CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Chaps never have asses
Why do you know this
and I don't know how the hell you relate a corn cob pipe to felicio, a cob itself yes, but a pipe?
Don't tell me it wouldn't be gangster of AM for him to walk into an auction with a corn cob pipe in his mouth and sunglasses, and proceed to outbid all these jabronis.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I think June 27 is too little to late for the Coyotes there is no guarantee they will win the auction & doubt they can go another year at mullet arena if they don't win that auction which they won't when you consider they will need public money to build this arena & doubt anybody would front the money to do it so in my opinion they should just start talking to Salt Lake City & Houston see if they will relocate them there .
Next year will be in Mullett.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yup. But the question is where will they be year after that.
Timeline for construction, based on LV was 21 months, though there was an area of 2 that still needed some work. Talking end of June before the auction is final.

Shovels would need to hit the ground in 2024 to be ready for regular season in October 2026. So, minimum they need to play 4 seasons total in Mullet. Longer it takes for shovels to hit the ground, pushing into 2025, then either part of a 5th season needs to be played in Mullet or they follow the Isles and play a monster road trip to open the season.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Timeline for construction, based on LV was 21 months, though there was an area of 2 that still needed some work. Talking end of June before the auction is final.

Shovels would need to hit the ground in 2024 to be ready for regular season in October 2026. So, minimum they need to play 4 seasons total in Mullet. Longer it takes for shovels to hit the ground, pushing into 2025, then either part of a 5th season needs to be played in Mullet or they follow the Isles and play a monster road trip to open the season.
They’re looking at shovels down in late 2024. One year for infrastructure work, and two for the arena and initial phase buildings.

Open for 2027-28 season.

(edit)
If you want you add some context… had TED passed they would still be excavating and cleaning up the landfill right now or at the tail end of it.

So they aren’t much off from where they would’ve been anyway.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Been trying to catch up on this since the auction notice dropped.

For those wondering if someone besides the Coyotes can just show up and grab a paddle, I’m going to suggest you read the actual auction notice (PDF) I’ve linked above.

Have not read it myself, but I’m monitoring someone who has and she is well plugged into the political world here. I’m using her interpretations below.

That document spells out who can be qualified to bid and the requirements to the winning bidder are somewhat extensive.

Aside from the $16 million cashiers check…

- There must be proof of sufficient funds in place to close the deal at the end of 30 days. No form of financing is acceptable. Balance will be due in total at close, in cash.

- There must be an acceptable plan in place to initiate the infrastructure plan within the first 6 months of close and be completed within 36 months. Estimate cost for this is $80-100 million and is the responsibility of the winning bidder to finance it all.

Most of the state land auctions are structured this way, which is why leas than a quarter of them end up attracting more the one bidder.
Do you get the $16 million back if you lose bid?

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Parking for an event looks like a nightmare. Even though it's closer to Scottsdale, it's still not centrally located and on the edge of the greater area of the Phoenix community (even most of the Eastside).

Will be 100 acres left over, after the arena is built, so lots left over for parking and other buildings.

Reactions: SirJW

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
There's a lot of speculation about boogeymen but I don't see it realistically happening. The second bidder stuff is really not feasible because the city wants this. If you come along and say I'll bid $100m and I'm just going to build some houses instead, screw the sports team, well good luck getting the city to buy off on your proposal. Yes the city probably won't just accept the tax district that the Coyotes propose but these are simple negotiations. The Coyotes and City can negotiate on things like admissions and parking taxes and get much of the way there. The financing for the rest of the project is pretty much when its available and the development can underwrite it, they will build it. High-end residential doesn't need to be finished to make this project work, just build the damn arena already.

And as much as other cities are saying they are ready to take the team over, no one's project makes as much financial sense as this one does that I have seen. Maybe the Atlanta one is close but I don't know if they really need an arena and team to make that one feasible. That location can support a development like that one with a smaller arena and it still works.

I have been involved in the analysis in a few of these before and they all have a "feeling" once everyone is seeing eye to eye. I think this one has a feeling. As much as some apathy and finger is pointing about who is to blame, no one really wants them to leave the Valley.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I hate saying this but even if they win this auction at this point it makes so much more sense to move the current franchise, let them get settled in a new long-term market IF one exists that can properly house the team now (Houston), let AM win this auction and develop his project with the approval of the NHL and open promise of an expansion team that start playing the first season that the new arena is open (money from sale of current team could be used to find the expansion team, and we all know the league will adjust for the Arizona market so that could cap the fee to match the sale price of the current franchise). Talking about 3 or 4 more seasons at mullet is borderline insanity.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
@TheLegend you can laugh all you want, but 3-4 more years at mullet will do more damage and there is a bigger thing here that is being ignored.

It's all fine if AM wins the bid and builds the area, but there is a long history of much more historically relevant and stronger franchises having attendance issues with it's local fans if there is a disconnect between the fans and the team owner. Some people seem to just assume that if there is an NHL building in the "right" location that all the fans will just come flocking back. What if they don't? What if there is a disconnect w the owner and the fans and they don't want to come to a rink in the middle of nowhere with nothing else built around it (at the start)? What happens then? Serious question. This saga has had significant impact on the fan base, people seem to assume those fans will just start ponying up again and pack the area. What if they would rather continue watching at home at this point?

Every one of those fans knows that they and the franchise are just an angle to the entertainment district. That is where AM and JG are really trying to get. The coyotes are an angle to get there. Does that matter to the fans?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad