CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Wow. Gary's back-peddling game is quick. AM: "I don't like the media" GB: "Let me translate that..."

Bettman is a lawyer by trade, who's spent the better part of 40 years serving as the primary communicator for 26-32 groups of people whose f*** you money has f*** you money, and who are utterly unused to being told what to do, think, or say. Think whatever we will of him, there are probably fewer than a thousand people worldwide better equipped to manage a message on the fly than Bettman.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Here's my overly complicated theory - Tillman is going to use acquiring an NHL team as a way to try and get massive public subsidies for a brand new arena when the time comes.
Arena was built in around 2004 or so. Pretty much others around that age will be renovated. Location seems good. He is also in one of the major markets in the US. There is no where he could move the rockets and still be worth the $4 bill plus it is worth now.

Especially once sea and LV land teams.

And if he did move another owner would eye Houston as a market…

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Bettman again avoids the language of "expansion" when talking about coyotes 2.0.

He absolutely went out of the way to avoid that term when talking about roster construction for coyotes 2.0

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
You can "read" this press conference depending on who you're inclined to "blame" on the relocation.

If you're a "everything's the commissioner's fault" kinda person, Bettman comes across (like @bleedblue94 says) as testy and at times arrogant, often interrupting reporters and Alex too (and answering questions not even directed to him). You're going to walk away with your "Bettman is a jerk" opinion re-confirmed.

If you're a "everything's the owner's fault" kinda person, Meruelo comes across as a man WAY over his head, unable to articulate well and not someone you'd trust to sell popsicles in a desert or heaters in Alaska. You're going to walk away with your "Meruelo is incompetent" feelings confirmed.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
You can "read" this press conference depending on who you're inclined to "blame" on the relocation.

If you're a "everything's the commissioner's fault" kinda person, Bettman comes across (like @bleedblue94 says) as testy and at times arrogant, often interrupting reporters and Alex too (and answering questions not even directed to him). You're going to walk away with your "Bettman is a jerk" opinion re-confirmed.

If you're a "everything's the owner's fault" kinda person, Meruelo comes across as a man WAY over his head, unable to articulate well and not someone you'd trust to sell popsicles in a desert or heaters in Alaska. You're going to walk away with your "Meruelo is incompetent" feelings confirmed.
I think it is the middle ground honestly. I am more commenting on Gary because I have seen so many of these where he handles and owns the PC without issue, but he spent so much time trying to "fix" it for AM and based on what/how AM was talking that Gary looked completely pissed. Gary CLEARLY was using this PC to help promote the fact that the league wants to be back and they need help to do so. This PC was an attempt to take questions on what is happening now and spin them to focus on a positive future. AM kept talking past (forgetting his talking points) and dragging everyone back through the shit. Gary kept trying to refocus things. Based on that I think Gary was getting pissed bc he prob wishes he could have done the PC alone, but he knows he needs to babysit AM on these public appearances (probably now so more than ever)

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
The more AM is talking the more the league is looking at him saying this guy cannot be a public rep for our league. Oh man...

Good thing Bettman is there to be a babysit him. AM wants a chance to "breathe" before he refunds ticket season holders that already paid. YIKES, this guy is a mess. and not at all helping his public image...

There are plenty of owners in pro sports that you don't hear from, they just front the money and let other people that are hired do the jobs. Obviously, this is a different situation and it's his responsibility, but there's no problem with an owner that doesn't want to be out front and center.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
So AM doesn't even have the cashflow to give 3-4K people their season ticket refunds? lol he's probably going to offer a swap into AHL games, hence the speculation about moving the AHL to mullet. (which I'm sure will tick off their season ticket base)

How many business blunders can this guy make? How do these people even get rich? is he second or third generation money?

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
There are plenty of owners in pro sports that you don't hear from, they just front the money and let other people that are hired do the jobs. Obviously, this is a different situation and it's his responsibility, but there's no problem with an owner that doesn't want to be out front and center.
There is a difference in not wanting to be out front vs being destructive to your brand when you speak.

Reactions: Voight and LT

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So AM doesn't even have the cashflow to give 3-4K people their season ticket refunds? lol he's probably going to offer a swap into AHL games, hence the speculation about moving the AHL to mullet. (which I'm sure will tick off their season ticket base)

How many business blunders can this guy make? How do these people even get rich? is he second or third generation money?
if the AHL Allows a dual arena, it's not ideal, but has been done before.....

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

It's both...

Bettman is and always will be an arrogant jerk.

Meruelo is incompetent and is in way over his head, and IMO this franchise is dead forever if the NHL insists Meruelo is the owner.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Alex just said he does not like media...then Bettman interjected...

If you like being a private person, maybe owning a major league sports team isn't for you. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk said part of the reason Dan Snyder sold the Washington Commanders was because his kids had no desire to deal with the attention that goes with owning an NFL team. That's when I first heard the saying "The only thing better than being rich and famous is just being rich" if he wants to avoid the limelight stick with pizza shops, radio stations, etc.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
I just want to point out that the 3/6 date when Gary broached this idea to Meruelo is likely shortly after Vernon Krause informed Gary that Krause and Forsyth County had ironed out their agreement and had an MoU in place. Forsyth set the MoU vote date one week later on 3/13.

Reactions: dj4aces and GKJ

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I just want to point out that the 3/6 date when Gary broached this idea to Meruelo is likely shortly after Vernon Krause informed Gary that Krause and Forsyth County had ironed out their agreement and had an MoU in place. Forsyth set the MoU vote date one week later on 3/13.

And this is why I think expansion is happening sooner than later. There was urgency to resolve the Mullett Arena situation and that urgency was driven by Atlanta and Houston.

Reactions: dj4aces

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad