D Aaron Haydon - Niagara IceDogs, OHL (2014 Draft, 154th overall, Dallas)

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Haydon-Aaron-1.jpg

Birthyear: 1996-02-02
Birthplace: Plymouth, MI
Position: D
Shoots: R
Height: 191 cm / 6'3"
Weight: 86 kg / 190 lbs

Ranked 28th among N.American Skaters by Central Scouting.
"Haydon is a big strong physical defenseman who skates very well for such a big guy and has some still developing offensive abilities coming along. He plays a gritty and tough game in his own zone and moves the puck quickly to his forwards. (November 2013)"

2013-2014 Stats (through 2/22)
GP: 54
G: 5
A: 10
Pt: 15
PIM: 94
+/-: -34

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Sounds like an interesting player.

He is big and physical, that's about it. He doesn't have much skill, I would say even below average in the OHL. But, a team will draft him too high because of his size. I think if all goes well he becomes a #6/7 in the NHL.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
"Haydon is playing for the Niagara Ice Dogs, the team with the second worst goals against in the OHL this season. So while a -29 plus/minus would generally be a concern for a stay-home, shut down type defender like himself, there is some understanding in this case.

Haydon is a big, strong, physical, defensive defenseman. And while his size allows him to play that physical role and throw his weight around, it also affords him a long reach. Effective at closing gaps, Haydon doesn’t give his opposition much space or time on the rush. Overall though, that talented defender excels when he keeps things simple and plays within himself. Still developing an offensive side of his game, he is at his best playing solid “d”, using his size and clearing out the net front.

But while Haydon displays great potential defensively, another attribute that stands out, especially to David Bell (Niagara Asst. Coach) is the big man’s mobility. There are not many defenders his size who are that mobile and that is something that surely benefits him as a defender.

He will join the rush if he sees an opportunity, and can unleash a big shot from the point but plays a tough, gritty game with a focus of securing his own zone. Haydon earned a spot (and almost an early exit due to a first period fight) in the CHL Top Prospects Game and has continued to display the defensive mindset and compete level scouts look for." - Pro Puck Prospects

Oct 30, 2011
So, is this a guy another Colton Teubert(I realize that Teubert was a better player at the junior level, but he never put it together at the pro level)? He seems like he has some tools, but hasn't quite put it all together.

Last edited:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
So, is this a guy another Colton Teubert(I realize that Teubert was a better player at the junior level, but he never put it together at the pro level)? He seems like he has some tools, but hasn't quite put it all together.

If you can draft a Colton Teubert with a 3rd round pick, it would be worth the investment.

Ace88*

Yeah i easily take siebenaler before haydon. Haydon was better until november but then siebenaler really came on. siebenaler's followed a real upward trend since then. Haydon just kind of....never improved. At all.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Hate to continue the criticism, but i've said for months, this guy is a slow thinker, reads the game so slowly and has a slow reaction time. And every single time i've watched him, he is a sure bet to be the cause for a goal against. Easy to beat on the outside and gets walked around far too easily for such a big man.

Yes, I agree Siebenaler is an easy choice for me over Haydon. TBH, i don't think i'd pick him in any round. Might be in the minority with that thought though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad