CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

As a former reporter I say good on these guys for having good inside sources. As someone who's worked in media relations, I remain stunned at how leaky the NHL is. That the public found out before the players and (especially) non-hockey staff did is just terrible for employee relations.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleedblue94

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
From the release:

“ In addition, the Board approved a plan that renders the Arizona Coyotes franchise inactive, with a right to reactivate if owner Alex Meruelo has fully constructed a new, state-of-the-art facility appropriate for an NHL team within five years.”

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The Coyotes branding is so strong that they brought back their original look, even when the brick red Mike Smith unis were absolutely gorgeous. The Kachina, and the name, will be back when the NHL returns to PHX
It really remains to be seen how strong the Coyotes brand is. That a bunch of Internet dweebs posting here like it says something, but it might not say what you think it says. I'm not saying it's bad or good, but rather I would hope that whoever owns the next Phoenix franchise should invest in some good market research to get a good answer to that question.

I suspect the NHL brand is pretty badly tarnished, given that there has been 15 years of wall-to-wall folding/relocating/disbanding/selling/moving talk. That kind of stuff seeps into your pores, and I would bet that a healthy percentage of sports fans in the region have an overall negative view of the NHL as a result.

This move is the best thing for the long-term future of pro hockey in Phoenix, just for that reason. I don't think five years is nearly long enough of a hiatus. You need more time to wash away the stench of failure.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
up to the media rights partners the new team signs, I'd think... but even then, a lot of people aren't going to want to uproot their families. Probably also partly depends on if the AHL team shakes out.

For the PBP guys, they could probably get work in Arizona for another team if they wanted. Someone has to do ASU hockey or like Arizona football
Going back to the Browns example most of the team staff moved, even those who were born and raised in the area. Recently the guy who was the head of PR for the team retired and did an interview with the Cleveland paper. He was a Cleveland native and said that when he didn't know if he wanted to go Ozzie Newsome told him "there isn't an NFL team in Cleveland offering us a job." People move for work all the time.

So if Ryan Smith tells Todd Walsh "hey I'd like you to broadcast the games in Utah" Is he really going to say no if there is no job in Phoenix?

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
NHL in Utah is now up and live online. The Coyotes website is still there and still with the auction clock.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The Coyotes will be back in the Pacific Division if they get reactivated.

Utah being in the Central is better than Arizona in the Central since SLC observes DST while Phoenix does not which meant the Central was a three time zone division in a part-time basis, something the NHL had eliminated in 2013.

So starting next season, both Western divisions will once again be two-time zone on a full-time basis.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I mean at the end of the day, there were only 5000 people there last night. Most of the relocation news hasn't made it above the fold in the Arizona Republic.

"My NHL team" is going to be the team that represents you in the NHL. If they're the Arizona Coyotes or if they're the Phoenix Saguaros, they're the NHL team for those fans.

That's a total cop out. The fact that the arena holds 4,600 is why this is happening.

The verbiage I expected.

This is a franchise switch-a-roo: Salt Lake has an arena and no roster; Arizona has a roster and no arena.

The Coyotes will be back in the Pacific Division if they get reactivated.

Utah being in the Central is better than Arizona in the Central since SLC observes DST while Phoenix does not which meant the Central was a three time zone division in a part-time basis, something the NHL had eliminated in 2013.

So starting next season, both Western divisions will once again be two-time zone on a full-time basis.

Plus. Arizona - Houston - Quebec - Atlanta balances the four divisions.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
For a potential timeline comparison, back in 2011 from the relocation announcement of Atlanta to Winnipeg, it took:

- 24 days for a name announcement,
- 52 days for a logo reveal, and
- 98 days for a uniform reveal

Assuming an identical timetable, that'd put the respective dates at May 12th, June 9th, and July 25th, assuming my assuredly wrong math is correct.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Interesting to see what comes out of the Meruelo press conference.... he definitely has his work cut out for him... not just building what he claims to, but getting the fan base to believe he's actually going to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad