will tell how he will turn out.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Any more opinions from OHL watchers?

I'm not an "OHL watcher", but he is a favorite of mine. Obviously raw, but his smarts and poise are there which is what you want to see out of a puck-moving defenseman. He makes mistakes without the puck in his zone but from what I've seen that's more from the fact that he's a late switch to D than a low IQ hockey player. He will get better with more playing time on D as his understanding of the position improves and positioning in his own zone becomes a routine rather than something he has to think about. But generally he has the trio of puck-moving ability - vision/smarts, poise, skating.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I really like Siebenaler, i think he is significantly better than Haydon; smarter, skates better, defends better. By the end of the year, he was clearly their best D, IMO.

You really have to watch him skate, its truly a sight to behold when he eludes checks and begins a rush. I would classify him as a great skater, not simply a good one.

Has shown superb progression throughout the year and is on a steep development curve.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Having seen both play extensively in the OHL, Siebenaler reminds me a lot of TJ Brodie in his draft year and early stages of development.

Right now his game revolves around his skating ability. Offensively, his game is driven by his ability to gain entry and avoid forecheckers in the defensive end. His ability to control the point, his shot, and his ability to jump up in the play are all works in progress.

His defensive game has actually improved a lot over the course of the season. His reads have been generally much better and he's a doing better job one on one in the corners and in front of the net. He still needs to add size, but he's showing a strong learning curve.

I think he's a solid round 3-4 guy at this point.

That's a pretty good comparison.

Ace88*

Big fan. Saw a lot of him this year in niagara. At first Haydon was clearly better but siebenaler improved at such a fast rate that by decemberish he was very clearly the best defender on the team most nights. Bears a striking resemblance to Jake Gardiner and as someone else said TJ Brodie. Hes gonna make a lot of people wonder how he didnt go higher--i have him pegged at late 2nd or early 3rd.

One of the most improved players in the OHL. Skating and decision making are his strengths.

jhoops89

R.I.P. Thrashers
Mar 14, 2012
Any updates on this guy? Seems like a good player and developing fast. Any Niagara fans or other OHL fans that can tell me something about where he's projected to go. I'm hoping TB can pick him up at 50.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad