CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Why not both?

The anonymous sources thing isn't amazing but you're right, it's not a thing that will ever change probably.

I appreciate that Strang has taken a lot of shit for things that probably will end up true- or are at least looking a lot more likely.

There's 2 problems I have with her. One is that she has gotten things wrong, and that isn't necessarily something that's been acknowledged. It makes it harder to believe what she's saying when we have evidence that it's wrong. Not always about the Coyotes either.

The other is that the way she writes her articles, and the way she paints pictures, to me looks really biased- I've posted this on the Coyotes board before but there's no reason for her opening paragraph to be about XG having a sparsely furnished 2.5m mansion and inviting AM Sr. and Jr. and there's no reason to make a whole bunch of accusations that can't be verified, when it isn't even a part of the article, just a throwaway. The fact she has always, continuously, shit on the Coyotes for her entire time, and that she has thrown mud at pretty much everyone in the organization brass, even people who are otherwise squeaky clean, and the way she paints those pictures, I can accept what she says as truth, but I can't say that she doesn't deserve some of that criticism or that she's a good, unbiased investigative journalist.

Do you still think he's the best owner this team has had?

Not anymore.

Reactions: Dead Coyote

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Ryan Smith Says Fan-Voted Bracket Will Decide Utah’s NHL Team Nickname

During his appearance on McAfee’s program, Smith detailed how the nickname of Utah’s NHL team would be chosen.

“We’re doing a bracket,” the NBA and NHL team owner told the former NFL punter.

Smith added that the bracket would begin with eight nicknames and trimmed down until the eventual winning name is decided. “We’re gonna take this down from like eight all the way down and the fans are gonna vote for this,” Smith detailed.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA

During his appearance on McAfee’s program, Smith detailed how the nickname of Utah’s NHL team would be chosen.

Smith added that the bracket would begin with eight nicknames and trimmed down until the eventual winning name is decided. “We’re gonna take this down from like eight all the way down and the fans are gonna vote for this,” Smith detailed.

In an alternate universe, this is how Seattle's team became the Rain City Bitch Pigeons.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
They have an arena…. Period.

The official reason for rejecting Jamison’s was he did not have a stakeholder with a large enough share.

IceArizona was part of that group. They saw what the NHL wanted and went out and found George Gosbee to be the major stakeholder plus one other. This came from Daryl Jones himself.

The point remains that it doesn't take 3 years to vet owners. Arizona just didn't have legit owners for years on end and the league kept floating them despite that.

In an alternate universe, this is how Seattle's team became the Rain City Bitch Pigeons.
They will wind up being Pucky McPuckface

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
They will wind up being Pucky McPuckface
They've filed the trademarks on 7 names, the 8th may be fan sourced - although the logistics on that has to be hell because you'd have to get on it before someone else. Anyways, I need to go trademark that in exchange for a Utah Pucky McPuckface sweater.

Here are the 7 for everyone else that missed those posts earlier in this thread: Utah Blizzard, Utah Venom, Utah Fury, Utah HC, Utah Hockey Club, Utah Yetis, and Utah Outlaws

Reactions: Headshot77

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
They've filed the trademarks on 7 names, the 8th may be fan sourced - although the logistics on that has to be hell because you'd have to get on it before someone else. Anyways, I need to go trademark that in exchange for a Utah Pucky McPuckface sweater.

Here are the 7 for everyone else that missed those posts earlier in this thread: Utah Blizzard, Utah Venom, Utah Fury, Utah HC, Utah Hockey Club, Utah Yetis, and Utah Outlaws

Majority of those sound like an XFL team.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The point remains that it doesn't take 3 years to vet owners. Arizona just didn't have legit owners for years on end and the league kept floating them despite that.

They vetted FOUR different potential owners in those three years.

Quit sealioning.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
They vetted FOUR different potential owners in those three years.

Quit sealioning.

It doesn't the 3 years to vet 4 ownership groups. No other sale took that long. The fact is Bettman ignored the "willing to own a team in the market" standard for the Coyotes. Unless you assume that he didn't mean "willing and capable."

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Check out this Podcast: Ryan Smith on Bringing the NHL to Utah Ryan Smith on Bringing the NHL to Utah

33 Thoughts podcast brings Ryan Smith back (a year later) to talk some specifics like how they will be reworking arena.

Edit - other sources

17 sheets in the SLC area? 1:00 AM start times? Call me a bit skeptical, but PHX area has 12 sheets with twice the USA hockey registrations and does not have 1:00 AM start times.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Cleveland Monsters is stupid sounding. Lake Erie Monsters sounds way cooler and I'm not sure why.

Definitely the fact that it's a monster living in the lake. I understand why they changed it: If the city of Erie didn't exist, or if the lake was Lake Cleveland...

Majority of those sound like an XFL team.

Any name not currently in use by someone is going to sound like an XFL name. The only reason some team nicknames don't sound ridiculous is just because you're used to them. If there wasn't a baseball team for 130 years named the Athletics and someone suggested that as a team name, it'd be laughed out of the room.

Think of the reaction if the Utah NHL team announced its intention to take the name Blue Sox. Why the hell would we name our team after Socks?
Now think of the reaction of the Boston MLB team announced it was changing its name FROM the Red Sox. It would be the second-largest rebellion in New England history.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Leaving it in the hands of the public is never a good idea. But at least he'll have picked 8 names he at least likes.
Still a better name than the kraken

I highly doubt Utah HC and/or Hockey Club will be part of the voting. Probably just trademarked as a plan B for 2024-25 only

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I know we’ve been over this many times before but you’re missing the actual reason which is that fans largely don’t give a shit about the legal realities of the franchise system and view teams more as civic institutions than businesses.

Nobody in Washington cares about Dennis Martinez’s perfect game.

Nobody in Utah cares about Shane Doan.

The idea that these team records belong to that paper not to the only individuals in the world who care about them, the people who actually watched those games, is a goofy legal fiction.

You’re asking people to conceptualize this like a Vulcan in Star Trek, through the frame of logic and legality. But there’s nothing really logical about sports fandom, it’s right there in the name.

I was gonna respond to the first part, but you kinda rendered it moot by the last part there. But I think you're not really taking a very sound argument one necessary step further: The concept of "owning history" is illogical and insane. We've associated something official that really shouldn't be there.

Team history follows the piece of paper simply because if it didn't, it would just disappear and sports fans love stats and history.

I'm glad you brought up the Expos/Nationals. I've made the argument to fellow New York Mets fans that the team should retire #8 for Gary Carter. And the fans correctly point out that his time with the Mets, and success with the Mets, was well short of the Mets retiring his number; and that's why he's an Expo on his Hall of Fame plaque. And that is totally correct. But the Expos are gone; he never played in Washington (or for the Montreal Canadiens, whom I applaud), SOMEONE NEEDS TO PRESERVE THE LEGACY of Gary Carter in a baseball stadium, and we're the only ones who can do it, so we should.

And that's your Vulcan logic of why a team's history goes with the franchise. But again, this is data and facts we're talking about. It has no monetary value, only sentimental and historical value...

The Winnipeg Jets media guide has "Franchise Records" and "Winnipeg Records." The Winnipeg Arena has Hawerchuk, Nilsson, Hull and Hedberg hanging in the rafters.

What stops Winnipeg from ignoring Mark Scheifele's 329th goal and celebrating his 380th as "Winnipeg's all-time leading scorer" ? NOTHING. His 329th goal would make him the ATL/WPG franchise all-time leader, and his 380th would make him WINNIPEG'S because Shane Doan scored 395 of 402 in Arizona.

As long as you're GRAMMATICALLY accurate, do what you wanna do in your media guide and record book.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It doesn't the 3 years to vet 4 ownership groups. No other sale took that long. The fact is Bettman ignored the "willing to own a team in the market" standard for the Coyotes. Unless you assume that he didn't mean "willing and capable."

You conveniently omitted some of the outside interference that manifested itself in the process.

When you figure out that Arizona was a one off situation maybe you'll finally realize that all the "whataboutisms" aren't going to work.

I'll bring a bucket of smelt tomorrow.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Leaving it in the hands of the public is never a good idea. But at least he'll have picked 8 names he at least likes.

Having fan engagement is a bad thing??

Still a better name than the kraken

The fans still accept it and that's what matters the most.

I highly doubt Utah HC and/or Hockey Club will be part of the voting. Probably just trademarked as a plan B for 2024-25 only

Smith said up front the HC name would be temporary until they came up with a permanent one..

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Having fan engagement is a bad thing??

The fans still accept it and that's what matters the most.

Smith said up front the HC name would be temporary until they came up with a permanent one..
Fan engagement is fine when appropriate. Deciding the deal of the game or drink special? Sure. Naming your $1B franchise? Probably not. Think about how stupid the average person is..

That's the problem. Kraken is a horrible name that a lot of people wanted.

Yea I kinda figured as much regarding HC

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
In this universe, this is how we got NHL All Star John Scott. It's the NHL version of "Welease Bwian!" **

** You must be this much of a Monty Python geek to get that joke.

• Haha
Reactions: Spydey629

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

As much as I want them to go way off board and also name the hockey team the Jazz, Utah Raptors makes a lot of sense as the 8th name, if these 7 are all going to be in that bracket.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I think Utah HC is a placeholder and Utah Hockey Club will be the corporate name, much like how the Thrashers' corporate name was Atlanta Hockey Club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad