WJC: Czech Republic at the 2011 WJC

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Czechs have the potential to upset imo, would have helped if they has Mrzak and Polasek which imo would have put them over Sweden but now they're gonna have to work that much harder.

petr86

Oct 9, 2010
Praha
Czechs have the potential to upset imo, would have helped if they has Mrzak and Polasek which imo would have put them over Sweden but now they're gonna have to work that much harder.

:clap: :laugh:

His name is Mrazek, not Mrzak. Mrzak is "Cripple" in czech :)

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

Sweden has a much better roster, even if the Czechs had Polasek and the apparent cripple.

At Defense, Sweden is vastly superior. They have a 1st round, a 2nd round pick, a potential #1 overall pick and a potential 1st round pick combined with players who have good exposure in the SEL. The Czechs meanwhile outside of Musil have no players on D with any real NHL potential.

At Forward, Sweden as a plethora of NHL picks with NHL upside. I'd say only 3 or 4 of the Czech Forwards would have a shot at making the Swedish team. The Czech Forward group is pretty poor ; it has one Top 60 pick in Straka who has had a bad year.
Sweden also IMO has the deepest pool of Goaltenders at this tourney.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

The Czechs have the ability to upset Sweden, but they would lose 9 out of 10 games against them. Even though they are missing Jaskin, Mrazek and Polasek, they are a solid team, but even with those guys they aren't as good as Sweden.

I think the Czechs could finish 4th if they have a good tournament.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Czech team won first exhibition game against USA:
USA-CZE 2-3 SO

Goals scored Straka and Planek and the shootout winner scored Orsava. I didn´t see the game, but SoG were 34-33.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I was wondering which players on the Czech team may have a future in the NHL, or have already played in the NHL. I was playing pick up hockey at ESL, and the Czechs and Germans practice a few rinks over; I even saw a few players playing soccer before practice. If anyone knows their numbers, too, the would be cool.

PS...Those guys are huge for their age. I wish I could've watched them practice, but the Pick Up game last and hour and a half...which is just as long as their practice, apparently.

mhiggins27

Nov 23, 2009
Halifax, NS
www.twitter.com
I was wondering which players on the Czech team may have a future in the NHL, or have already played in the NHL. I was playing pick up hockey at ESL, and the Czechs and Germans practice a few rinks over; I even saw a few players playing soccer before practice. If anyone knows their numbers, too, the would be cool.

PS...Those guys are huge for their age. I wish I could've watched them practice, but the Pick Up game last and hour and a half...which is just as long as their practice, apparently.

I don't know much about the other Czech players, but I do know a lot about Martin Frk, and he definitely has a future in the NHL. When you see him play he looks a lot like Ovechkin out there, just with the style he plays. He has a lethal shot, but he needs to use it more. Being from Halifax, I get to see him play a lot with the Mooseheads, and he's simply amazing to watch. He's currently the favorite to win top rookie in the QMJHL, as he leads the Mooseheads in scoring.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I don't know much about the other Czech players, but I do know a lot about Martin Frk, and he definitely has a future in the NHL. When you see him play he looks a lot like Ovechkin out there, just with the style he plays. He has a lethal shot, but he needs to use it more. Being from Halifax, I get to see him play a lot with the Mooseheads, and he's simply amazing to watch. He's currently the favorite to win top rookie in the QMJHL, as he leads the Mooseheads in scoring.

The top two rookie scorers in the Q are Czechs.;)

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

Some Czech players who have possible NHL futures include Martin Frk, David Musil, Marek Hrbas, Dmitrij Jaskin who are all draft eligible for 2011 or 2012, Adam Polasek (Canucks, 2010), Petr Mrazek (Detroit, 2010), Petr Straka (Columbus, 2010), Jakub Culek (Ottawa, 2010), Roman Horak (NYR, 2009), Andrej Nestrasil (Detroit, 2009), while Ondrej Palat and Tomas Filippi are both undrafted and among the top scorers in the QMJHL.

Unfortunately Jaskin is injured and Mrazek and Polasek are both banned by the Czech hockey federation from playing in the tournament. The rest of them will be in the WJC.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
2nd exhibiton final score

CZE-GER 4-3 (Frk, Holík, R.Horák, Nestrašil-Brandl, Kühnhackl, Rieder)

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Tomas Filippi was cut from the team after the game.

Hrbas, Musil, Zacpalek, Filippi and Heřman. wow, couldn't be more unexpected. All 3 goalies stay with the team but 1 of them won't be on the official roster. Maybe Musil really wasn't that ok as we thought after that late injury, but that's just my theory, nobody confirmed that.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Hrbas, Musil, Zacpalek, Filippi and Heřman. wow, couldn't be more unexpected. All 3 goalies stay with the team but 1 of them won't be on the official roster. Maybe Musil really wasn't that ok as we thought after that late injury, but that's just my theory, nobody confirmed that.

Yeah, agreed about Musil. Having said that, Filippi, Hrbas? Perhaps they didn't fit into Prerost's team concept, even so it's an unusual move.:shakehead

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Yeah, agreed about Musil. Having said that, Filippi, Hrbas? Perhaps they didn't fit into Prerost's team concept, even so it's an unusual move.:shakehead

I think it must be based on those 2 exhibition games and the camp. IMO all these 3 guys are locks to be there next year. It just didn't work out this time yet.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I think it must be based on those 2 exhibition games and the camp. IMO all these 3 guys are locks to be there next year. It just didn't work out this time yet.

Apparently Musil didn't play in both games cos when he tried to play in training he couldn't. So yeah, out due to injury sadly :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad