D Andreas Englund (2014, 40th, OTT)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Surprised theres almost zero talk about this prospect considering the fantastic WJC he had and the fact he's been playing with men for over 2 full seasons. Ottawa fans should be excited for this player.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's a shut down D man and the sens havent had the most luck in developing those... Well anything that amounts to much more than a borderline number 6/waiver player...

However other than his style its probably because not many posters watch a ton of the SHL id guess.

Other than the WJC thats all I have had the opportunity to see him, is he a strong player at the pro level? Do you think he could be a number 4 shut down type?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's a shut down D man and the sens havent had the most luck in developing those... Well anything that amounts to much more than a borderline number 6/waiver player...

However other than his style its probably because not many posters watch a ton of the SHL id guess.

Other than the WJC thats all I have had the opportunity to see him, is he a strong player at the pro level? Do you think he could be a number 4 shut down type?

He certainly has more puck skills than a Borowiecki, and shouldn't be rushed like Cowen if management learned their lesson. I think even for a defensive shutdown type he has pretty good puckskills and is a capable scorer. If Methot can be a top 4 D I don't see why Englund can't. Not sure when he plans on coming over but another year in the SHL wouldn't hurt.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

I have seen quite a bit of him watching the SHL.

I think for sure he could end up a shut-down #4-5 Dman... he has performed very well in the SHL vs men this season. Being his age and getting the ~17-18 mins a night he does on a pretty decent SHL team is nothing to sneer at. Especially when he quite often matches up vs the opponents top sixes.

If he reaches his potential he could be a modern day prototypical shut-down guy. Solid skating ability and a fair outlet pass combined with very good defensive tools, a physical side and IQ.

He knows his role and plays within his skill-set too... does not try and do anything fancy once he separates man from puck his go-to is getting that puck to the tape of team-mate forward quickly and effectively to help transition. I think that is a big thing for defensive defenseman... knowing your game and limits is key.

I imagine actually if he reaches his potential he would be playing a similar role in the NHL as he actually does right now on DIF.

He also played a couple of games for Sweden's mens team on the EHT this year... now he is not one of Sweden's best 6, or even ~10, defensemen in Europe, but it shows you that the National team think highly of him already.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He was a stand-out in the rookie tournament and in pre-season. Did an excellent job shadowing prospects like Marner. Sens wanted to keep him down in the A for longer but injuries and great play has given him an NHL look sooner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad