Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

King of details: Cutter Gauthier

When it comes to the finer details, Cutter Gauthier stood out as a master. The most telling statistic highlighting this prowess is xG Buildup. Essentially, each event, encompassing retrievals, breakups, breakouts, entries, and offensive zone passes, is assigned a value based on the expected outcome of that play. For instance, an entry up the middle is more likely to result in a scoring chance than one up the side, and the stats accurately reflect this.

Gauthier led the tournament in xG Buildup, encapsulating his impact perfectly. He not only completed the most controlled entries (35), but also excelled in exits under pressure (12), and showcased a unique ability to utilize the inside on numerous transition plays (18). In the offensive zone, he led in faceoffs directly leading to chances (8), ranked second in completed slot passes (14), third in scoring chance assists (17), and featured prominently among the tournament leaders in secondary shot assists and shot assists from the neutral and defensive zones.

With impeccable positioning, cross-ice vision, inside drives, and precise passes through opponents, Gauthier expertly orchestrated Team USA’s offense across the entire rink. This performance represented Gauthier at his peak, with still room for growth.

Despite being a machine in creating advantages, Gauthier also negated many opportunities. While possessing a lethal shot, his effectiveness is compromised by an inclination towards low-percentage shots, particularly off the rush. His sole high-danger shot in the entire tournament at 5-on-5 is insufficient, highlighting the need for more patience and improved play selection. With these refinements, Gauthier has the potential to evolve into a formidable offensive force. Until then, he stands as one of the prospect sphere’s premier complementary hubs.

An excerpt from EP's World Junior notebook.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
This is from Pronman of the Athletic back in August 23, 2023.

Cutter Gauthier, LW

1/19/2004 | 6-foot-2 | 189 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 5 in 2022
Tier: Top of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average
Shot: High-end

Analysis: Gauthier had a strong freshman season at Boston College. His best hockey was with Team USA between the world juniors but especially the world championships where he was very impressive versus men. Gauthier has a prototypical NHL skill set. He’s a big, fast, skilled center with a natural offensive touch. He can create in transition due to his hands and feet. He can make tough plays to teammates. His shot is very dangerous and can beat NHL goalies from distance. His compete is fine, not a major asset but good enough and with his frame he can win NHL battles. The biggest debate with Gauthier is whether he’s an NHL wing or center. It’s TBD on that front, but he has top-line tools and should score and play in the league for a long time.

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
what number do you think he'll wear?
seems like hes always been 9,17, or 19

I could see him rocking 97, 71, 22, or 13(is that taboo?)

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
funny-69.gif

Reactions: Kalv

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I was hesitant on acquiring him first, but his latest interview on Ducks Stream changed my opinion. Seems genuinely excited about joining us

+1. Initially upset about losing Drys but genuinely excited about Cutter. Seems like a good compliment to Z.

EDIT: Roughly when are we expecting him to sign? March?

Last edited:

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
When Boston College's season ends. Frozen Four is on April 11 & 13, 2024 so that's the latest possible date. The regional playoffs are March 28-31 so if they get eliminated there.

Then there is the possibility they miss it entirely, but I wouldn't count on that, they're very close to top of Hockey East.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
+1. Initially upset about losing Drys but genuinely excited about Cutter. Seems like a good compliment to Z.

EDIT: Roughly when are we expecting him to sign? March?

I was shocked at losing Drysdale (a top-pairing RD for us), but Cutter is a forward in the mold of McTavish and Jones - big, physical power forward. Except, Cutter can score. (I think Hazy said like Jones, but can score.) We are missing that type of youth with speed on the wings in our top-6. Cutter will help balance out the two lines by being on a different line from Mac.

Also, he does play center. In case of rash injuries, he can be put there in a pinch. What's great about acquiring Cutter is that he's probably NHL-ready next year, yet another top-10 draftee bypassing the AHL.

Next year's potential lineup

Cutter-Carlsson-Terry
Z-Mac-Killorn
Vatrano- ? - Strome
McGinn - ? - ?

Forward RFA's after this season at NHL level: C Lundy, LW Jones, RW Leason, C Groulx,
Forward UFA's after this season at NHL level: C Carrick

Forward RFA's after this season at AHL level: LW/RW Tracey, LW Regenda, LW Nesterenko

Yikes, lots of forwards needing to be re-signed, but not enough NHL roster spots. Cutter is probably better than all of those forwards listed that that are RFA or UFA.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I was shocked at losing Drysdale (a top-pairing RD for us), but Cutter is a forward in the mold of McTavish and Jones - big, physical power forward. Except, Cutter can score. (I think Hazy said like Jones, but can score.) We are missing that type of youth with speed on the wings in our top-6. Cutter will help balance out the two lines by being on a different line from Mac.

Also, he does play center. In case of rash injuries, he can be put there in a pinch. What's great about acquiring Cutter is that he's probably NHL-ready next year, yet another top-10 draftee bypassing the AHL.

Next year's potential lineup

Cutter-Carlsson-Terry
Z-Mac-Killorn
Vatrano- ? - Strome
McGinn - ? - ?

Forward RFA's after this season at NHL level: C Lundy, LW Jones, RW Leason, C Groulx,
Forward UFA's after this season at NHL level: C Carrick

Forward RFA's after this season at AHL level: LW/RW Tracey, LW Regenda, LW Nesterenko

Yikes, lots of forwards needing to be re-signed, but not enough NHL roster spots. Cutter is probably better than all of those forwards listed that that are RFA or UFA.
I think I'd try:
Z-Mac-Vatrano
Cutter-Carlsson-Terry
Killorn-Lundy-Strome
McGinn/Jones-Carrick/Gaucher/Groulx-Leason

Tracey the first LW called up, Perreault the first RW called up

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think I'd try:
Z-Mac-Vatrano
Cutter-Carlsson-Terry
Killorn-Lundy-Strome
McGinn/Jones-Carrick/Gaucher/Groulx-Leason

basically how I see the line up also….. maybe pick up a heavy weight as a 13th. Also not super sure carrick will be around.

Reactions: lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
basically how I see the line up also….. maybe pick up a heavy weight as a 13th. Also not super sure carrick will be around.
Ideally we could replace McGinn with a Des type... can fight, PK, and not be a liability on the 4th line. Unfortunately, not many of those out there.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ideally we could replace McGinn with a Des type... can fight, PK, and not be a liability on the 4th line. Unfortunately, not many of those out there.

McGinn's grown on me. He's got speed, can deliver heavy checks, and is defensive-minded. I'd rather deliver more heavy hits than fighting b/c you don't spend five minutes in the sin bin when you check hard legally.

Our fighter remains Carrick. And if Groulx returns, then Carrick gets the green light to fight if need be.

Reactions: lwvs84
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Not for nothing, but wouldn’t acquiring Gauthier just push players like Tracey and Perreault down the depth chart?

I don’t buy Verbeeks MO on ‘over-seasoning’ prospects. Minty and LaCombe should’ve at least had some AHL time if we were going but his direction. Could be just me

Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad