Cutting the cord (Habs without cable tv)

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I'm in the Toronto area and I've been using the NHL center ice french add-on with Rogers for 5+ years. Last year I switched to Ignite TV and I often have problems recording games. I never watch the games live, usually start at least an hour delayed, so recording games is critical for me. With IgniteTV sometimes when I try to play back the recorded game, I just get the NHL center ice preview channel instead of the recorded content. Rogers technical support doesn't seem to care and closed the last ticket I opened even though they could reproduce the issue.

So now I'm looking for another way to watch the Habs. I have five requirements:

1. Service must be available in the GTA and provide all Habs games
  2. Picture must be high quality
  3. Service must be reliable (not something that may be shut down due to copyright infringement or system instability)
  4. Service must be convenient (no hunting around looking for streams)
  5. Service must provide PVR-like functionality so I can start watching late and pause/rewind. That's how I watch hockey and I need this feature.
Is there any solution out there that meets my needs? I'll save a bundle if I leave Rogers so I have a pretty big budget for this.

Thanks all!

If you are a Lazy Man, there are options but personally I just watch the national broadcasts and tune in to TSN 690. My TVs are generally occupied during the week; son is on Xbox downstairs and wife and daughter watch their sappy TV shows.

In all seriousness, if it is a game I absolutely have to see, I may resort to Reddit but generally just follow on the radio if it's blacked out. Problem with, um, alternate methods is I am not aware of any PVR-like functionality. Legal streams though, such as NHL.TV have this but we still get blacked out because of where we live.

But hey! We get to watch the Leafs all the time!

Reactions: ArsHabs

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Just switch providers, I've never had trouble taping nhl center ice games. This must be an Ignite TV issue whatever that is.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Just wanted to make it clear that I'm not looking for a free service. I'm just looking for a reliable service with PVR capabilities! If this turns out to be free then that's a bonus, but I'm definitely willing to pay.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Thanks, sounds promising. Do you know if it has PVR like functionality, i.e. can I start watching from the beginning well after the game starts? Is it available on Roku or some other kind of device so I can watch on my tv and pause/rewind with my remote control?

I haven't used it yet, but I know the French package does not work on roku. It should work on platforms such as PS 4, Xbox one, amazon fire, android tv, apple tv etc....

I know the games can be watched basically on demand if you get the full package. I assume the same for the French package.

Whether you have to wait for the game to be archived before you can view it is a question I can't answer.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Just wanted to make it clear that I'm not looking for a free service. I'm just looking for a reliable service with PVR capabilities! If this turns out to be free then that's a bonus, but I'm definitely willing to pay.
I spent some time typing a long post about my experience since cutting the cord years ago. I know exactly what you are looking for, as recording is essential for me because of my job.

I can tell you with certainty, what you are looking for doesn't exist exist. Nothing replaces old fashioned cable with PVR.

I've since resigned myself to only watching games live, when im off. I used to watch every game, now probably 10-20

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
In fact i started this exact thread twice in consecutive years. Nothing.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
No issues here at all, depends on the IPTV service and how good your box is and internet connection is... I watched games without any interruptions for $15 a month cant complain there is the odd issue, but overall way better then streaming online from some random website times 1000 :)

Pro Tip: Also if you don't use a VPN, you will get more interruptions, once i turned my VPN on my service has been much better then before.

So I have a question about this. I have amazkn fire stick, and when I check my signal strength, it's usually fair to very good.

If I watch YouTube, I get a decent resolution, but if I try to watch highlights on habs TV, its very pixelated.

So with "high speed internet" from Telus, combined with a good wireless signal, should I not be getting a decent resolution output? I think an issue might be multiple users, who could be streaming their own content at the same time.

I'm no expert though, so I thought I'd ask you younger folks.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
So I have a question about this. I have amazkn fire stick, and when I check my signal strength, it's usually fair to very good.

If I watch YouTube, I get a decent resolution, but if I try to watch highlights on habs TV, its very pixelated.

So with "high speed internet" from Telus, combined with a good wireless signal, should I not be getting a decent resolution output? I think an issue might be multiple users, who could be streaming their own content at the same time.

I'm no expert though, so I thought I'd ask you younger folks.

That sounds more like an issue with the stick or wireless, maybe try updating the software. Personally I would never use an amazon firestick. I usually use my Smart TV apps or android box with a network cable plugged in, can't rely on wireless too much as there's too many issues, always found with my network cable plugged in vs wireless, it will always work better 9 out of 10 times.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I don't know what is still not clear. NHL Live.
1. Legal
2. $179/year gives access to ALL games (not just Habs) - this also includes game en francais for those so inclined
3. Plays on pretty much any streaming device or smart TV or phone
4. On Demand
5. Cable like quality or better

I think that should tick all the boxes

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If you are a Lazy Man, there are options but personally I just watch the national broadcasts and tune in to TSN 690. My TVs are generally occupied during the week; son is on Xbox downstairs and wife and daughter watch their sappy TV shows.

In all seriousness, if it is a game I absolutely have to see, I may resort to Reddit but generally just follow on the radio if it's blacked out. Problem with, um, alternate methods is I am not aware of any PVR-like functionality. Legal streams though, such as NHL.TV have this but we still get blacked out because of where we live.

Don't need anything but an antenna to get the Leafs around here on Saturdays. I'm not sure how local broadcasts work the rest of the week in TO.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Here's a post from another thread, whose intel belongs here:
I do same as the guy you quoted, I got more TV content for less $$ with android TV and a bunch of apps, and all of them could be legal if one desires to do so. Nvidia shield + mini wireless keyboard and mouse havr turned my oldish TV into a real multimedia center, you can even install some steam PC games on that device.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
pray you can get lucky and search hockeydabeast on FB. I think the page is closed to new members but maybe they might accept you.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013

I am so lazy but sometimes I'm bothered by bit rates so I get onto my friend's jarvis ip on his tv and hes got everything covered.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I don't know what is still not clear. NHL Live.
1. Legal
2. $179/year gives access to ALL games (not just Habs) - this also includes game en francais for those so inclined
3. Plays on pretty much any streaming device or smart TV or phone
4. On Demand
5. Cable like quality or better

I think that should tick all the boxes
I'm looking into the NHL Live option now, but there is one thing that's still not clear to me. Can I start watching a game from the beginning, but while it's in progress? For example if my kids go to bed at 8:30, can I start watching at that time, from the opening face-off, with no spoilers about the current score? Then can I pause and rewind if I want to?

Thanks.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I'm looking into the NHL Live option now, but there is one thing that's still not clear to me. Can I start watching a game from the beginning, but while it's in progress? For example if my kids go to bed at 8:30, can I start watching at that time, from the opening face-off, with no spoilers about the current score? Then can I pause and rewind if I want to?

Thanks.

I don't know how accurate that is... if you'd like I can try tomorrow on a game in progress and will let you know.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

Thanks.

My friend, it doesn't exist.

I at one point subscribed to an NHL service promised the same things you want. No spoilers. Recorded. Alas there would be a bar at the bottom, indicating with a yellow stripe when the goals would be scored. I would also, in order to even get to the game have my wife cover the top where the scores were displayed, I then also had to tape paper to the bottom of my screen to hide the yellow goal markers. It was so stressful and took all the fun out of it.

I can help you to not follow the same path, but in order to do so, you need to give up now, and understand the Internet doesn't offer what you want, only satellite and cable offer that. And they are dying and wildly over priced. Ive been where you are, only pain you will find.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

Thanks.
Delete, double post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad