GDT: Czech Republic/Czechia/El Chechiorono vs U.S.A. @7:30pm PT/ 10:30pm ET/ 4:30am CEST

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
"Sat back" in the 2022 context, yes. But classic 2005 "sat back" is different. They didn't start playing that cautiously until the third.

If you insist on a painful level of being pedantic, which seems to be the case, then I am clearly referring to the period before 2005 when the Czechs were most successful. And yes, they sat back and yes, it started in the second when they played the last ~8 minutes or so with barely a chance registered or ventured against the USA. That is how the Czechs often played in their golden era, which for the sake of being pedantic is before 2005, when sitting on a lead and scoring on the counter attack were key pieces of the Czech gameplan that worked so well. That is what worked in this game starting in the second when the Czechs had 2 shots in the nearly half a period following the third goal and usually just chased down the puck and them dumped it in the American end.

They allowed 4 USA shots in the 2nd. There is sitting back and then there is sucking the life out of the game. It's not the same.

They are not mutually exclusive. I referred to it that way numerous times in the thread and that is how the Czechs played in the period that I referenced.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I expect Canada to win for a couple reasons :

1) We're the better / more talented team;
2) The Czechs will be "exhausted" (not the right word but I can't think of a better word at 2 in the morning) after over achieving to beat a Top 4 team.

Having said that, I expect it to be close and the Czechs could win.

No matter what, it's been a heck of a tournament. I am so glad they played it.
I think Canada win 7-2.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
thats not how it works...:huh:

A wolf that is scared of humans is not dangerous (Czech getting beat up by Canada)

if that wolf later on takes down a human and finds it enjoys its taste? well that is dangerous.(Czechs beating the U.S)

I think the Canadians will feel like they are playing an entirely different team then before.
I think it is how it works. That analogy is just ridiculous. Czech republic was lucky the last game at 5-1.

Canada is a tier or two ahead. Anything can happen is sports but Canada should win pretty easily. Just a much better team on paper & in practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: behemolari

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
The Czechs played scared vs Canada last game. No fear tonight. I think they'll play fearless again.

That is the second bad analogy. How many times do mediocre teams win a game they shouldn't have and go on to being mediocre again? A lot more often then them jumping to a new level.

USA played bad & Czechia played well. It happens. Don't make it into something more than that.

Kopitar11

Oct 16, 2016
Sweden
Such a nice win for the proud men of Czechia. They played their game very well and that D-Line is actually very good. Big game by Kulich that once again proves that he should've been drafted higher.
I hope that a player like that doesnt get wasted in Buffalo. I really like the way Czechia is playing.
They had no respect for the USA and it helped them alot.
Great game by Jiricek also, but its kinda annoying to see him get these brutal checks all the time.
You could see it last tournament when he blew his knee and we seen it this tournament.
Suspend players like Berard, im all about tough hockey and nice and clean checks but that was just unnessesary by Berard.

Happy for them, i hope they can play the same against Canada and go in there without respect and give them a great game. Bye bye americans

Reactions: behemolari

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How many millions of dollars is spent on the NDTP to "develop" highly skilled, undisciplined individuals incapable of getting past Czechia in the quarterfinals?
So they lost a game to a good team. Do you really think that it was a guaranteed win, and that they didn’t try?

I don't think we should judge players playing in their draft year tournament so harshly. Same goes for Jiricek and ... Kulich. Who else is even from this draft?

Edit: Lekkerimaki, Kemell, and Lambert are the other three 1st rounders.
Ohgren

Last edited by a moderator:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Certainly didn't expect the US to lose. Congrats to Czechia.
Looking forward to Canada/Czechia.

If they beat us playing the way they did against the US, I'll definitely cheer for them to win it all.

Canada will have to play a lot better than they did against Switzerland to beat Czechia.

Reactions: jfhabs and jj cale

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Does Edmonton turn into Florida in the summer? Lol. I would think there'd be absolutely nothing to do in Edmonton but watch a hockey game if it's available.
It’s still a big city, do you really think there’s zero entertainment options in a city that big?

Also as Canadians we get like ~50 days of the year of nice hot sunny weather… I know for me that the last place I want to be at is a rink as summer is coming to an end and 6 months of depression season are on the horizon. Especially at those prices.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
The post right above yours had someone saying the Canadians should be able to "Cruise" past the Czech. I found it funny.:thumbu:

If you are talking about my post I said if the Canadians showed up with a solid effort. I don't think that is a disrespectful post or anything close to thinking it will be easy just a valid statement about each teams quality.

Reactions: Xirik

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
How many millions of dollars is spent on the NDTP to "develop" highly skilled, undisciplined individuals incapable of getting past Czechia in the quarterfinals?
Do you realize that the best NDTP players opted out of this tournament?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
That is the second bad analogy. How many times do mediocre teams win a game they shouldn't have and go on to being mediocre again? A lot more often then them jumping to a new level.

USA played bad & Czechia played well. It happens. Don't make it into something more than that.
Once again way too much "one man" hockey versus the cohesive style that has made a country like Finland so successful in these tournaments despite rosters that may not be loaded with first round talent.

Canada often has the same issues.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Certainly didn't expect the US to lose. Congrats to Czechia.
Looking forward to Canada/Czechia.

If they beat us playing the way they did against the US, I'll definitely cheer for them to win it all.

Canada will have to play a lot better than they did against Switzerland to beat Czechia.
Yes, much better. Not our best game, too many players trying to be fancy or do it all themselves.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Teenagers playing single elimination games leads to inevitable upsets. It’s what makes the tournament fun. That doesn’t mean the US program isn’t working. In fact it seems very successful.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Once again way too much "one man" hockey versus the cohesive style that has made a country like Finland so successful in these tournaments despite rosters that may not be loaded with first round talent.

Canada often has the same issues.
WTF are you talking about.

They play each other 10 times USA wins 8. Shit happens.

USA was just fine in their first four games.

Canada has also put together some of the most cohesive "Teams" in international hockey. Nothing the Finns have ever done will compare to the Sochi team that gave up 4 goals in 6 games with superstars buying in to team defence and playing rolls as required by the team.

Guess how many times the USA and Canada have medaled at the WJC since Czechia has? They are both generally talented, well coached and cohesive teams. Winning at this level is hard.

Your narrative is BS.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
If I’m New Jersey Devils I do whatever I can to make sure that USA coaching staff never works another tournament for how they used an injured Luke Hughes
Utter negligence afaic.

In that situation, you put your arm around the player and tell him the truth.

"I know you'd gut it out for us, but I'm sitting you down for the good of the team and your own future."

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
WTF are you talking about.

They play each other 10 times USA wins 8. Shit happens.

USA was just fine in their first four games.

Canada has also put together some of the most cohesive "Teams" in international hockey. Nothing the Finns have ever done will compare to the Sochi team that gave up 4 goals in 6 games with superstars buying in to team defence and playing rolls as required by the team.

Guess how many times the USA and Canada have medaled at the WJC since Czechia has? They are both generally talented, well coached and cohesive teams. Winning at this level is hard.

Your narrative is BS.
If this was a one off you'd have a point.

Going back to the days of Jack Eichel the USA U20 teams have often underperformed against teams that had inferior lineups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad