Czechs cost themselves a chance at a gold medal

Status
Not open for further replies.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I am extremely confused... why didn't they use Vokoun when Hasek got injured? Everyone raved so much about how good the Czech's goaltending was with Hasek and Vokoun, yet they somehow couldn't rely on Vokoun? In the bronze medal game today, Vokoun played OUTSTANDING. I don't see how you can't use one of the best goalies in the NHL. Very stupid desicion making. Discuss.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
clay said:
I am extremely confused... why didn't they use Vokoun when Hasek got injured? Everyone raved so much about how good the Czech's goaltending was with Hasek and Vokoun, yet they somehow couldn't rely on Vokoun? I don't see how you can't use one of the best goalies in the NHL. Very stupid desicion making. Discuss.

Vokoun played badly in relief of Hasek, Hnilicka came in for Vokoun and played very well, so the Czechs went with the hot goaltender. Hindsight is 20/20 as usual, but it's not like they went way off the map with their decision.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
clay said:
I am extremely confused... why didn't they use Vokoun when Hasek got injured? Everyone raved so much about how good the Czech's goaltending was with Hasek and Vokoun, yet they somehow couldn't rely on Vokoun? In the bronze medal game today, Vokoun played OUTSTANDING. I don't see how you can't use one of the best goalies in the NHL. Very stupid desicion making. Discuss.

They originally did go to Vokoun after Hasek got hurt, and he didn't play well.

Got outplayed by Niittymaki in a loss to the Finns.
Gave up 3 goals on 19 shots and outplayed by Aebischer in a loss to the Swiss.
Gave up 3 goals on 8 shots, and was brutal before being pulled in a loss to Canada.

Vokoun was solid against Germany and Italy.

Hnilicka was perfect against Canada after replacing Vokoun.
Hnilicka was excellent in beating the Slovaks in the quarters.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
What puzzled me most was this: If Vokoun is the goalie you want to go with, and the Canada game meant little to either team, why not rest Vokoun against Canada with the QF the next day? Once they started Vokoun and he gave up three goals in one period (two really bad goals, not "Hasek would've saved those", but rather "this guy is lost out there, my grandmother wouldn't have let those in"), I think they had to pull him. Since Hnilicka played well the rest of the game (0 goals in two periods), it made sense to start him against Slovakia. He played well against Slovakia, so made sense to start him against Sweden. He did give up at least a couple questionable goals against Sweden, but I wouldn't say he was the main reason they lost the game. The fact was, Czech defense wasn't very good, and Czechs just were outphysicalled by Sweden, who aren't a bunch of goons, but rather big, fast, skilled players. Sweden played like everyone dreamed Canada would. Czechs couldn't force them off the puck or move them from in front of the net, and the Swedes made the most of their opportunities.

As far as the Finland game, once Jagr went down, the whole complexion of the game changed, and I don't remember Vokoun playing that poorly. I think Sweden deserved the Gold (given the tournament format), although I think the Czechs could have competed very well with Finland in a rematch for Silver (they were even or better with them until Jagr was hurt).

Last edited:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I think something that should have been done, in hindsite...

Hnilicka should have played the Italy game OR the meaningless Canada game.

Vokoun should have played vs Sweden. Exhaustion had to have been a factor, especially on a mental level. After the shaky start, I would have liked to have seen Vokoun get a chance to collect himself and THEN see what he could do...which is eventually what happened anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad