Czechs in North America

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Note to mods: Please don't move this to Central Europe.. no Czech poster looks there.

Here are the rookie camp invites. We have a lot of Czechs trying out which is great. I'm guessing not many crack the NHL this year though from this group:

I could see Galvas and Blumel getting 60 or more NHL games this season.

Kulich and Jiricek might get a 'cup of coffee' in the NHL this season

I keep rooting for Lauko to crack the lineup so we'll see how he does... 40 games, maybe?

Raska has a nice bottom 6 game so maybe he makes it this season for a few more games.

The rest feel a year away (Mysak, Teply, Kral, Has, Svozil) or never.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
To be revisited in a month or so.

Last season the Czechs had 17 players play 50 or more games:

1663437223238.png

Only one gone from this list is Dominik Simon. Not too many grey beards at all and most these guys are not UFA (Pasta is but I think he'll stick in the NHL)

Here are the rest of the Czechs from last year... Few guys who should see more games are Vrana (injured last year), Zboril (shiney new 1 way contract), Hajek (shockingly, 1 way contract too), Reichel has some jam, Simek was injured (feel like he's due to be traded and get more opportunity) Kempny (1 way and cheap contract for Seattle), Jenik is in a show me year for sure, Kaut is near bust territory, Zohorna is now on a 1 way contract (I think), Galvas is due for a full year IMO, Frk got another contract which surprised me.

1663437288294.png

Only one gone from NHL is Jaskin, Sustr on a 2 way.

Offseason signing include Blumel, Knot, Klok.

High draft picks include Kulich and Jiricek.

I think we should be near 25 guys playing 50 or more games this season. Lauko might be close too (same situation is Kaut and Jenik really).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So 31 forwards and D with 5 games or more... here were last years goalies:

1663437654768.png

Vejmelka should be similar. Vanecek should be near 50. Vladar SHOULD go up (not becuae of my bias but because playin Markstrom every night is stuipd and it showed against Edmonton), Francouz was injured and should be near 30 this year as his competition is Georgiev), if Mrazek stays healthy he should be near 40 games easily. Dostal is definitely due for more games.

Korenar is gone from NHL.. hope he resurfaces on national team.

Rittich is still in the NHL (put him in Frk and Hajek territory).

Skarek and Patera might get a game or 2 as well.

So I'm guessing 9 Czech goalies see the NHL this season with 5 of them playing 25 or more games. Bold for sure, let's see how it plays out.

Most likely guy in this group to take off is Vanecek, Francouz and Dostal (who is currently blocked by a very good Gibson).

Reactions: smitty10

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Last one for now.. let's see how it plays our but we had 39 Czechs play at least 2 games last season (which I think is more than our contempariries in Denmark, Germany, Slovakia, Switzerland combined).

I think we hit 45 Czechs suit up for at least 1 game. 25 being regulars and key players somewhere in lineup.

Add in a nice run of quarter final victories at Hlinka, U18, U20 and World's this year and things are either improving a little for us or we are benefitting from a very good hockey nation not playing. Could be both!

My big dreams is that 3 goalies take off and become starters.. Vejmelka, Franouz, Mrazek and Vanecek are the most likely to do that.

And I hope we can ice 6 D that play 70 games or more (3 last season so this is very optimistic)... most likely being Hronek, Gudas, Rutta, Zboril, Kempny and Galvas.

Kral should be damn close but he's on a very good Leafs team with a beauty D core. Tough sledding.

Some others not mentioned by me... Has in Washington, Teply in Chicago, Raska in SJ, Mysak in Montreal (especially if season goes how it looks to be going) and I'd love to see one of our giants get a game.. Klapka or Kondelik!

Reactions: smitty10

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

That is 4 goals in 2 games if I have this right!!! Keep it up Matej! My fav NHL team Oilers REALLY f***ed up!

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I was surprised to see this? I wasn't a huge fan but he did get us a bronze by hiring the right coach and he did get a lot of our top guys to come to the World's so credit for that!

Given our new president, I assume Michal Barinka is replacement.lmao

• Haha

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Kral vs Hamara!

I will go out on a limb and say both are on our 2028 World Cup team as featured pros! Kral is going back to Kitchener but I'm really hoping Kral can get some NHL looks this season... Sandin unsigned and Lijegrin injured might open a small crack for him! 10 to 20 percent chance.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Kral vs Hamara!

I will go out on a limb and say both are on our 2028 World Cup team as featured pros! Kral is going back to Kitchener but I'm really hoping Kral can get some NHL looks this season... Sandin unsigned and Lijegrin injured might open a small crack for him! 10 to 20 percent chance.

nevermind.. Hamara got scratched.lol

I will say I think Detroit and Ottawa are my dark horse candidates for very improved seasons and playoffs. However, Leafs have Kral and Kampf playing right now so go Leafs go.haha

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Our new GMs are havlat and zidlicky Two guys with limited management experience but they played in the NHL so all is good.lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kulich and Rousek to the AHL. Extraliga is great at filling AHL rosters. I think both have a chance (in very different roles) to make it back to the NHL. Kulich for a decade or more and Rousek for a few seasons as a bottom 6 type guy. So far preseason is death for fringe Czechs.lol Not many surprises incoming so far... hoping for Kaut, Sedlak, Zboril, Zohorna, Reichel, Klapka and such to sneak in the lineups!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Here is who is left today:

Highlight means I think they are going to be cut soon (I hope I'm wrong.lol):

1664724083428.png

1664724142076.png

1664724178826.png

edit.. missed Hamara who is doing very well in the CHL already

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Kulich and Rousek to the AHL. Extraliga is great at filling AHL rosters. I think both have a chance (in very different roles) to make it back to the NHL. Kulich for a decade or more and Rousek for a few seasons as a bottom 6 type guy. So far preseason is death for fringe Czechs.lol Not many surprises incoming so far... hoping for Kaut, Sedlak, Zboril, Zohorna, Reichel, Klapka and such to sneak in the lineups!
Zboril will make the B's 100%.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Part of me thinks it sucks Zohorna is on waivers.

Part of me things he is an NHL player and this could be a nice break for the big man!

I'll be following this one closely.lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I mean… We all KNEW IT WOULD COME…

Yet… It’s still weird to even think of it.

If so I am glad that his last memorable deed as an active player was that charity game for refugees with Sparta.
At least a few more seasons.haha

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hajek will probably move up one slot from last season. Last season he was 8D. This season 7D is likely. 6D could happen, but unlikely as of now.

I guess that’s a slight improvement for him. He’ll probably get some games. He hasn’t played bad in preseason, but regular season is much more difficult.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Hajek will probably move up one slot from last season. Last season he was 8D. This season 7D is likely. 6D could happen, but unlikely as of now.

I guess that’s a slight improvement for him. He’ll probably get some games. He hasn’t played bad in preseason, but regular season is much more difficult.
I was truly shocked he got a 1 way contract. We need him so hopefully he gets in a lot of games on a very good team.

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
Think Kaut looks like he is staying with the Avs. Sedlak too, but with Kaut I think the future is brighter (with Sedlak, we have already seen his ceiling and he's basically a serviceable fourthliner).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Think Kaut looks like he is staying with the Avs. Sedlak too, but with Kaut I think the future is brighter (with Sedlak, we have already seen his ceiling and he's basically a serviceable fourthliner).
hope so! Kaut has looked good. He's my fav from that group of Zadina, Necas and Chytil - yet he's had the least success. Maybe this is the year. Agree, Sedlak is more a warm body in NHL - damn good in KHL though. Classic tweener. Kaut is more like boom or bust.

Reactions: 24 others

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad