CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Here's a copy of the Coyotes TV rights map from 2001. Predates Vegas joining the league.

Two observations:
- Though the Coyotes were granted TV rights to portions of Nevada, they did not include Clark County, where Las Vegas itself is located. I presume the NHL didn't want to grant any team TV rights in Las Vegas proper? Or did one of the California teams hold those rights?

- Notably the 50-Mile Home Territory is defined as every county which is fully or partially within the 50 mile radius.

Coyotes tv map.png

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
If they want to use Outlaws…. Meh…
Rebels , Bandits or Ghouls ( fallout baby!) would be much better.
The Utah Ghouls sounds wicked by the way!

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I like the idea of the bracket-its something a little different. Makes sense then about the trademarking of the names to avoid the "squatting" as has been mentioned.

Im sitting here watch this unfold and its still a tiny bit surreal. Been a long way.

If I may paraphrase the beautiful Roy Blatty dialogue from Blade Runner:

"Ever since I started the Coyotes saga Ive seen things you wouldn't believe.
I've watched the Cupcake Wars in all their glory
I've seen the "imminent front cascade across the desert
I've watched "two weeks become an eterinity"
Ive heard the howls of fans and then the silence of the desert
and now all of it will be gone, like tears in rain"

(I forgot the word tears lol) edited

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
The key...is the passing of HB2274...by the Arizona State Senate...who has not even taken up the bill...

The session ends on 05/10/24...so THAT is the current critical date...it has to pass...in order for Meruelo to even consider going forward with the auction...otherwise...he will have to resort to another 'pile of dirt'...

However...this is tomorrow's event at the State Capitol...
View attachment 857351
For those that are not aware...the Unite Here (Local 11)...represents 2,000 workers in hotels, restaurants, airport concessions, and in-flight catering. Their members include many of the cooks, dishwashers, restaurant and banquet servers, bell staff, and room cleaners...

Nothing to see here... :sarcasm:

Lawmakers debate who can tax stadium districts

State lawmakers debate a bill that would give counties instead of cities a broader authority on those who seek to build stadium districts like the one proposed by the Arizona Coyotes that failed in Tempe. FOX 10's Steve Nielsen has more.

Source (Video): www.fox10phoenix.com/video/1445601

Edit: Just for those that want to know about Arizona's 'Strike Everything' process...

What does “strike everything” mean and where can I find a list of all the strike everything amendments to bills?

A "strike everything after the enacting clause" amendment (also referred to as a "strike everything" amendment or simply a "striker") proposes to delete the entire text of the existing bill and substitute new language, essentially making it a completely different bill, possibly on an entirely different subject. These amendments are sometimes used to allow legislators to circumvent the deadlines on introduction of new legislation, deal with an issue that arises after the deadline or revive a bill that has previously been defeated.

Source: www.azleg.gov/faq/what-does-strike-everything-mean-and-where-can-i-find-a-list-of-all-the-strike-everything-amendments-to-bills/

Last edited:

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
If I may paraphrase the beautiful Roy Blatty dialogue from Blade Runner:

"Ever since I started the Coyotes saga Ive seen things you wouldn't believe.
I've watched the Cupcake Wars in all their glory
I've seen the "imminent front cascade across the desert
I've watched "two weeks become an eterinity"
Ive heard the howls of fans and then the silence of the desert
and now all of it will be gone, like in rain"
One of the greatest movies in cinematic history! :nod:

Reactions: MaskedSonja

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Getting back to the subject at hand........... ;)

Decided the dive into the wonderful world of theme park districts. Anyone interested into this big ol' rabbit hole can go here.

Article 48 of the ARS:

Then scroll all the way down to where theme parks are covered under Chapter 36.

Reactions: Lions67

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
I think Utah HC is a placeholder and Utah Hockey Club will be the corporate name, much like how the Thrashers' corporate name was Atlanta Hockey Club.
The Western Racer is one of the more common snakes of Utah. Utah Racers could have a double-meaning tied into the snake and the Bonneville speedway. Gotta be better than Blizzard or Yetis.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
The Western Racer is one of the more common snakes of Utah. Utah Racers could have a double-meaning tied into the snake and the Bonneville speedway. Gotta be better than Blizzard or Yetis.
It's a nice name! Just don't screw up the uniforms with a checkered-flag team logo and a bunch of ad-- oh, right.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Lawmakers debate who can tax stadium districts

State lawmakers debate a bill that would give counties instead of cities a broader authority on those who seek to build stadium districts like the one proposed by the Arizona Coyotes that failed in Tempe. FOX 10's Steve Nielsen has more.

Source (Video): www.fox10phoenix.com/video/1445601

Edit: Just for those that want to know about Arizona's 'Strike Everything' process...

What does “strike everything” mean and where can I find a list of all the strike everything amendments to bills?

A "strike everything after the enacting clause" amendment (also referred to as a "strike everything" amendment or simply a "striker") proposes to delete the entire text of the existing bill and substitute new language, essentially making it a completely different bill, possibly on an entirely different subject. These amendments are sometimes used to allow legislators to circumvent the deadlines on introduction of new legislation, deal with an issue that arises after the deadline or revive a bill that has previously been defeated.

Source: www.azleg.gov/faq/what-does-strike-everything-mean-and-where-can-i-find-a-list-of-all-the-strike-everything-amendments-to-bills/

Written version...from ABC15...on the HR2274 rally...

Arizona lawmaker proposes changes to laws on special taxing district Coyotes hope to tap

Source: www.abc15.com/news/local-news/arizona-lawmaker-proposes-changes-to-laws-on-special-taxing-district-coyotes-hope-to-tap

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Here's a copy of the Coyotes TV rights map from 2001. Predates Vegas joining the league.

Two observations:
- Though the Coyotes were granted TV rights to portions of Nevada, they did not include Clark County, where Las Vegas itself is located. I presume the NHL didn't want to grant any team TV rights in Las Vegas proper? Or did one of the California teams hold those rights?

- Notably the 50-Mile Home Territory is defined as every county which is fully or partially within the 50 mile radius.

View attachment 858439
As a Clark County resident, I was able to watch Ducks and Kings games on cable.

Paywall nominally

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
You conveniently omitted some of the outside interference that manifested itself in the process.

When you figure out that Arizona was a one off situation maybe you'll finally realize that all the "whataboutisms" aren't going to work.

I'll bring a bucket of smelt tomorrow.

Exactly. That was my point all along. None of the normal standards applied. Including the "no one wanting to own the team" standard. Heck that standard was ignored twice. First in keeping the team there and then again when they took it away. AM was willing to keep owning it and the league strong-armed him into giving it up.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
As a Clark County resident, I was able to watch Ducks and Kings games on cable.

Paywall nominally

This article proves everything I said earlier in the thread about Strang. Even the headline is just not a journalistic portrayal of reality. Someone who isn't writing an opinion piece doesn't write a phrase like "Meruelo’s relationship with that reality was, at best, casual."

There's plenty of truth in that article, but again she writes it up like she's writing a gossip column.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
There is a popular, albeit conspiratorial theory on these boards that Alex Meurelo was never really an official owner of the Coyotes. That he was basically a shell owner that was there to keep the team in Phoenix, and that the team was generally under NHL control. I don't believe this idea personally but it would explain how Bettman was basically able to force AM to sell his franchise to Smith in record time. Nothing really explains how or why AM went from "I don't want to sell" as of March 6th to the team being gone less than six weeks later. It's obvious that Bettman had *something* over him and generally leagues aren't able to force owners out like Bettman managed to do here. Was it really just the allure of $1 billion dollars and being relieved of a money-losing asset? It could be. But this situation is so unprecedented in professional sports that it still smells fishy to me.

So I have cited the NHL Constitution before (which ironically was made public because of the Coyotes bankruptcy proceedings if I recall correctly).

The NHL Constitution specifically allows for the suspension or termination of a franchise on a 3/4 vote of the Board of Governors. It's also worth noting that the entire reason the NHL was formed was because, back in 1917, the teams of the National Hockey Association couldn't stand one of the owners, so they all quit and formed a new league, the NHL. So of course they've had, from the beginning, a way to deal with "bad" owners.

But here's the thing - trying to suspend the Coyotes would be very messy. It would almost certainly lead to litigation, which even if the league were to win, would be bad press. for months if not years. So the league goes to AM "Hey - we could suspend your franchise, but instead why don't you sell to this name man Ryan Smith over here for $1 billion and we all walk away happy".

No need for conspiracy theories.

Humbly request the thread history stays with the Coyotes

and a new thread identity for Utah is created.

League was very explicit - the Coyotes are merely suspended, and could be brought back within 5 years if a new arena is built.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Humbly request the thread history stays with the Coyotes

and a new thread identity for Utah is created.

Yes, there is little connection between them from a business side now.

Obviously the saga is not over completely in Phoenix, but no reason to be talking about both things in the same thread.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
League was very explicit - the Coyotes are merely suspended, and could be brought back within 5 years if a new arena is built.

Well aware. I was pointing out that the "Clock is ticking on the Desert Dogs" Arizona Arena saga, and Ryan Smith's Utah NHL Franchise are different topics.

(Again, humbly suggesting) maybe thread title updates to both this thread, and the continuation/rename of the other thread are in order:

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I never paid too much attention to AM specifically. I didn't realize how bad it was. I had always assumed he was operating in good faith and failing. In retrospect, it seems he thought the Yotes were too big to fail, and as a result, people would bend to his will. And for that, he makes a half billion. Assholes always win.

I wonder if one of the AZ burbs will have another vote at the 5 years and 1 day mark. It sucks that has become the de facto minimum wait for their fans, but. guess the NHL had to do what they had to do to make it an amicable sale.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I never paid too much attention to AM specifically. I didn't realize how bad it was. I had always assumed he was operating in good faith and failing. In retrospect, it seems he thought the Yotes were too big to fail, and as a result, people would bend to his will. And for that, he makes a half billion. Assholes always win.

I wonder if one of the AZ burbs will have another vote at the 5 years and 1 day mark. It sucks that has become the de facto minimum wait for their fans, but. guess the NHL had to do what they had to do to make it an amicable sale.

It sounds like there are some hard deadlines. IE Meruelo has to buy land within a year, has to have an arena 50% constructed by the 3.5 year mark. LeBrun said this morning that he hasn't talked to an NHL governor who thinks that Meruelo will pull it off in that timeframe. It would be funny to see him stuck with an arena and no anchor team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad