Cut off birthdate for NHL draft?

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Sorry if this is on here somewhere, but I can't find it. What is the latest birth date for guys heading into the NHL draft.
For example, Ryan Pulock was born 6th of October, which NHL draft will he be eligible for, 2012 or 2013?

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Sorry if this is on here somewhere, but I can't find it. What is the latest birth date for guys heading into the NHL draft.
For example, Ryan Pulock was born 6th of October, which NHL draft will he be eligible for, 2012 or 2013?

i think it is Sept 15. so it will be in his 19th year not 18th year.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
October 1993 would be 2012, October 1994 is 2013.

The above poster is correct. You have to be 18 by September 15th to be eligible for the draft.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Thanks guys! So Pulock and Roy (from BWK's) both have to wait till 2013 to be drafted, wow. Remember these 2 names.

supersized

Feb 23, 2010
Thanks guys! So Pulock and Roy (from BWK's) both have to wait till 2013 to be drafted, wow. Remember these 2 names.

Roy has a lot of work to do to be first round but has the potential. As for Pulock I see him bieng a top three pick in the 2013 draft! I used to see Redden play all the time and I would say Pulock is a better version of him...

Analyzer*

If I was good enough, I'd just make the cut with a September 14th birth date.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Pulock is going to be great.

I think he contends with Shinaruk as the WHL's top player for the draft in 2013.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Roy has a lot of work to do to be first round but has the potential. As for Pulock I see him bieng a top three pick in the 2013 draft! I used to see Redden play all the time and I would say Pulock is a better version of him...
They are totally different players, Roy all offence and Pulock more of a 2-way. Rou had a stop start season with injuries and KM not playing him every night, but since he got a regular shift he has improved so much. His offence and vision is likely better than Robak. Pulock reminds me of an Aulie in the d-zone and more like a Hamonic on offence.
Pulock is a steady eddie, Roy more of high risk high reward player imo

turbine

Jan 5, 2006
I wish they'd make draft eligibility based purely on birthyear - ie all 1993s for the 2012 draft. Yes, that equates to a 19 year old draft and the union and overzealous young players will never go for it, but it makes a lot of sense. For one, it eliminates the advantage held by late birthdays (3rd season of junior), and I think most clubs would prefer that extra year to determine a players development and potential.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I wish they'd make draft eligibility based purely on birthyear - ie all 1993s for the 2012 draft. Yes, that equates to a 19 year old draft and the union and overzealous young players will never go for it, but it makes a lot of sense. For one, it eliminates the advantage held by late birthdays (3rd season of junior), and I think most clubs would prefer that extra year to determine a players development and potential.

Problem with this is that guys like Crosby, Staal, Stamkos, Duchene and Skinner would all have had to wait an extra year.

There are 18 year olds who should be in the NHL. Why punish them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad