GDT: Czechs vs Swiss (U18)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Swiss took us out of Olympics with a nice match. Let's see if they wreck us here too!

50-50 matchup IMO. Czechs are fueled by 4 players (Hamara, Sapovaliv, Kulich and Sale) and a very good PP. I'm assuming Swiss coaches will do everything they can for favorable matchups and to stay out of the box.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Swiss took us out of Olympics with a nice match. Let's see if they wreck us here too!

50-50 matchup IMO. Czechs are fueled by 4 players (Hamara, Sapovaliv, Kulich and Sale) and a very good PP. I'm assuming Swiss coaches will do everything they can for favorable matchups and to stay out of the box.
We need success in any category. Friends from Switzerland will forgive, but the Czechs must win. 4: 2;)

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
We need success in any category. Friends from Switzerland will forgive, but the Czechs must win. 4: 2;)
Exactly... Some semifinal appearances anywhere! I think either 5-0 and the big boys keep scoring or a 2-1 shootout loss

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

This is just false. Czechs are the favorites and losing against Switzerland in such crucial game would be a massive fail.

Then again, if there's a team that can pull off a random meltdown against inferior team, it's the Czech team.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This is just false. Czechs are the favorites and losing against Switzerland in such crucial game would be a massive fail.

Then again, if there's a team that can pull off a random meltdown against inferior team, it's the Czech team.
IMO means in my opinion. So it can't be false. Eg. Your opinion is different than mine. I don't think it's false.

Your second paragraph sums up exactly why that is my opinion. We have a decade long history of winning a big game and then losing the next one. You routinely log in to remind us of this.

We took the states to OT last year at this tourney and were seconds away from beating Finland. Then got demolished in Quarters 10-3 I think.

At Olympics we beat Russia and got eliminated by the Swiss.

Most world Juniors we beat a big nation and then fail.in quarters. I can think of some great wins over Russia recently.

We have one medal here since 2014 to my knowledge. Zero medals at U20 in 15 years or so. No medals at senior world's in a decade. Forgive me if I don't consider us big favorites in any quarter final matchup.

Even in this tourney.. we outshot Germany 30-1 in first period and it was tied. That was 5 days ago.

The university youth games (sorry can't remember the name) had a similar roster and we lost to everyone but Latvia and finished 4th out of 5 I believe. No kulich or sapo but did have Petr, Sale, slavicek, hamara and spunar.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
IMO means in my opinion. So it can't be false. Eg. Your opinion is different than mine. I don't think it's false.

Your second paragraph sums up exactly why that is my opinion. We have a decade long history of winning a big game and then losing the next one. You routinely log in to remind us of this.

We took the states to OT last year at this tourney and were seconds away from beating Finland. Then got demolished in Quarters 10-3 I think.

At Olympics we beat Russia and got eliminated by the Swiss.

Most world Juniors we beat a big nation and then fail.in quarters. I can think of some great wins over Russia recently.

We have one medal here since 2014 to my knowledge. Zero medals at U20 in 15 years or so. No medals at senior world's in a decade. Forgive me if I don't consider us big favorites in any quarter final matchup.

Even in this tourney.. we outshot Germany 30-1 in first period and it was tied. That was 5 days ago.

The university youth games (sorry can't remember the name) had a similar roster and we lost to everyone but Latvia and finished 4th out of 5 I believe. No kulich or sapo but did have Petr, Sale, slavicek, hamara and spunar.
Czech and Swiss '04 generations have met 11x times since the U16 category. 8 wins, 1 OTW, 1OTL and 1 loss. Swiss got outscored 14:46 in total in those games. Tell me again how there is no favorite in this game.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Czechia is a huge favorite, Switzerland is not very good. Requires a massive meltdown by Czechia if Switzerland is to win.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I agree that we cannot hide behind the words that this is a paper match. In the youth categories, and this also applies to year 04, we have a much more favorable mutual balance. If we do not advance, it will be a fiasco in my view.

Reactions: Wooren

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czech and Swiss '04 generations have met 11x times since the U16 category. 8 wins, 1 OTW, 1OTL and 1 loss. Swiss got outscored 14:46 in total in those games. Tell me again how there is no favorite in this game.
I hope you're right.

When I look at the last decade.. .there have been roughly 40 quarters between Hlinka, U20, U18, World's and Olympics...

If we have won 10 quarters out of those 40 then I'd be surprised. I can also think of a lot of meltdowns and matches we lost as favs in that time. Pretty sure that's why you call our hockey unwatchable.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Zero questions about lineup.. looking forward to seeing Rymon. Still mad about Petr.

We are a 4 headed monster with a great PP. I can't remember the shot total in US lost but around 50 to 60 shots against Germans and Canada.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czech TV with a Petr update.. he's in a cast and his season is over. That sucks!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kulich broke some ankles early

Sokop with a beauty and Plos (my fav 4th liner) with another point.. something about Plos.

Some 5 on 5 secondary scoring!

Reactions: Hemsky001

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Landshut is 2 hours from border ... there might be 100 people in stands. Surprised more Czechs didn't make the trip.

Swiss PP coming up.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
POST for Kulich who is looking like a first rounder and not a second rounder!

Hamara with point shot and maybe tipped... 2-0... that Powerplay was insane! Sale just keeps teeing up Kulich. Not sure if Sapo got it? Looks like he did. He's really grown on me... Somewhere between Plekanec and Faksa.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Goalie swtich 10 minutes in.. I don't blame the original goalie and assume that was for momentum. He faced a lot of quality shots in 10 minutes.

3-0 after 10 minutes... nightmare start for Swiss.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
This czech team completely deviates from the standard czech teams. Our players shoot, shoot hard, do not hit the goalkeeper or the first player with their shots. And our players have individual skills. I'm amazed
Ikona Ověřeno komunitou

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This game is probably over... 15 minutes in. More secondary scoring .. Swiss own goal after a poor glove save.

4-0.. don't think Swiss have a shot on net.

Hoping for no Czech injuries at this point. Cheering for Canada so we can avoid States in quarters.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
As expected. It is a shame that Latvia somehow lost vs this Switzerland team, as that made Finland have to play vs Canada instead of Sweden.

As for this game, 10-0 might be possible.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The first 18 minutes were absolute perfection!

One of the best periods of Czech hockey I've seen at any level in a decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad