GDT: Czechs vs Austria

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
What are the chances Austria actually wins against Latvia, Norway and GB? Czechs are still far and away the favorites to clinch the PO spot.
That's the big question honestly. How does our game translate to the weaker teams in the tournament? I am however confident. The style of hockey they play works against most teams. They are faster than they have been, Bader has the right vision for his team. Young, hungry and athletic players who can skate, check and will score against weaker opposition. Goalies are in form as well and the older players buy into this philosophy (Starkbaum, Ganahl, Heinrich...). Can't wait to watch those games. The team is on fire now and full of confidence.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Finnish PP will seal the game, no worries. LOL...... too bad for Czech. Doesn't look good for Jalonen but getting david pastrnak will make a huge difference IMHO. Nice win for the underdog today.
In any case, Finland has been warned. You know it won't be a sure-fire success.

Reactions: illone84

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
This team completely collapsed in their heads, they should be glad they won against GB and (probably) won't be relegated. The best comparison I have in mind is the 1996 World Cup. Back then, a star team with Jágr and co. lost 1-7 to Germany. Today it was looking very similar to that game. Hertl, Vrána: They are looking like if they really don't want to be there. Why the hell then they accepted the invitation?
For next years they should simply consider inviting no NHL-ers for the WCH. The chemistry between them and the European players doesn't work at all. Of course I can't see it their dressing room but I think it is pretty apparent this team is in ruins. And, this has barely anything to do with coaching. It is about the players.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Extraliga players defeated this Austria team before WC too. Just pathetic.

Luckily there's still many games to go for the Czech team to get ready for the games that matter. It's sometimes good to face adversity during these games, so they won't happen in the more important games. It's not good however for the Czechs to be getting closer to a situation where they would have to play against Switzerland or Canada in the game of death.

Since the Czech's already lost to Sweden, Czechs should hope that Finland loses tomorrow against Sweden so they have a chance to knock Finland down to #3 or #4 seed when Finland and Czech will meet on the last day of the group games.

I as a Finnish person think that this result won't change anything. Czech is still one of the strong gold favorites. I'm afraid what's to come when Pastrnak joins and Czechs get things rolling.

Reactions: Czechboy

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
While the czechs played like it was a pre-tourney game i have to give credit to the Austria. They managed have managed to play a very tight style of hockey that's a real pain in the ass to play against and have managed to steal points in games that on paper should have been a +3 goal blowout.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think that we have to start betting money for Austria's wins or draws (OT) now lol.

This is pretty impressive what they have done so far against 3 top teams:

AUT 1-3 SWE
AUT 1-2 (OT) - USA
AUT 2-1 (SO) - CZE

Based on that it won't be easy for Finland either. Against Norway and GBR Austria should be the big favorite. Against Latvia it might be another OT game?

First win for Austria vs. Cze in Senior hockey ever.

This is good for ice hockey if Austria can slowly become like Germany and Switzerland. I know that Austrian ice hockey league which is shared with some other countries isn't a bad league. Austria has a history as a strong winter sport nation so they should try to get there with ice hockey as well.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I was quite surprised that Arno Del Curto joined the austrian coaching staff and I am happy for the austrians that this seems to work out. I still think that the czechs will make the QF and will be an unpleasant opponent though

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
According to M. Horák, a well-acquainted journalist, Hronek and Simon were supposed to fight in the cabin.
For me, I understand that I understand today's performance. The players had it in their p***y. I wouldn't expect any big improvement in this tournament.
Sadly, in every tournament, we trip our feet and then we're embarrassed. God, where are the times when Czech teams were really cohesive and played at the level of their abilities. Instead, we see a mentally divided team that obviously doesn't care that we play as the biggest losers.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
According to M. Horák, a well-acquainted journalist, Hronek and Simon were supposed to fight in the cabin.
For me, I understand that I understand today's performance. The players had it in their p***y. I wouldn't expect any big improvement in this tournament.
Sadly, in every tournament, we trip our feet and then we're embarrassed. God, where are the times when Czech teams were really cohesive and played at the level of their abilities. Instead, we see a mentally divided team that obviously doesn't care that we play as the biggest losers.
That really destroys the team spirit

member 305909

They are in real trouble now. They may have to beat Finland in the last game or they're out.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice

According to Robert Záruba, not nice things happened connected to certain intimate topics (presumably) for Simon. If the players are arguing to the point they are using this level of personal invectives, then the team is completely done. It is really like the 96 World Cup, the same s***t, the same fate.

Reactions: Goodman68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad