CXLVIII - Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo had 'productive' meeting with Phoenix mayor

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I suppose it makes sense to renovate the Delta Center until the new building is constructed, presumably in time for the 3034 winter games. 12k unobstructed seats though? That's pretty rough.
I am under the impression that they are renovating Delta Center instead of building a new arena but I could be wrong.12K is low for the NHL, but it appears it will just be 12K for two seasons then 17K after that. Compare that to the Arizona situation where they were looking at 4.6K for at least 3-4 seasons and then about 17K-18K after that -- assuming they could get an arena deal done.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I am under the impression that they are renovating Delta Center instead of building a new arena but I could be wrong.12K is low for the NHL, but it appears it will just be 12K for two seasons then 17K after that. Compare that to the Arizona situation where they were looking at 4.6K for at least 3-4 seasons and then about 17K-18K after that -- assuming they could get an arena deal done.
That could be the case too. I admit, I haven't really kept up with SLC's arena situations, but I recall hearing the goal would be a new barn. Whether or not the plan is to renovate instead of replace, 12k definitely isn't sustainable in the long term either.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
How are they going to renovate that building to be hockey friendly without demolishing both ends? Weird.

Probably that, or they'll get "creative" with it. Not to mention, it is much easier to get public funding for renovations than it is for a new arena. One of those probably doesn't need a public vote or bidding on who will build the thing and what it'll look like.

They'll Frankenstein the building until the rest of the city catches up with the new sports team playing during the Fall>Winter>Spring season. Once they get the tourism built up, you'll start to see the PR train get into action about how the arena is "the worst in the NHL/NBA" and that they'll be able to attract S-Tier concerts to leverage building because of A, B, and C reasons where it becomes a destination place to play.

Right now, it is a hard market for the general public to want to fork out more taxes to fund a building many probably will not use unless the tickets are free. As others have mentioned before with the Yotes, they haven't exactly been a top tier team or even a level of consistency.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
How are they going to renovate that building to be hockey friendly without demolishing both ends? Weird.
They very well might demolish both ends. My question about renovation is less about what they need to do to get it done, and more on when they'll find the time to do so. It's not impossible, but it's a daunting task, to be sure.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
This is from 4/18. We already knew this. To be honest the curveball in this whole situation was that we thought the $900mil that Smith got was going towards an all-new building for hockey. Then pretty much as soon as he got the team he pivoted and said it'll be used to extensively renovate the building and make it more of a natural fit for hockey. FWIW, Delta center seats 16,000 seats for hockey already but 4,000 of those are obstructed. That 12,000 figure is for unobstructed seats only.

Probably that, or they'll get "creative" with it. Not to mention, it is much easier to get public funding for renovations than it is for a new arena. One of those probably doesn't need a public vote or bidding on who will build the thing and what it'll look like.
Look what they did in Seattle with Key Arena. With their silly little roof being a landmark they couldn't touch it. So they demolished the entire inside of the structure, dug down, and built an entirely new arena under the roof, partially underground. Engineers can do some crazy shit!

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This is from 4/18. We already knew this. To be honest the curveball in this whole situation was that we thought the $900mil that Smith got was going towards an all-new building for hockey. Then pretty much as soon as he got the team he pivoted and said it'll be used to extensively renovate the building and make it more of a natural fit for hockey. FWIW, Delta center seats 16,000 seats for hockey already but 4,000 of those are obstructed. That 12,000 figure is for unobstructed seats only.

For reference.... it's still roughly a 1000 less than what the Coyotes had downtown in Phoenix in 1995.

I think the "pivot" came when Smith realized the SLC city council was emphatic that any public support for an arena would require it be in downtown SLC instead of out in a suburb as originally proposed.

Look what they did in Seattle with Key Arena. With their silly little roof being a landmark they couldn't touch it. So they demolished the entire inside of the structure, dug down, and built an entirely new arena under the roof, partially underground. Engineers can do some crazy shit!

It also took three years..... didn't have a team to house until the arena was completed.... and also cost nearly twice what the original estimates were.

Big question is going to be if they had already done planning work to renovate Delta Center prior to bringing in the Coyotes. It's a much more complex job than knocking out a few walls and moving stuff around.

Reactions: adsfan

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
They very well might demolish both ends. My question about renovation is less about what they need to do to get it done, and more on when they'll find the time to do so. It's not impossible, but it's a daunting task, to be sure.
Unlike Barclays in Brooklyn, space won’t be an issue that’s for sure.

Reactions: dj4aces

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I also use Blake Coleman (Stefan Noesen works, too) as an example for one side, while the players who were born in Texas (Houston) because their fathers played for the Aeros at the time are an example of no, the NHL being in Dallas is not why those kids grew up to become NHL players, or why they became fans of hockey, or played hockey, etc..

Is there a single actual example of the latter?

The only two Houston-born NHLers I know of are Brian Leetch and Tyler Myers.

Leetch barely lived in Houston.

Tyler Myers and his family were quickly told to move away from Houston once he began to show some pro-level potential. He also spent a fair amount of time in Dallas for training and travel hockey.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Is there a single actual example of the latter?

The only two Houston-born NHLers I know of are Brian Leetch and Tyler Myers.

Leetch barely lived in Houston.

Tyler Myers and his family were quickly told to move away from Houston once he began to show some pro-level potential. He also spent a fair amount of time in Dallas for training and travel hockey.

Thomas Bordeleau.

Logan O'Connor (born Missouri City, TX while his dad played for the Aeros)

Reactions: LT

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I suppose it makes sense to renovate the Delta Center until the new building is constructed, presumably in time for the 3034 winter games. 12k unobstructed seats though? That's pretty rough.
There will probably be a few new arenas over the next 1010 years...

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
No worry.

Bottom line was Matthews was leaning towards playing basketball until his father took him to a Coyotes hockey game. So the Coyotes played a big part of it.

And now there’s Matthew Knies, Josh Doan, and a couple of others close to making the league.

A kid from Scottsdale and Jr. Coyotes 14U program was the 1OA pick in this years WHL draft.
If the Coyotes had gone to Portland, pretty sure Josh Doan would have still taken up the sport. His family has a bit of history with the game...

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Well we know atleast one stadion will still be around.
Albeit highly modified:

4784587762_a0175ed012_b.jpg

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If the Coyotes had gone to Portland, pretty sure Josh Doan would have still taken up the sport. His family has a bit of history with the game...
I could’ve added the Tkachuk brothers too. Except they didn’t come all the way through the AZ youth programs

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I could’ve added the Tkachuk brothers too. Except they didn’t come all the way through the AZ youth programs
Sure but Doan isn't like Matthews whose exposure to the game was because the Coyotes were in town. If the Coyotes weren't in AZ Matthews would still have been there and probably plays baseball (unless he had gone to minor league games and caught the bug that way), whereas Doan would have been in whatever city his dad played in and would have still taken up the sport.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Sure but Doan isn't like Matthews whose exposure to the game was because the Coyotes were in town. If the Coyotes weren't in AZ Matthews would still have been there and probably plays baseball (unless he had gone to minor league games and caught the bug that way), whereas Doan would have been in whatever city his dad played in and would have still taken up the sport.

And all of this is really a nothing argument.

:thumbu:

Reactions: Stumbledore

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Looks like no Tucson Roadrunners games at the Mullett...

Phoenix Suns name G League team 'Valley Suns,' will play home games at ASU's Mullett Arena

To quote:

"The Phoenix Suns have chosen a name for their G League team and found a home arena.

The Valley Suns will play their home games for the inaugural 2024-25 season at Mullett Arena at Arizona State University. G League teams have 24 home games as the regular season usually starts in November."

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2024/05/22/phoenix-suns-g-league-team-arena/73795246007/

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Phoenix Suns name G League team 'Valley Suns,' will play home games at ASU's Mullett Arena

To quote:

"The Phoenix Suns have chosen a name for their G League team and found a home arena.

The Valley Suns will play their home games for the inaugural 2024-25 season at Mullett Arena at Arizona State University. G League teams have 24 home games as the regular season usually starts in November."

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2024/05/22/phoenix-suns-g-league-team-arena/73795246007/
It should not happen anyways aside from getting a game here and there. Maybe they could do a double header once a month or something.

Big win for Tucson though.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It should not happen anyways aside from getting a game here and there. Maybe they could do a double header once a month or something.

Big win for Tucson though.
unless you get an exemption from the AHL and they approve it.... you cannot split territory..... you can expand the territory.... as Portland DID when Cross Arena was renovated and out of commission for 2-3 months....hence why Lewiston was added in their territory in 2013-14, even though the team practiced in Biddeford at the time

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

To quote:

Au contraire.....

Under the current lease with Tucson, the Roadrunners CAN play up to five games in the Phoenix Metro area.

Shoehorning in five dates is easier than 36. Still would require clearance from the AHL.

(Update: Craig Morgan should have a story up in the morning on this. He’s talked to all the entities involved (AHL, Tucson etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad