CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Exactly. So if Murelon doesn’t have to return the $1 billion in full (except for maybe the Coyotes share of that expansion) to restart the team he got he will essentially he will essentially get paid to continue to be an owner in a way that no other ownership group is getting. Likewise him having to pay more than the $1 billion punishes him for doing what the league wanted him to do and deactivate the franchise while the arena situation gets settled. That’s why that $1 billion to restart is locked in at the number. Allows for continuity.
How is he getting paid? Sorry I lost you.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Ok? That's exactly why AM doesn't usually speak publicly. Didn't really have a choice here......
I know, I am highlighting that as part of WHY he has been silent recently.

Today's performance was bad enough to understand by there was a blanket gag order on him until the paperwork was all signed bc he obviously could have grenaded it based on today's performance. There has been a lot of shit tossed at him for not being public until yesterday on the radio show. I imagine it would have gone similar if he even was just meeting and speaking to staff. JG probably could have though, he dances with words and wording

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
I also think they don't want to give the NHLPA a leverage point in CBA discussions.

Bingo! Not if rumors of expansion and candidates meeting with Bettman are still ongoing. You ideally want 33/34/35 locked up by the end of next summer. Arizona is likely immune to anything the future CBA produces because of the way this deal was crafted - Meruelo isn't paying for an expansion team, he's paying to re-activate his team. Very, very clever how they went about this.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
How is he getting paid? Sorry I lost you.
He gets paid $1 billion now and the if he has to payback less than that $1 billion (as you originally speculated) then that difference is basically a payout for him to continue as an owner. So let’s say he has to pay $750 million to restart, he would pocket and extra $250 as a result.

That is why the amount he is getting paid now (the $1 billion) is the price to restart the franchise. Because in the that scenario everything is a wash, he is continuous owner and what Smith paid to league is essentially an expansion team for team 33. Muerlo fails he keeps that $1 billion that is being paid to him now and the transaction stays as a sale of a team (with the league charging a relocation fee to Smith).

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
He gets paid $1 billion now and the if he has to payback less than that $1 billion (as you originally speculated) then that difference is basically a payout for him to continue as an owner. So let’s say he has to pay $750 million to restart, he would pocket and extra $250 as a result.

That is why the amount he is getting paid now (the $1 billion) is the price to restart the franchise. Because in the that scenario everything is a wash, he is continuous owner and what Smith paid to league is essentially an expansion team for team 33. Muerlo fails he keeps that $1 billion that is being paid to him now and the transaction stays as a sale of a team (with the league charging a relocation fee to Smith).
See and I think all the reports out of the BOG that they dont think he can actually meet the criteria to reactivate is why they probably conceded again and gave him a better option. The league was willing to get bent here in order to move on from mullet. They over paid now, and I have no reason to think there isn't some other concessions in there based around their thought AM wont be able to make it in 5 years. They just wanted to get this done and avoid court.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As it is ASU should also be a hockey member of the Big Ten as well, they too are AAU. I would think they would want to compete in a power conference for the sport even if it means affiliate membership.
In hockey, NCHC is a power conference. 6 out of 7 national championships, and now have the school with the most in history. They are the power conference

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
There are plenty of owners in pro sports that you don't hear from, they just front the money and let other people that are hired do the jobs. Obviously, this is a different situation and it's his responsibility, but there's no problem with an owner that doesn't want to be out front and center.
Outside of cases where someone inherited the team when an owner died there aren't many where guys are this unavailable. It also doesn't make sense to be that way when the team you bought has such an image problem. If he bought the Penguins, go ahead and hide.

You can keep making excuses for the RMS Meruelo but even the biggest apologists have come around to admitting he messed up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Looking forward to ASU in the NCHC this fall.
Gotta think at some point some of these teams out west out programs together. There’s not enough options.

I think it warrants mentioning that an expansion team obviously pays their roster $70m-$90m each season they exist, so the players ARE getting more total dollars via more jobs given to NHLPA members.
I think people are talking about the actual fee though.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Bingo! Not if rumors of expansion and candidates meeting with Bettman are still ongoing. You ideally want 33/34/35 locked up by the end of next summer. Arizona is likely immune to anything the future CBA produces because of the way this deal was crafted - Meruelo isn't paying for an expansion team, he's paying to re-activate his team. Very, very clever how they went about this.
That's why the Marty Walsh appearance at the BoG meeting was considered contentious, but also forced the NHL into having to deal with the Arizona issue. The NHLPA has vested interest in HRR being at is maximum possible and if the NHL was considered to be delinquent in its ability to maximize HRR, using the Arizona situation to the benefit of the owners "cut", could have made for some interesting negotiations. Easier for the owners to stomp out any perceived/potential leverage in a CBA negotiation, so they can go back to a more "neutral" position.

They want expansion to be in the works before the end of the 27-28 season, so that the US TV rights deal can be negotiated with more included markets to maximize that deal.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Outside of cases where someone inherited the team when an owner died there aren't many where guys are this unavailable. It also doesn't make sense to be that way when the team you bought has such an image problem. If he bought the Penguins, go ahead and hide.

You can keep making excuses for the RMS Meruelo but even the biggest apologists have come around to admitting he messed up.
1713565898745.png

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
You think items by the PA to increase HRR will be down the priority list or a hard no from the league?

They both want those, but the PA wants a legit seat at the table in doing that rather than putting trust in the league to do it right.

I think any CBA change that impedes the freedom of a team owner to operate their business as they see fit would be a hard no from the league. If the PA had some other creative ideas for increasing HRR that don't impede on ownership independence I'm sure the NHL would listen.

The reality is the PA isn't going to get a "legit seat at the table". The MLB players don't have one. The NBA players don't have one. The NFL players don't have one. I don't see any way in which the NHL players somehow buck this trend.

Some of the things I think the NHLPA could prioritize (in no particular order):

- Getting more compensation moved out of the 50/50 share of HRR. For example in 2020 the league paid award and stat bonuses were removed from the player share of HRR. If the PA could get some pension or other money moved out of the player share that leaves more money in the player share for direct salary compensation to the players.
- Getting more items included into HRR. I don't think getting the 50/50 split changed is realistic, but if the PA could get HRR bumped up with new streams or remove existing items from the player share that is a net boost for player paychecks.
- Guaranteed Olympic participation.
- Earlier UFA.
- Can they push Escrow lower than 6%?
- Possible adjustments to the NTC/NMC system.
- Increased minimum salary--pretty much automatic every new CBA.
- Increased minimum AHL salary.
- Increased pension contributions
- Individual hotel rooms for all players on road trips. Currently only 10 year vets IIRC.
- Increased player compensation for career ending injuries.
- Possible adjustments to the Player Assistance Program if any concerns have been brought to the PA during the current MOU. Several players have been in the program in recent years.
- Possible increases to health insurance benefits for retired players and family.
- Earlier salary arbitration eligibility.
- Increased Revenue Sharing pool size.

Reactions: sneakytitz

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
That's why the Marty Walsh appearance at the BoG meeting was considered contentious, but also forced the NHL into having to deal with the Arizona issue. The NHLPA has vested interest in HRR being at is maximum possible and if the NHL was considered to be delinquent in its ability to maximize HRR, using the Arizona situation to the benefit of the owners "cut", could have made for some interesting negotiations. Easier for the owners to stomp out any perceived/potential leverage in a CBA negotiation, so they can go back to a more "neutral" position.

They want expansion to be in the works before the end of the 27-28 season, so that the US TV rights deal can be negotiated with more included markets to maximize that deal.

I am giddy. Everything is lining up for a huge push and in short order.

Reactions: eojsmada

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Craig Morgan has clarified details of the deal

Arena must be 50% completed before the request to reactivate. Craig says that if it’s close enough, he will likely get wiggle room. They said if he doesn’t have a shovel in the ground in 3 years, he won’t make it.

If AM fails at the auction, that does NOT kill the this dead. AM can pivot to other pieces of land he has letters of intent on (such as Mesa). He must have land within a year though.

AM must own the team for 5 years after reactivating.

They dissect the press conference, which they obviously felt was a clown show.

And Craig got an interview with Bettman. He found out this morning that the one with AM wasn’t happening.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
In hockey, NCHC is a power conference. 6 out of 7 national championships, and now have the school with the most in history. They are the power conference
If ASU and Utah joined the Big Ten for hockey though they'd be playing against schools that are power conference in football and basketball too. No NCHC school currently has a P4 football program.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If ASU and Utah joined the Big Ten for hockey though they'd be playing against schools that are power conference in football and basketball too. No NCHC school currently has a P4 football program.
This ain’t football or basketball, they don’t give a shit about that. They will be far more worried about travel costs, scheduling, and expenses. Boston College has no problem being in a conference with Maine, Merrimack, and Vermont.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad