CXLIII - UPDATED 6/3 - Coyotes arena deal takes next step after Tempe council votes to open negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
^^^^
Just scanning the article I noted a couple of errors and a couple gregarious assumptions.

Beginning with the costs of playing at Glendale. The article makes it seem the Coyotes only paid $500K to play there. When the that $500k was only one part of the costs. And we've seen the statements from ASM Global posted in previous threads to what it was really costing them and it was substantial.

The Coyotes retained 80% of the naming rights at GRA. But Gutierrez recently stated their jersey patch agreement with Gila River pays them more than that. And that is for only the home jersey. They still have the away jersey patch space to sell and Gutierrez there are a couple of candidates pending for that. Gila River is also retaining a major ad location on the ice. It isn't known if any of that is shared between ASU/OVG and the Coyotes or not but the Coyotes do have a one-year agreement with OVG on marketing.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Are they really expecting fans to shell out $200-500 usd for 2-3 tickets + parking + food? I guess they are just bleeding the die hards dry. Thats a ridiculous price for fans who want to go see a game and don't care how close they are to the ice.

zacharytsmith

Jun 25, 2013
1. Tempe City Council will consider rezoning and general plan amendment to allow the project at two hearings on November 22 and November 29. Opponents will then have 30 days to attempt referendum challenge to rezoning, to force a public vote.

2. City of Phoenix has mailed the attached opposition flyer to Tempe residents.

3. Phoenix has posted info on the airport web site, and says that approval of the project by Tempe would constitute a clear violation of the agreement between Phoenix and Tempe. Thus threatening litigation.

Sources: Tempe Entertainment District

Attachments

• Sky Harbor v. Coyotes[25132] (1).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Reactions: Fairview

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I’m a little confused about whatever Kypreos was on about in his podcast today. Aren’t the NHL quality facilities not finished yet? So the players are complaining about sub-NHL quality facilities they knew they were going to have to deal with for a little bit?

Maybe I have the timing of it all wrong.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Are they really expecting fans to shell out $200-500 usd for 2-3 tickets + parking + food? I guess they are just bleeding the die hards dry. Thats a ridiculous price for fans who want to go see a game and don't care how close they are to the ice.

People in Toronto and a few other cities have been doing it for decades. What makes this any different?

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I’m a little confused about whatever Kypreos was on about in his podcast today. Aren’t the NHL quality facilities not finished yet? So the players are complaining about sub-NHL quality facilities they knew they were going to have to deal with for a little bit?

Maybe I have the timing of it all wrong.

The annex isn’t due to be finished until December. There will be four home games before that so ASU is allowing the Coyotes to have the visitors to use the facilities at the community rink (with all the required NHL amenities) while the Coyotes use the visiting team locker room.

NCAA prohibits them from using the ASU men’s team locker facilities.

• Haha
Reactions: bleedblue94

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The annex isn’t due to be finished until December. There will be four home games before that so ASU is allowing the Coyotes to have the visitors to use the facilities at the community rink (with all the required NHL amenities) while the Coyotes use the visiting team locker room.

NCAA prohibits them from using the ASU men’s team locker facilities.

So in other words, if Kypreos wasn’t just making shit up, Coyotes players are complaining about the temporary situation they were warned was going to exist and that whole thing is irrelevant. That’s what I suspected.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
1. Tempe City Council will consider rezoning and general plan amendment to allow the project at two hearings on November 22 and November 29. Opponents will then have 30 days to attempt referendum challenge to rezoning, to force a public vote.

2. City of Phoenix has mailed the attached opposition flyer to Tempe residents.

3. Phoenix has posted info on the airport web site, and says that approval of the project by Tempe would constitute a clear violation of the agreement between Phoenix and Tempe. Thus threatening litigation.

Sources: Tempe Entertainment District

On Sept. 30, 2022, the City of Tempe notified the City of Phoenix Aviation Department (<-- link is that detailed letter) that it will be considering amendments to the Tempe General Plan to alter the current zoning on the site of the proposed Tempe Entertainment District. The City of Tempe (land owner) is requesting that the land zoning be changed to high-density, mixed-use, to accommodate residential, retail, restaurant, hotel, office, and multipurpose event center development.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So in other words, if Kypreos wasn’t just making shit up, Coyotes players are complaining about the temporary situation they were warned was going to exist and that whole thing is irrelevant. That’s what I suspected.

Well since nobody has actually seen the facilities yet for those games it’s all quite irrelevant. Kypreos is just making a lot of noise for the sake of it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
On Sept. 30, 2022, the City of Tempe notified the City of Phoenix Aviation Department (<-- link is that detailed letter) that it will be considering amendments to the Tempe General Plan to alter the current zoning on the site of the proposed Tempe Entertainment District. The City of Tempe (land owner) is requesting that the land zoning be changed to high-density, mixed-use, to accommodate residential, retail, restaurant, hotel, office, and multipurpose event center development.

I think you might be misreading the document.

I read it as:
- The Coyotes TED project is requesting Tempe to re-zone the land.
- Tempe is notifying Phoenix that Tempe might re-zone the land.
- There is no “request“ from Tempe to Phoenix for permission to re-zone the land.
- This looks more like an internal Tempe procedure giving residents an opportunity to object to changing the Tempe Town Lake master development plan.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I think you might be misreading the document.

I read it as:
- The Coyotes TED project is requesting Tempe to re-zone the land.
- Tempe is notifying Phoenix that Tempe might re-zone the land.
- There is no “request“ from Tempe to Phoenix for permission to re-zone the land.
- This looks more like an internal Tempe procedure giving residents an opportunity to object to changing the Tempe Town Lake master development plan.

Agreed. It's opening a 60 day window for any public agency or individual to comment.

As stipulated in ARS §9-461.06, the City of Tempe is providing your agency with a copy of proposed Land Use and Density map amendments to the Tempe GENERAL PLAN 2040. Arizona State law requires a sixty (60) day review period. If your agency has any comments on the proposed amendments, please send your comments no later than 5:00 pm on Monday, November 28, 2022.

Must be enough progress in negotiations to take this next step. Tempe is following the book.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
"while the Coyotes use the visiting team locker room"

It's kinda funny that the player's complaints are irrelevant since it's just the visiting teams stuff. Is there some sort of tradition to make visiting team locker rooms shitty?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
"while the Coyotes use the visiting team locker room"

It's kinda funny that the player's complaints are irrelevant since it's just the visiting teams stuff. Is there some sort of tradition to make visiting team locker rooms shitty?

I was saying it's irrelevant because it's a temporary situation for 4 games. The annex will be locker rooms for the visiting teams too.

Reactions: Chet Manley

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The fact that something is temporary doesn't negate any shittyness it may or may not have. Even the fact that they have to go to a different building is annoying in of itself regardless of how you may or may not feel about millionaires and their occupation when you compare one teams situation to another.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The fact that something is temporary doesn't negate any shittyness it may or may not have. Even the fact that they have to go to a different building is annoying in of itself regardless of how you may or may not feel about millionaires and their occupation when you compare one teams situation to another.

Maybe, maybe not. But it 100% negates the value of reporting it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I wouldn't be surprised if there are arenas with longer walks from the bench to the locker rooms. Looks like about a 120 foot walk from the benches to the annex.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if there are arenas with longer walks from the bench to the locker rooms. Looks like about a 120 foot walk from the benches to the annex.
Any actual evidence or even conjecture to back that up? Not trying to be an ass here but I would be very surprised at that. Only exception of the major sports might be for football due to the size of their locker rooms and configuration of the stadium however that's also once a week and why they have practice fields.

Maybe, maybe not. But it 100% negates the value of reporting it.
How? Because you don't like what's being reported?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Any actual evidence or even conjecture to back that up? Not trying to be an ass here but I would be very surprised at that. Only exception of the major sports might be for football due to the size of their locker rooms and configuration of the stadium however that's also once a week and why they have practice fields.

How? Because you don't like what's being reported?

No, because what’s being reported is a player reaction to a situation they’ll only have to deal with for a week at the end of October-beginning of November. Like I said above, if the annex isn’t up to the right standards, that’s a problem. But the players aren’t going to know that until December.

It’s a report about nothing that doesn’t do anything but fuel negativity.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
No, because what’s being reported is a player reaction to a situation they’ll only have to deal with for a week at the end of October-beginning of November. Like I said above, if the annex isn’t up to the right standards, that’s a problem. But the players aren’t going to know that until December.

It’s a report about nothing that doesn’t do anything but fuel negativity.
Oh wow. So you're with the organization? You know exactly what things are like and what they will be like and have intimate details of their schedule and how things impact them as well? I guess you also get to decide what they should think and feel and say as well? That's a pretty important job man congrats.

Do I need to go on about the stupidity of trying to decide what should or shouldn't be important to other individuals just because you don't want things to "fuel negativity"?

I'm going to say the same thing I said a few weeks ago in a different manner. If there wasn't any negativity to fuel, they wouldn't be able to fuel it. But the reality is that there is, and it's real.

P.S. You're also assuming that even when the annex is completed it will be up to NHL standards especially in comparison to other NHL teams.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

To back what up? I can see where the bench and annex building are physically located on satellite pictures. I don’t know the interior pathways in the arena, but it should be somewhere around 120’ walking distance from the middle of the benches to the annex entrance assuming one or more right angles. Also don’t know where the locker rooms are located in the annex. Worst case I’d guess 160’ walk from the bench to locker rooms.

Don‘t know what the shortest/longest walk is for NHL arenas? I know the Isles old Coliseum has been cited by players in the past as the longest walk. I can also imagine arenas with both NBA and NHL teams having above average walks for one or both sports.

If you’re aware of any source with the bench to locker room walking distance for all the NHL arenas I’d love to look at it.

p.s. And yeah I’ve been in one football locker room that was a 300‘ walk from the center sideline.

Reactions: Stumbledore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad