Cutthroats Not Competing in 14-15

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Can they return next year as an AHL team owned by the Kroenkes and the Avs new AHL affiliate? :laugh:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
This is sad, but not overly shocking. That league is a joke, I actually applied for a job with the Wichita Thunder when I lived in Wichita in 2008. They wanted to hire me, but I turned them down, for a job at the US post office because the pay they were offering was a complete joke and an unlivable wage. They wanted me on salary so I'd have to work 55-65 hours a week and they wanted to start me at around 21K. I took the $18.50 an hour for 40 hours a week at the post office.

My dad also used to work with one of the owners of the Colorado Eagles right around the time they made the switch to the ECHL, and one of the main reasons they pushed so hard to join the ECHL was due to the complete cluelessness of the guys in charge of the CHL. They apparently have no business sense what so ever according to the guy my dad did business with. The Eagles owners knew that they'd struggle to survive in the CHL even by selling out every single game.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Lower level hockey is a tough world... not much pay, not much job security, and little chance to move up. That goes for everybody involved from players to coaches to front office etc.

Its a tough road. Spoke with a family member of a former cutthroat player today, looks like he's probably giving up the dream.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Lower level hockey is a tough world... not much pay, not much job security, and little chance to move up. That goes for everybody involved from players to coaches to front office etc.

Certainly seems that way. Must be stressful for everyone who doesn't have good connections in the hockey world. Hopefully everyone had plenty of notice early in the summer.

They should have pulled a Charleston Chiefs and gooned it up all year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Its a tough road. Spoke with a family member of a former cutthroat player today, looks like he's probably giving up the dream.

Damn that sucks.

This is sad, but not overly shocking. That league is a joke, I actually applied for a job with the Wichita Thunder when I lived in Wichita in 2008. They wanted to hire me, but I turned them down, for a job at the US post office because the pay they were offering was a complete joke and an unlivable wage. They wanted me on salary so I'd have to work 55-65 hours a week and they wanted to start me at around 21K. I took the $18.50 an hour for 40 hours a week at the post office.

My dad also used to work with one of the owners of the Colorado Eagles right around the time they made the switch to the ECHL, and one of the main reasons they pushed so hard to join the ECHL was due to the complete cluelessness of the guys in charge of the CHL. They apparently have no business sense what so ever according to the guy my dad did business with. The Eagles owners knew that they'd struggle to survive in the CHL even by selling out every single game.

$21k? I've never heard of a salary that low. That's like minimum wage but you to got to work 60 hour weeks with no OT.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Damn that sucks.

$21k? I've never heard of a salary that low. That's like minimum wage but you to got to work 60 hour weeks with no OT.

Well that's the kicker of being on "salary" and not hourly there is no overtime and it doesn't matter how little or how much you work you still get paid the same.

I think 21K was a little low I think it was like 24K or 25K, whatever it was, it was really low and they were expecting a lot, they basically wanted high quality work but weren't willing to pay for it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well that's the kicker of being on "salary" and not hourly there is no overtime and it doesn't matter how little or how much you work you still get paid the same.

I think 21K was a little low I think it was like 24K or 25K, whatever it was, it was really low and they were expecting a lot, they basically wanted high quality work but weren't willing to pay for it.

Sounds like their version of a paid internship. Usually you get paid hourly for that low, but they wanted someone to put in a lot of hours they didn't want to pay for.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Sounds like their version of a paid internship. Usually you get paid hourly for that low, but they wanted someone to put in a lot of hours they didn't want to pay for.

Thats the feeling I got from it, it was a joke. They wanted A+ work and effort for D+ money. The sad part is it was advertised and presented to me as a full time job during the interview, not an internship. Hence why I took the data entry job at the post office instead where I was hourly but compensated fairly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad