GDT: Czechs vs Austria

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I was thinking that too. Against Latvia and Norway they are not supposed to defend only... But we will see.

I want all of the 4 top teams of group B advancing so one of Canada or Switzerland won't get easier path to the medal games, but at the same time upsets are good for ice hockey so what ever goes I guess lol.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I think that we have to start betting money for Austria's wins or draws (OT) now lol.

This is pretty impressive what they have done so far against 3 top teams:

AUT 1-3 SWE
AUT 1-2 (OT) - USA
AUT 2-1 (SO) - CZE

Based on that it won't be easy for Finland either. Against Norway and GBR Austria should be the big favorite. Against Latvia it might be another OT game?

This is good for ice hockey if Austria can slowly become like Germany and Switzerland. I know that Austrian ice hockey league which is shared with some other countries isn't a bad league. Austria has a history as a strong winter sport nation so they should try to get there with ice hockey as well.
For 25 years guys like this pop up out of nowhere after every single goddamn upset.

Austria is the 7th best team in the group. Before and after this game. They are highly unlikely to make the play-offs. Before and after this game.

The Czechs losing points makes their next match up against Latvia much more important, as Latvia can realistically push them out of the play-offs (with the probability of that still being below 20%).

Reactions: Czechboy

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
I think that we have to start betting money for Austria's wins or draws (OT) now lol.

This is pretty impressive what they have done so far against 3 top teams:

AUT 1-3 SWE
AUT 1-2 (OT) - USA
AUT 2-1 (SO) - CZE

Based on that it won't be easy for Finland either. Against Norway and GBR Austria should be the big favorite. Against Latvia it might be another OT game?

This is good for ice hockey if Austria can slowly become like Germany and Switzerland. I know that Austrian ice hockey league which is shared with some other countries isn't a bad league. Austria has a history as a strong winter sport nation so they should try to get there with ice hockey as well.
Wait five or six years, according to some people, Austria will eventually have a very promising young group of players, it will no longer be just Rossi and Kasper.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I watched the game and Austria battled for every inch of ice. It still should have been a Czech 1-0 win when the Czechs decided to stand around in their own zone and protect the house. The Austrians had not even taken the goaltender but were allowed to have full control of the puck. A team like Austria has limited offensive skill yet the Czechs allowed them all the time on the world to move the puck and move it they did. They got the goalie out, got a good one time blast from Heinrich and crashed the net. Any little amount of coordinated pressure and the Czechs likely clear the puck and win.. They deserved everything they got.

They better hope Pasta has brought his dancing shoes.. Kampf will help win faceoffs and provide some energy. Does not look like a winning horse to me.

Reactions: Czechboy

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
I was thinking that too. Against Latvia and Norway they are not supposed to defend only... But we will see.
I do not think they only defended in this game. They did not dominate but were far away drom turtling it up. This is a very different team than former teams. It is built on speed an athleticism with a relentless will to compete. That will to compete has been absent so so many times in the past when more experienced players just couldn't be bothered to give 100% every shift.

Considering this fact I am actually looking forward to the games against the weaker opposition (than the top nations). The game they play could translate very well to that kind of opponent.

Just to put this win into perspective: this is only the second time in 75 years Austria won against a top nation (other being against USA in 2001) on senior tournament level.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I do not think they only defended in this game. They did not dominate but were far away drom turtling it up. This is a very different team than former teams. It is built on speed an athleticism with a relentless will to compete. That will to compete has been absent so so many times in the past when more experienced players just couldn't be bothered to give 100% every shift.

Considering this fact I am actually looking forward to the games against the weaker opposition (than the top nations). The game they play could translate very well to that kind of opponent.

Just to put this win into perspective: this is only the second time in 75 years Austria won against a top nation (other being against USA in 2001) on senior tournament level.
Hopefully more to come.

They do have 4 matches left against 'non top nations' and let's see how they do. Eg. at something like the World Jr's the Czechs are whipping boys and get smoked by Big 5... we usually beat 1 of them and everyone thinks 'we're back' then we lose every game after that.lol Hoping Austria can stick with it and get to quarters!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad