D Alexis Vanier - Baie-Comeau Drakkar, QMJHL (2014, 102nd overall, San Jose)

KAPOW

has no rispeck
Nov 12, 2008
at home
so...ein stumbled across this defenseman.

Height: 6'05" Weight: 224.

had just 8a in his first year, but seems to have made a huge jump and has 3g4a in 3 games so far.

dark horse for the draft? what are his weaknesses?

with this size i would assume it's skating but who knows, i haven't seen him so far.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
4GP-3G-5A-8P now.

Baie-Comeau has scored the most goals out of any QMJHL team thus far, but to Vanier's credit he's leading the team in scoring, and by a decent margin. He's also tied with Cam Darcy for the league lead in scoring.

A 17 year old 6'5, 225lbs defenseman has no business putting up those kind of numbers.

wasnt he eligible for this years draft?

Late birthday (December 21st, 1995) so he's eligible this year.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Vanier is a pretty good prospect.

His strength are he's big, strong, physical and he has mean streak. He hits hard and he's a good fighter.

Offensively, his shot is very good. A very hard slapshot and a very hard wrister. Has pretty good hands also. What he lacks offensively is better decision making.

Defensively, he's tough to play against because he's very strong and physical, and he also has a big reach because he's so tall. Needs to works a little bit on his positioning.

Overall, his size, strength, mean streak, physical playm and pretty good skills set make a very good potential. Needs to work on thing to go a little bit with hockey I.Q, like decision making, positioning, etc.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Vanier is a pretty good prospect.

His strength are he's big, strong, physical and he has mean streak. He hits hard and he's a good fighter.

Offensively, his shot is very good. A very hard slapshot and a very hard wrister. Has pretty good hands also. What he lacks offensively is better decision making.

Defensively, he's tough to play against because he's very strong and physical, and he also has a big reach because he's so tall. Needs to works a little bit on his positioning.

Overall, his size, strength, mean streak, physical playm and pretty good skills set make a very good potential. Needs to work on thing to go a little bit with hockey I.Q, like decision making, positioning, etc.

So, a lot like what we heard about Morin last year?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
There is a reason he was a 1st rounder in the Q even as a 17 yrs old. He's got everything going for him except skating which he can work on. Had a subpar rookie year but playing on such a great team didn't have the opportunity to shine really.

He had a very good training camp and Drakkar fans have told me they expect big things out of him this year. Keep in mind Baie-Comeau has a high-powered offense but no PP QB, therefore Vanier was the guy to be slotted there and he has done great thus far.

He will probably keep up a solid scoring pace if the Drakkar do not acquire an established veteran to man the PP (like a Dillon Fournier). I'm not sure exactly where he will go into the draft but one thing is for sure he is rocketing up the charts. As of right now I'd say late 2nd rounder, but look for him to make his way into the first round by November.

QMJHLguru

Dec 11, 2004
Halifax
Watched Vanier tonight, his size and physical play was noticeable. He plays a solid defensive game keeping his eyes on his man, looking to tie him up and gain control by using his size and strength in the defensive zone. Skating is above average, could use abit more speed but to able to stay with the play.

Can see him moving up the ranking if he continues at this pace through the season. A prospect differently worth keeping a eye on

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Alexis Vanier - 2014 D

Not seeing this guy anywhere other than FC mention - great pickup there.

He's huge, physical, has good skills, and seems to get it the way he moves as he's around the play.

He looks to be in consideration for late first round and early second currently. As for his draft position, I believe he rockets up in the first and becomes as coveted as McIlrath was.

For all his offensive production, he doesn't see the ice enough with some veterans ahead of him. He plays with a '97. If he's doing what he's doing under these circumstances ... we are seeing the rise of a potential monster defenseman.

Thoughts?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Not seeing this guy anywhere other than FC mention - great pickup there.

He's huge, physical, has good skills, and seems to get it the way he moves as he's around the play.

He looks to be in consideration for late first round and early second currently. As for his draft position, I believe he rockets up in the first and becomes as coveted as McIlrath was.

For all his offensive production, he doesn't see the ice enough with some veterans ahead of him. He plays with a '97. If he's doing what he's doing under these circumstances ... we are seeing the rise of a potential monster defenseman.

Thoughts?

Didn't that pick become a punch line for most people?

You can look at his size & production and pretty much guess his style :laugh: big body, likes throwing it around, has a big clapper, and needs a lot of work on his skating.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This guy is going to be a big riser in rankings/mock drafts as the draft gets closer and closer.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I was just looking through the largest guys in the draft this year and stumbled across this guy.

6'05", 225 lbs with 25 points in 28 games, 10 of which are goals and is actually considered a defensive defenseman, with a +13. I'm baffled. Those are better numbers than Ekblad at the moment. I know this is a question between the skill in the QMJHL and the skill in the OHL, but, man, how is this kid not higher in the draft?

I heard his weak spot is his skating, but that can be fixed with pro-caliber coaches. You can't teach size or an already developed power shot.

If the Flames got this kid in the second round I would cry tears of joy. I watched videos and he's exactly the kind of thing we're missing. I see this kid as the steal of the draft one day.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
How's he been doing ?

Don't know if it's the injury or Meloche's departure for the U17 but I find he's been turning the puck over lately. Baie-Comeau doesn't have a true QB on the blueline, so he might be trying to do a bit too much. BC also had its share of injuries.

That said, still has a booming shot from the blueline but has to play a simpler game with the puck in his own end and neutral zone.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Excerpt from War Room profile:

"Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Alexis Vanier:

- Le Monstre – 6’5, 224 lb. – A monster on the outside and an ogre on the inside when he wants to be – keep your head up!
- Overwhelming physical presence – Alexis just has that overwhelming physical presence at the back end – the man-child physique at 6’5, the overpowering shot, reminiscent of Sheldon Souray, the willingness to use the mitts, the willingness to be a little bit mean, the willingness to do the monster mash on his opponents. Yes, a physical presence, indeed!
- Improvements to make - Alexis should continue to work on his skating to finalize his preparation for the big leagues – a little more acceleration and a little more speed and, oh my, you have the complete package. Huge guys sometimes take a little longer to mature, Alexis, however, has come a long way this year.
- The injury – Wondering about the decline in production as the year progressed, well..."
Full profile available here

___

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad